Is the Carlton Institute any good? I want extra training in acylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a spray tan course in the Carlton Windsor it was terrible! :eek:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeek ! im booked in at carlton for lash and brow tint course. saying that. i only need a basic training as its not exactly rocket science so im sure it will be fine. saying that though I waisted £200 on a one day wax course with herts and essex academy who didnt even have a qualified teacher to train us. she was just a beauty therapist. ( i asked her because i was doing a teacher training city and guilds myself at the time ) so i was not pleased when i knew she wasnt qualified to teach us. i felt my diploma ment nothing.

I did waxing as part of my nvq2 beauty therapy yesterday at the carlton institute in stockport.

I was very impressed and relieved that having paid what I did, I came out having learnt a lot.

I went in feeling worried about waxing (it is the part of the nvq I was most worried about) and left feeling confident enough to work on people in private. Our tutor made sure that we all got a good practice at legs, bikini and underarm.

The small class size ensured that we could get help as and when needed. I don't feel so far (touch wood coz of the price of the whole course) that I didn't get good value for money.

The only thing I would have liked more of is time spent discussing what needs to be done for the nvq portfolio but maybe such information will come later as there were non nvq people doing the waxing course as an isolated unit to be fair

I admit that the speed at which you need to take things in can feel like a lot but it is possible and they do provide hand outs to take home :)

Last edited:
You've made the right choice by going with CND. I've trained at college and did a refersher course at Carlton some years ago. I was amazed by the quality of CND training. It really is the best you'll find anywhere.

Good luck :)

I have done few courses in Glasgow and I would recomend it ONLY if you want to pay for the diploma... but not for knowledge.
My tutor was actually playing on the phone when we were doing nails... and she told me everything is ok and on a next day I went to my friend Ela (UK Champion 2010) and she said... 'They will lift' but yeah.. my teacher said they were fine so I have done a course with Astonishing Nails in Edinburgh and OMG what a difference with paying attention and with knowledge that has been trasformed to my brain :) Thanks Ela :D

I was thiniking of doing the Elite NVQ level 2 course in beauty therapy at Carlton Windsor as don't want to wait until June next year (if I studied at local college) before im qualified to work in a salon. Can anyone recommend a fast track course i can do which covers waxing, nails etc also I'd like to be qualified in massage to be a mobile beauty therapist. Thanks

The Carlton Institute at Windsor. - 10-10-11, 10:57 PM
A good review of the Carlton institute? Not from me I'm afraid. With a company that is supposedly well versed in dealing with people (they are a training company after all) I have never had such a terrible experience! I'm not new to courses and training and so thought that a day training in their Windsor branch would be a breeze. No! From the moment I arrived there the other students were very "cliquey" and made to feel completely isolated. I smiled at people and said "hello" only to be completely ignored. Fair enough, we can't all have people skills but where were the staff making me feel welcome? It is such a basic and fundamental thing to make a new student feel comfortable with their new environment but all I got was a wave in the direction of tea and coffee without so much as being asked my name or being told theirs.
Sensitive and naive I am not. Expectant of being treated decently after paying over £200 I certainly am!
It is not my style to needlessly denigrate entire institutions, but the facts of my experience in Windsor are that I was treated awfully. Is it really the case that I ask too much to be welcomed when I arrive and told briefly what to do to feel a part of things? Furthermore, in response to this nonsense, I left after about 20 minutes. Not that I expect people to run after me, but I didn't so much as receive a phone call to see if I was okay! Why? Because none of the staff even knew I was there.
If, like me, you are looking to be treated like human being I would not recommend the Carlton institute at Windsor. If you like to form cliques and making people feel alienated, Windsor is for you. Perhaps there are positions available....... As for the other institutions, I have no personal experience whatsoever - I'm sure they are perfectly lovely!
My advice to the Windsor branch? Not that you probably care but try and treat people as people and not the stacks of £20 they merely represent. Just pretend you care, it would go a long way!

Hi i did a manicure and pedicure course with them costing £250 could have learnt it off youtube lol, it was crap.

Has anyone done the Beauty Therapy Level 3 training there?

I have booked and paid to do with them this month and I just wanted to know if anyone has done this particular course at the Baker street centre and successfully completed it.

I just wanted to add that I am quite an independent learner and I pick things up very easily so i thought this would be the best option for me as once I am shown properly to do a treatment I can go off and practise and perfect it. As for the theory side, I can learn all of this from the books and info I am given etc.

Ive seen so many mixed reviews and opinions and its hard to judge from someone who has done a separate course or may have trained years ago where the Inst. could have completely changed.

Any advise on this particular course will be much appreciated...

I'm sure OPI do one near where you are based - Lena White Ltd x

Latest posts

Back