Is standard of colleges dropping???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini

Reaction score
Hey there,Just thought I'd start a discussion on colleges. I'm currently doing my nvq level 3 and even though my tutors are good and I have learnt a lot from them, I also feel like I have learnt just as much from salon geek and my own research from the internet and books. A friend of mine is doing her level 2 beauty and I was shocked to hear some of the stuff that goes on in her class! Such as basically students are passing their assessments when quite clearly they shouldn't be! Things like tools are not being sterilised and timeing of treatments are way under what they should be. Apparently there was one girl who was doing waxing and didn't test the temp of the wax before she applied it to her client and burnt her yet she still passed her assessment!!! My friend spoke to her tutor about it and apparently she sais ''They didn't have time to fail students''!!!! I find this shocking, I pride myself on being a good therapist and put everything into doing the best treatment possible for my client. I understand tutors have a lot of work to do but I think people are passing their courses and quite clearly shouldn't be! I think it is unsafe and unprofessional for some of theses students to be in the industry! :hug:

Hello!
I agree. Although the teaching at my college was of a good standard and we were always taught to practice excellent hygine, I have learned quite a lot from this site that I wasn't told there and that now seems obvious! For example, using talc or oil before waxing. So simple but I'd say quite a vital part of the treatment!! I guess a lot comes down to experience in the real world outside of college!
Caris xx
Posted via Mobile Device

Because of what I had heard about the standard of teaching at colleges, my expectations on attending college for my NVQ Level 2 in Beauty Therapy were not high at all, even although the college I chose has a very good reputation.

To my great surprise, I have been really impressed with the standard of teaching I am receiving. It could not be better!:suprised: I am pushed to my absolute limit and have learned a great deal and also benefited from the manicure and pedicure units, even though I have trained to an advanced level in these. My two educators are also only in their mid-20s but are so professional and so well equipped for what they teach they have my utmost respect and admiration. They are both very strict which I am also pleased about, they take a great pride in what they do and they are available at any time to any of the students for guidance. I have even known of them speaking to students in the evening or at weekend. A couple of the girls in my class have been told that they won't be passing their Level 2 as they are not at a professional standard.

I think it is a pity that so many generalisations are made of college teaching. Like every industry, you have the good and the bad. Perhaps I have been very lucky but the course is also what you make of it. I will be going on to Level 3 next year and have no illusions as to the hard work I will need to put in but I am looking forward to the challenge.:) I hope my educators next year will be as good.

For anyone embarking on any training course, make sure you do your research on the training provider in advance, whether it be a private ecuation centre or government college.

hmmmmmm! I can see both sides.

I have taught at FE colleges and the empathsis is on

a) retention of numbers
b) passing people
c) covering areas on how not to be sued

it is up to the over stretched tutor to fit in passion, professionalism and more importantly practical experience.

I spent more time ticking boxes and writing in reference numbers than anything else.

I did all my own handouts, my own preparation and marking in my own time (ie unpaid).

Saying that, if you are an experienced tutor who hasn not got to prepare handouts because the college you are teaching at actually provides them, then you may have sufficient time to teach people to a good standard.

That is awful. I think this is why we must really look into what college we choose to go to. My college was so strict there is no way you would be allowed to get away with this!
Some students failed 30 assessments or more and didn't even pass through not getting them done in time xxx

When I was doing my assessors qualifications I had to assess the full time courses. Now my experience of teaching has always been mature students on part time evening or weekend courses.

I was in total shock for the whole time of my assessments. I walked into the classes to assess the tutor and was horrified by what I saw. The students were all 16-18, their tunics just covered their bum cheeks, and they were chewing gum. They were at assessment stage and they constantly referred to their notes, infact their notes where positioned on their 'clients' legs, as in the whole folder was lying on their clients legs whilst they 'did' reflexology.

they spent most of the time talking amongst each other whilst working, and talked about boyfriends, getting p*ssed and what they did with their boyfriends.

Luckily, I've only ever had to teach adults and have never experienced that again. I still shudder when I think about it.

so, young adults like that are being qualified just (in my opinion) for turning up every day.

a) retention of numbers
b) passing people

it is up to the over stretched tutor to fit in passion, professionalism and more importantly practical experience.

I spent more time ticking boxes and writing in reference numbers than anything else.

I did all my own handouts, my own preparation and marking in my own time (ie unpaid).

