Is my City & Guilds diploma still valid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeymummy

Reaction score
Hi all

i would like some advice on my certificate.

I trained in hairdressing back in the 80's and did a city and guilds in hairdressing back in 87.
I was wondering if the certificate is still 'valid' as i recently saw on the front of my diploma that my name would be in the register for one year

i didnt re -add my name but was wondering could i still contact city and guilds to be re added and is my certificate , at the moment, worthless ?

cheers in advance

I would contact city and guilds and ask them hun,
can you email them your query :hug:

Hi , honeymummy if you have a City & Guilds certificate diploma
Qualifications ?
(one that you put on the wall you mean ?)
one that was sent to you from City & Guilds because you passed your exams ?
or you may have collected it from them ?

if so then it should always remain valid
I have never heard of adding your name each year for validity ,

Ps I have some City& Guilds older than yours lol :) x
and a few years ago I rang up and checked this very thing out with them because someone told me mine weren't valid :eek:,

but City& Guilds said to me "that once given a City & Guilds Certificate they are always valid ",
also as you have had to work hard to earn and gain your City & Guilds certificate so they last and don't just " run out "

but as this was a few years ago

as Loubylou says theres no harm in checking it again for peace of mind :)

do let us know how you get on ?:hug:

If you go onto the city and guilds site you can request a copy of your certificate if you haven't got one.
My sister took her city and guilds about 20 years ago and she has just done a refresher course but to go on the course we had to contact C&G to find out about her certificate. They are still vaild and they have records going back over 100 years!

I got my City & Guilds back in '87 and '88 too and never thought for 1 minute that they were not valid. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about hun ;)

Thanks for all your replys girls.
Ive been asked to do some hair in the salon i work in ( im a beauty therapist too ) as one stylsist has left
so was a wee bit conceren about my certificate.

thanks again xxxx

Hi

I'm in a similar situation so i have just emailed the C/G board to find out if my old certifacates are still valid, they just replied back saying within 2 days waiting response.

Although i have kept my old certificates safe i forgot to ask a question, i was living with my parents when i first done my Government course known then as NCVQ.

I wanted to know if i need to change my old registration address too my present one on these certificates?

Last edited:
I took my city and guilds in 1989 and our names were added to the 'state registered hairdressers' or the 'national haridressers federation' list for a year, after which we could pay £40ish every year to stay on that list. I think the whole concept of state registration has been discussed on here before and the general concensous is that its a waste of time and money. I used to get a magazine every 6 months telling me about all the work they were doing trying to make the government have a list of hairdressers who had qualifications - I think they are still banging that drum 20 odd years later:rolleyes:.
You are qualified, you know what your doing so don't worry. :biggrin:

your c& g will be still valid its the state registered hairdresser that will have lapsed ..
but you can get yourself put back on it i let mine lapse but paid a subscription and just had to send my certs in for proof i was qualifed xx

The Hairdressing Council

your c& g will be still valid its the state registered hairdresser that will have lapsed ..
but you can get yourself put back on it i let mine lapse but paid a subscription and just had to send my certs in for proof i was qualifed xx

The Hairdressing Council

Hi there

Thanks that is good to know as i need to take proof of my previous certificates when i enroll for my next college course, i have already done my Health and Safety unit otherwise i will have to pay an extra cost to do it again.

Your City and Guilds certificate is definately still valid. My mum recently had the same query. She qualified in 1968. We contacted the Scottish Qualifications Agency and they confirmed this. However, to order a copy of the certificate would have cost £38.

Latest posts

Back