Is it possible?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthelashmobile

Reaction score
Hi Geeks.

I'm currently working full time in an office job 8:30 til 5 Monday to Friday.

I'm looking at doing a part time hair course at a local college in September. This would be 6 hours a week over 2 evenings.

This year I've done 1 evening a week doing a nail tech course which i've almost finished. Only a few more weeks to go. I've been told the hair course has a lot of 'homework' where as the nail tech course didn't have much really.

Is this possible around a full time job?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

What are you hoping to get out of it?

The actual training is straight forward although the colouring side is very technical but realistically, you won't be a competent cutter or colourist afterwards.

Chances are that you will need a couple of years on the job experience plus train to at least level 3 or equivalent before you will feel confident tackling most client requests.

I've wanted to do hair since I was 18 but was unssucesful in getting an apprenticeship so talked myself out of it and thought that I wasn't good enough. I know it's a silly way to look at it but I was young.

I now would really love to have a go and it would be a great skill along with my nail tech qualification to be able to work part time (hopefully) when we start a family which again hopefully will be in the next 3-5 years.

I know I won't be fantastic as soon as I finish college and I would want to do a level 3 afterwards to build my confidence and technique.

Hi Geeks.

I'm currently working full time in an office job 8:30 til 5 Monday to Friday.

I'm looking at doing a part time hair course at a local college in September. This would be 6 hours a week over 2 evenings.

This year I've done 1 evening a week doing a nail tech course which i've almost finished. Only a few more weeks to go. I've been told the hair course has a lot of 'homework' where as the nail tech course didn't have much really.

Is this possible around a full time job?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

I'm full time employed and evenings and weekends do hair extensions, I'm also doing my level 2 hairdressing and barbering and found I still have time to do the course and home work and revision that is set very week for me I've nearly competed my level 2, my tutor told me to wait 6-8 months before applying for my level 3 so I can get more confident with what I learnt in level 2

I did an apprenticeship (City and guilds NVQ level 2) so was at college 6 hours a week.
We had minimal homework (as far as I remember) mainly revision and extra bits we wanted to do.
The struggle was getting models in to practice/get assessed on as we went to college during the day.

During level 3 again we had minimal homework. However a lot more than level 2.
There were some people who only came in for 12 hours a week and they massively struggled with getting models for assessment again.

In level 3 it was an amalgamation of level 2 apprentices, level 2 full time course attendees and 'mature' students.

As an apprentice we were twiddling our thumbs because we were usually quicker than full time attendees.
The full time ones were more in tune with the college salon setup and how the lecturers wanted you to complete paperwork etc.
the 'matures'were the most shocking stylists I've experienced. They had completed NVQ 1 and 2 within 18 months. One didn't know how to apply regrowth or cut a graduated Bob.

I know I've gone off on a tangent. But just gives you something to think about.

Oh dear. Sounds like I could end up being shocking then as a 'mature'. :(

Obviously everyone is different!

If you put the hard work in you could, and I'm sure will be fab.

Recommend getting into a good salon as work experience.

Is there any students currently doing the course you will be doing to ask about the work load? Or pop in and talk to the course coordinator?

I know I'm only messing.

The fact that I would have to pay just over a grand to do the course would mean I was fully committed as I wouldn't want to be wasting my money. The salon that I currently go to are great and I'm sure they may let me work Saturdays to help build my confidence and experience.

I've applied for the course and will get invited to a presentation within the next couple of months so I will meet the tutors and ask more questions then.

Gosh!! Thought I would have worried you!!

You're doing a 40 hour week, take away sleeping 9 hours a night and then the 6 hour course. You still have roughly 100 hours a week extra to do work.
So what if your life goes on hold for 2 years?
Once you're all done you can be out galavanting daily!!

That's a very good point. I have a wedding to plan as well but I've sorted the biggest stuff for that! I like to be busy :p

Latest posts

Back