Saying that, if you are an experienced tutor who hasn not got to prepare handouts because the college you are teaching at actually provides them, then you may have sufficient time to teach people to a good standard.
I completely agree with you. Think there is to much emphasis on these things and not enough on practical issues. I agree that you should do research into any college you are thinking of attending, but the college I am on about achieved 'Outstanding' by Ofsted last year. It achieved grade 1 in every category apart from 1 which it got grade 2! My friend is doing her level 2 and has 2 tutors. 1 of them is in her 20's and is new to teaching but she says she's is brilliant, sticks to the rules and is quite strict and she does fail students but the other 1 has been doing it for 20 years and is the one who made the comment about not having time to fail people and basically lets the students do what they want! I also find it quite amazing how many people drop out of beauty! I do think people think it is an easy option and don't realise the amount of work and theory that goes into it! When I did my level 2, to start with there was 15 in my class but only 8 of us ended up finishing it!:hug:

a) retention of numbers
b) passing people

I think, on a whole, tutors like you are few and far between, sadly. I love sharing my knowledge with other people, and if I was a tutor, I would be like you and insist on the highest standards of hygieneand professionalism.

I would rewrite handouts as many of our college notes were confusing and in some case inaccurate or unclear :rolleyes:. Like you, I believe I would be prepared to mark tests and assignments over and above college time.

I went to two private colleges: First one hygiene was very low down on the agenda (in the six weeks I was with them it wasn't covered), there were no hand outs and the curriculum seemed to be all over the place (college very badly organised) and I don't think that our tutor was a qualified tutor, so I left. Second college was absolutely first class. The tutors were all qualified tutors as well as working in industry, the classes were all structured and assignments set. If we didn't come up to scratch we got told about it in no uncertain terms. And no hesitation in failing anyone who didn't read the correct standard.

From what client's have told me, they have been in salons that have been dirty, badly equiped much to the amusement of the therapists running backwards and forward between treatment rooms, yes they leave their clients on their own one thing we were told never to do. One of my clients ended up with a fungal infection from dirty equipment used and a number have all said that they have been treated with filthy wax pots with a spatular that was sitting on the top of it and not a fresh one. Different standards of work, even though the therapists are supposed to have gone to the same cosmetic house for training. The list goes on.

I will admit that when we trade test therapists for jobs, I'm pretty horrified at how low the standards can be. very few have practised enough to be judged competant at salon standard. Most college leavers are horrified at the exacting standards within a salon.
i feel a little sorry for them because the colleges tell them they are fully qualified and know everything. Most colleges are just passing them if they show up, not if they can perform safely and competently

I think that there are several issues going on with colleges and also industry.
Firstly, I think that colleges within an amount of time can only teach so much. They have to get the students up to a standard with not just practical assessments but also theory. Theory can take a lot of effort to get to a standard as well. Usually the courses only cover a year or 2 full time. Even then full time can be only a few hours a week. So some of that comes down to the individuals commitment.
Secondly, I think that a lot of employers think that the colleges are responsible for teaching the student everything and for the most part don't want to spend a cracker on training. Of course I am speaking from an Australian point of view, but how many people have paid for their own training when working? Every therapist here that has had extra training has has funded their own because they are passionate about beauty therapy. But do they get any extra wages, sick pay, job security...no.
Thirdly, what happens in the beauty salons is what is happening in the colleges. They want to pay as little as possible and get as much out of the the lecturer. My goodness...not even paying for distribution of course material is disturbing. No wonder the standards are dropping.
I think that the whole industry needs to look at itself from colleges, therapists and employers.

I don't doubt for a minute that 99.9% of educators teaching in colleges aren't passionate, dedicated and stretched to the limit for many reasons.

But...

Some educators in some cases, have at a minimum 2 classes at the same time in the same college.
ie:full time day beauty diploma - night waxing/tinting.
Add part time students for the year, doing only certain modules to the full time class ...... long day, lots of students.

Whilst running their own business..... by the seat of their pants.
Teaching private classes....... are they sleepwalking by now?
Updating their skills and qualifications ....... more paperwork

Add family etc and it gets clearer that some educators should rethink how much they take on and some colleges on who they employ.

