Is it too late in the year to do a veg garden?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Face Geek

Reaction score
I'm sick of paying £££ for veg! We used to have a garden and the food was soo yummy! We don't have much space here but I've talked dh into letting me claim a little triangle section(about 1 meter x 1 meter) for veg. Trouble is it's late in the year and I know nothing about seasons here. What can I plant now? We'd like carrots, spring onions, lettuce, potatoes possibly(someone suggested doing these in a large plastic box??) corn and tomatoes.

I know it's a bit late for carrotts, corn and tomatoes but what about the other stuff? ANY tips or tricks or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated. I really want to show DH that I can make this work and we don't need to pay 80p for a small head of lettuce!!! He doubts me at the minute, but is indulging me. I gotta make it work!

I asked my Dad this question last week, he is a gardener and he said yes it is too late now. You could give it a try, but I don't think it would be worth it.

I dont know much about seasons and stuff, but wre have started growing our own stuff too. We have a tomato plant in the window which seems to be doing fine, and we have a chilli plant in the windowsill too. Both of these are doing fine and we only planted them recently.

Outside we have some strawberries. Although these are typically summer fruits, you can plant them later and get an autumn harvest. Ours is covered in green strawberries at the moment so I hope they go nice and red and juicy with the hot weather we are supposed to see in September. I think strawberries are a good thing to plant since they are easy to grow and bloody expensive to buy!

Also, we have some herbs. Inside we have basil, and outside we have Rosemary, thyme, chives and sage. Again these are easy and can be planted out of season, and they are expensive to buy, a quid for a little plastic bag from the supermarket.

If I were you I would just have a go with different stuff and see what works. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall has a tv series in which he encourages people to grow their own veg, maybe there is a website where you could get some tips?

I bought a few books from Amazon all about growing fruit and vegatables from tubs and grow bags.

Hi ,

Take a look at this site .
Vegetable Diary Planner shows when to plant vegetables

It will tell you when to plant and when to harvest all different kinds of veg. I use it all the time .

I grow runner beans outside in a big pot . Also tomatoes in a pot . As someone else said herbs in pots are great .

Is is lovely to be doing some cooking that calls for herbs and just go outside to pick wehat you need . MUCH ,MUCH,MUCH cheaper.Karen

Last edited:
I'd say so yes, unless your willing to pay thru the nose for plants aready grown, and 1/2 the point is to save money.
Ive found the weather to be really pants this year and I've only had one ripe courgette, cucumber and a dozen razz-berries so far, no red toms or peppers yet..
prepare for next year, start sorting out the area where you wanna grow things, I usually cant be bothered to do that next year when its too cold

You should be just about in time to plant cabbage if you want....we've just had home grown sweetheart cabbage tonight....yum. But you could also get regular of Savoy in. And some winter greens suchas Curly Kale can go in soon. Sadly most other things are too late, unless you can get some small plants at the garden centre and grow from there this season.

We've had a bumper crop this year. Over 15kg of courgettes, 20 or 30 cabbages and cauliflowers so far, ongoing supply of mushrooms, strawberries, peas, beans, and we've just brought our first spuds up which were delicious! Plently more good stuff to come too!

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of thing, but I saw Jamie Oliver had a really good crop of potatoes and he was able to keep it through the winter by picking them when they were perfectly ripe and storing them in packed soil with a wood board over it.

Apart from that, how do you go about storing your "bumper crop" =P to use through the winter? Or do you just plant different things for different seasons?

my partner has just bought me one of those new aerogarden thingies......supposed to be great for certain fruit and veg all year round.......i will soon let you all know......lol

stanleyann

Latest posts

Back