Is it just me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamantine

Reaction score
I'm still training and now I've built up enough confidence using my nail trainer I'm looking to practise on some real nails. I've posted on my fb asking for friends to pm me but as soon as I say I will be charging a nominal fee just to cover my costs and fuel none if them are interested!

They all know I am a single mum in benefits and money is tight so why do they expect something for nothing? Even at the hairdressers or at a college you still have to pay for your treatments so why am I so different?

You are quite right to charge something to cover your costs.

If you do nails free people just won't look after them as well as they should and then when they start breaking etc they'll be back wanting free repairs and you'll be left wondering if it's your work at fault which most likely it won't be. This in turn will affect your confidence AND leave you out of pocket :|

Stick to your guns and keep charging :hug:

how about getting them to come to you ? surely then you would not need to charge very much ?
out of interest how much wear you asking ?

if you are in training your product, kit should be payed for with your training costs ?
I hate it when courses advertise saying you can make XXXX off back from the cost of the training kit .... it might be true if you are already trained and just switching from one brand to another but if like you and many others you are training from the start then they do miss lead by making it sound like the kit will pay for your training instantly .... like all things it takes time, determination and practice and experince. :)

remember as much as they are getting a set of nails you are also getting the practice .
experience can not be bought .xxxx

I want to know if my cuticle work is good enough and my apex strong enough and if they don't look after them properly how will I know plus I can't afford to give everything away for free. I've spent hundreds I don't really have on supplies when I could have used it to finish off my house!

Problem now is I'm left with no one as the only people that are willing to pay are employed by the NHS do can't!

My mum wants a set of French extensions for her cruise in the summer but has
Ever had anything other than polish so this weekend I'm doing a set for her to try out see if she likes them but I have to soak them off on Monday. That won't be enough time to see if my cuticle work us up to scratch is it?

I have been giving her regular manicures minus polish for the past 4 weeks though so it might be but still doesn't help me with anyone else.

I was looking at £10 for a set to start with. Very very minimal!

I want to know if my cuticle work is good enough and my apex strong enough and if they don't look after them properly how will I know

Exactly. And tbh £10 is very reasonable imo.

You say you have a child - are they at school or playgroup? If so you could maybe put up a notice advertising or hand out some business cards. Vistaprint are very cheap for good business cards.

I have ordered business cards just waiting on them to arrive but that isn't meant to be till next month.

My youngest child's nursery is having an open evening tonight and in friends with the owner so I might say to her tonight if I could leave some at the sign in book and also offer a reduced rate for mothers if they quote the name of the nursery once I qualify?

Maybe you should explain what you said in the first post to them? It's not fair for them to expect you to give them everything for free especially if they know your circumstances. Some people are just selfish like that. And £10 is very reasonable! Most places charge £20 plus for a full set.
I hope you find someone willing soon!

I have explained but still not interested unless it's free. Not the people I want for clients that's for sure!

Just hope this isn't a sign that my business won't take off!

I'm going to put an ad on my local fb buying/selling page but I'm not sure how to word it.

I was going to say models required but that makes it sound like I will do it for free or pay them!

Any suggestions?

Hello
Why don't you set up a Facebook page. State on there what treatments you are offering and how much you are charging. State you are training but still have to pay for materials which this is what they are paying for. Then state that once your qualified if they have had a treatment from you before they get 10% off. Usually friends do want treatments for nothing. I soon found this out.

I think I will once I get my business cards. Then I can use one of them as my profile pic but for now I really need to get some practise in and some money earned back coz I have 4 more courses planned (mani/pedi, gel, gel polish and nail art) and no way to pay for them!

Just be careful about advertising if you're on benefits. Even if you are taking a "minimal amount" to cover costs, this can impact on those and you should still inform DWP as you're classed as "working".

That was another thing I was worried about too. God it's so hard! Feel like my hands are tied and all I want is a career!

Hi Adamantine, I think you're quite right to charge a nominal fee to cover your costs even when training. If you do the treatments for free you're setting a precedent; sadly some people will always want something for nothing, even if they are friends :)

Pure's suggestion is a good one, if you can get just a couple of the 'mums' from the nursery to practice on then hopefully you'll build up a network from there on word of mouth.

Good luck! x

I'm feeling the same as you hun. I've just qualified and while I was training I offered manicures for £5 so I could get some practice. Only 3 people had one and that was ages ago and none of them have asked again:sad: I think I did a good job and can do a better job now.
How will i get people to pay the £15 I was hoping to charge when I can't even get many clients when they're paying £5??:sad::sad:

Hi
I have not even started doing my course yet and friends are already saying i could do theirs for free. bloody cheek.
I have two children myself and i know how money is tight.
For the meni and pedi course you need three models so i got no choice to use my friends as i have no family around me. But after i have passed they will still expect it for free. but i am just going to say no as what i will be charging is cheaper than a salon.

When I first started my course I charged a fiver for mani/pedi to cover my product costs, I'm at the end of my course and charge a tenner and have done for a while, my clients know that in July when I receive my certificates my prices rise again and to my real prices BUT they know as a thank you for letting me practice my techniques they will receive a discount on my full prices. They all seem to be good with that idea.

Let mums at school know that you're in training and looking for guinea pigs and that it will cost them minimal costs, give them a card or your number and see how many you get to practice on. Hth ;)

I would not have dreamt of charging my models for college assessments. They had to give up hours of their time for an inexperienced nail tech to practice. I needed them more than they needed me. If you want to be good enough to charge a good fee you need to practice a lot. Also if you practice on friends for free it gets your work out there - cheaper than advertising. Just another way of looking at the situation.

I never charged for assessments! The college do charge and they make the money (even though I was using my own products!) but surely if I'm going to a clients house to charge £5 isn't asking much! I didn't start charging until I was very nearly qualified so it wasn't like I didn't l
Ow what I was doing !

Latest posts

Back