Is there actually any money to be made???............

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggie

Reaction score
So.....is there any money to be made in this world of Beauty/Nails and massage etc?
I'm starting to give up. I've been a beauty/massage therapist for 14 years!
You start off in a local salon to gain experience...min wage...but you think its ok i'm just getting my experience...so..you move onto health farms, great experience, treat famous people earn a little more and travel a bit.....then time to try something else...so I work in a salon/spa in hotels, the pay is a bit better, lots of tips, fantastic lifestyle but time to settle down, you meet the guy...you marry and decide its time to go self employed so you start off sensible and rent a room in a salon, you take 60% and give the salon 40% you think great i'm working for myself...all going great etc i'm fully booked every day taking £500 a week, £200 goes to the salon i keep £300 and after expenses, travel, products etc hey i'm back earing £200 for a full weeks work MIN WAGE again!!....So you think well if im paying that much out to rent space in a salon i'll take the plunge, do a business plan, get a loan and open my own business....so long story cut short 3 lovely years a great salon im very proud...booked up...lots of repeat clients beautiful salon but the overheads eat up all your money again, and once again you look at your takings and hey guess what i'm still only taking £200 a week for myself MIN WAGE!!!

I'm starting to think about working from home or my mums conservatory or something, no overheads, no rent to pay someone else etc etc what does everyone think??? Does anyone actually make some good money working for others or as a salon owner or rent a room etc?????????
Need some inspiration :Love::Love::Love::Love::Love:

Yes it is possible to make good money in this industry, but fully booked aint 500 quid a week is it?

hey you are lucky! I dont even take a wage yet.............. lol.

tigi

what treatments do you offer?? can you ot looka t what treatments you can do that are more cost effective? like semi perm lashes? tanning??
i'm not sure of the outgoings but they can bring the clients in and tanning is only a half hour job isn't it??
does that make sense??
i have some weeks when i feel like i am driving all over the place doing a tenner here and there then others (my lash clients) i love coz it's making me some actual money.....
x

The £500 was when I rented the room off someone but now we have a small salon of our own its different but its only two treatment rooms and with all the overheads theres just never much left over......im just wondering does anyone take a decent wage and how have you done it?????

Thats a big old question! By ensuring every aspect of your salon is profit bearing is the answer I suppose. Keeping track of the numbers and exploiting every possible income stream. Working long hours , working fast and efficient. Having a giant clientele.

I have a small salon where I work on my own & often take between £800 & £1,000 a week, so I've certainly found there's money to be made! I do it by constantly promoting different treatments to the same clients, trying to get them all on to more profitable treatments, i.e. getting that eyebrow shape client to become a facial client, and through retail.

Does anyone actually make some good money working for others or as a salon owner or rent a room etc?

I'm making on par in one day in my own salon than I am making as a chef for the four days I now work in the kitchen. And that's after overheads are taken into account.

Not that would tell anyone much at first glance because the cooking world is crap but my salary for cooking is presently, on GBP terms, about £33,000 a year pro rata.

So yeah, there is money to be made. But you've gotta be smart about it.

Location, appearance (personal and salon), pricing, treatment menu and clientele all make a huge difference on what you make...and what you don't.

If you are fully booked, work full-time and you're only taking £500 a week, then I would suggest you look at these aspects and see what needs to be improved upon.

I think there is deffo money to be made. It just takes time thou.
You say you have two beauty rooms, do you rent the other room out or employe someone? what about retail?
£500 a week isn't alot to make in one week, but it takes time.
It better pays to work for yourself. and if you do work from home you'll have the same problem to start with.

hey you are lucky! I dont even take a wage yet.............. lol.

tigi

Me too!
There is money to be made .... eventually.
There are loads of factors to take into account. One of which is to charge what you are worth!

I think there is money to be made, I mean Im only starting so I cant talk about my experiences. But a family member is a hairdresser, she worked in a well known salon and she was making average money, but the salon was definatly earning more from her. Making her go to contests, shows, awards etc for free! But she had enough of the treatment n started a office job part time and does hair every evening and is earning alot. She has a mortgage, car, and spends alot on herself and luxurys and is earning more than ever.

Sounds like the treatments you offer may be unprofitable? How much profit do you make from each?
For example, we offer threading, and it is the most profitable treatment in our salon..followed by tinting and waxing. Stock shouldnt eat into your profit that much. Your prices may be too small??

Latest posts

Back