J

i can speak for all areas, colleges, students, etc but i my self have noticed that standards have dropped.

i worked in a salon and one of the therapists had just qualified nvq 2. she came into me crying one cos a client wanted red polish, she said shed tried topaint her nails and kept flooding the cuticle. she admitted to me she had never once been shown how to paint a nail at college!!

also another therpaist same college again just qualified had only done 2 bikini waxes (literally the ones needed to pass her ranges) and they are suppose to be qualified.

i agree college cant teach everthing you learn that or get taught things from your fellow workers, who hopefully have been the game longer etc so you can absorb things. but when the next generation of therapist try and learn from the current ones the knowledge in some cases wont be as good.

i hope i dont offend anyone im trying to just generalise

xx

with all colleges, be it further education, higher education or private fast track courses is that they can teach the fundamentals, but it is up to the student to practise, practise, practise.

for my reflexology course I worked on 40+ pairs of feet before I was deemed qualifable.
for my Indian head massage i worked on 10 bodies and then more before I advertised my services.

We can teach people to do anything, but that person then has to take responsibility to learn it to their best abilities.

i have been on a lot of short intensive courses and although you are given the certificate at the end of the day, you yourself KNOW that you can't go out their the next day and take payment for a professional treatment, you have to be disciplined enough to arrange case studies and get it right.

I trained as a chef and baker originally, and every kitchen/bakery i worked at, i quickly realised that I was totally unprepared for the real world/industry and that was after 4 years full time education.

i often say to my students, treat this course as you did when you learn't to drive. you learn to drive to pass to the examiners standard, and it is not until you go out alone and actually drive that you learn to drive properly.

A few colleges that I attended, the lecturers told us that we would be inundated with business, we would make so much money and the phone would be literally ringing itself off the hook.

i tell students how hard it is, give them some realism, and I use myself as a model for it. I've been working albeit part time in this business for 15 years and I am still building up a client list.

I'm in college atm, I would never put anyone at risk, H&S !! client or fellow student, Some things aren't to my satisfaction I must admit, but thats a different story, I wish I could be a tutor, I think I'd make a good one, to high standards, but I need more experience myself first x

I am currently nearing the end of my level 2 at college. It is and evening course 3 hours per night two nights a week. The tutors have been great and very professional but the courses and curriculums being offered need attention. We spent approx 8 weeks doing facials which was great, then all of a sudden everything was a rush and we kept being told we were going to run out of time. if you missed one night of the course you completely missed a procedure but were told it was ok you could pick it up at the end. We did literally 1 hour doing eyebrow shaping and only learnt how to do one shape. then we spent 2 hours literally on tinting waxing perming manicures and pedicures then we were supposed to learn makeup to but because we've ran out of time, we are now doing members of the public without any experience. i know some of the procedures are straight forward and easy to pick up but some need alot of work on techniques etc before you should be allowed to work on members of the public. i know we all need models and gineau pigs but if some of the clients that are paying to have treatments knew how much time we had actually spent on these procedures they would be horrified. I qualify in approx 8 weeks and to be quite honest feel like i could do with another year not so rushed before i would be confident to do these procedures on people, i know this is not the tutors fault they have to do what is asked of them but the college needs to look at this before somebody gets hurt

I think we cant bad mouth all college education because in many areas it is excellent, There will always be good and bad I was lucky to go to a very good college when I did my nvq's and the education I received was of a very high standard.

I think we cant bad mouth all college education because in many areas it is excellent, There will always be good and bad I was lucky to go to a very good college when I did my nvq's and the education I received was of a very high standard.

I agree totally. I have been delighted and really impressed with the training I have been receiving - excellent! I personally couldn't have worked harder and feel everything has been covered as much as possible in an educational environment. I consider myself and everyone else in my class very lucky to have had the tutors we have.:):):)

I agree totally. I have been delighted and really impressed with the training I have been receiving - excellent! I personally couldn't have worked harder and feel everything has been covered as much as possible in an educational environment. I consider myself and everyone else in my class very lucky to have had the tutors we have.:):):)

Isn't it nice when we can write that we had first class education the trouble is that people only seem to write about their bad experiences and not when things are good.

Isn't it nice when we can write that we had first class education the trouble is that people only seem to write about their bad experiences and not when things are good.

I am quite quick to complain too when I am not happy with something. I have made a promise to myself that when this year is over - end of June (different tutors for next year), I will write to the principal to commend the college on the great training I received for Level 2. :)

Latest posts

Back