is there different shades of blonde for different skin tone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixnewcastle

CND Education Ambassador Newcastle
Reaction score
Hi im a beauty therapist but i find everytime i get my hair done with highlights it never quite looks right against my skin.

I have quite pale skin and i'd say i have pinky undertones with green eyes

What colours would you suggest?

do you have any pics of yourself you could post?

pale skin and green eyes if i could get my hands on you.... :)

It might be that being so blonde (if you are quite blonde) doesn't suit you the best.

:) xxx

I dont mean if i could get my hands on you in a creepy way, just realised it looks a bit stalkerish!!!

Last edited:
haha knew what you meant. This is the best example of the hair colour i mean. I almost feel it's too yellowie for my skin tone

i find assesing skin tone really difficult but..

from the colour of your eyebrows etc i think you could do with being a bit cooler...i see what you mean about being yellowy...i would prob have your blonde a bit lighter with some kind of biscuity, minky colours thru it, you aren't naturally very dark are you? xx

no im naturally a dark blonde. probably more like the shade of my eyebrows. Thats what i thought a few cooler shades as i feel the colours are warm and clash with my skin a bit. Do you have any pic examples so i can take them into the hair dressers with me next?
What do you think of these colours on me?
Hayden%20Panettiere_1.jpg

those colours are really nice...thats what i imagined what your natural was (her roots nor her ends lol)

because you are quite blonde just now, it will maybe take a few times of highlights before you get the exact result you want but it will look so much better...I'm a bit of a boring hairdresser I seem to like the natural look more than big flash of blonde on black hair...lol.

I will search google images for a pic but if your hairdresser uses wella colours i like 7/17 for a darker piece thru it, it has coolness in it but a bit of...yumminess too. i can't describe it any better lol.

i like this...and this is what i mean by biscuity

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/lauren-conrad-354.jpg

but i think the photo you have is maybe better

that is my natural hair colour good guess :) thanks for the colour as well. Not sure which hair colours the salon uses :S
I always find places that use clynol really really dry my hair out. Is that normal and is clynol not very good?

I have never worked with Clynol...and never really heard anything good or bad about it. I have always used Wella, and used L'Oreal when I did my initial training. I liked both of them, but I would say that most of the well known brands (and I would say Clynol is a well known) are good quality and if you are experiencing dry hair it might be the process you are getting done (if you are getting a lot of bleach put in your hair) that is drying it out, or the stylist maybe is doing something to your hair in the treatment like putting too strong peroxide on it etc that will be damaging it. But if you have had your hair done at different Clynol salons then maybe it is just a negative reaction with your hair!

yes it possibly is, as i have found that it's clynol colours that do it but the colours were fab. I've heard aveda apparently doesn't damage your hair at all as it doesn't have chemicals in it. Is that true?

I dont know about that....gee it sounds like i don't know about much. I very much doubt that aveda has no chemicals in though...

i just looked at the website and it says between 97-99% naturally derived. Something to look into. I did hear once about a hairdresser who had cancer and she used Aveda after she got better cos she was convinced that it was hair colour which had made her ill...I am defo not saying that this is true but i think it is less chemically driven. Best to ask someone who knows more about Aveda though....xxx

thing is you can get cancer from just about anything these days though so i certainly wouldn't be sacraficing my hair colour just incase if that were the case i would also have to give up
* Drink
* Chocolate
* takeaways
soooo not going to happen at least i'd die happy :)

There is no proof to link cancer to very much, apart from sunbeds, smoking etc. All the ones that to people nowadays know about (although imagine in 50 years time what will be proven...)

So i wouldn't worry about your hair colour... :p

i agree about the biscuit tones , i think its just lifted up too much to all one colour , which isnt very flattering. if its any help a /4 is approximatly the clynol equivalent of wella /7 . colours are much of a muchness with brands , and alot of brands own two or three differant ranges that are made in the same factorys , for example clynol and schwarzkopf. However , i think that you do definately get more shine with l oreal or wella.
and remember both arsenic and cyanide are natural substances - natural doesnt always mean better.

Last edited:
thank you very much!!
It's so nice to get such professional help as sometimes when you go to the hairdressers i find they just do there own thing ("oh you want highlights ok bleach it is") they never seem to really assess your skin colour and undertones with the hair colour.

I only had the colour done on saturday so it's too soon to go and get it done again really. I will most definately be going buscuitty and minky tones with a light cool blonde :)

thank you very much!!
It's so nice to get such professional help as sometimes when you go to the hairdressers i find they just do there own thing ("oh you want highlights ok bleach it is") they never seem to really assess your skin colour and undertones with the hair colour.

I only had the colour done on saturday so it's too soon to go and get it done again really. I will most definately be going buscuitty and minky tones with a light cool blonde :)

Hi, someone call me ? :) lol x I too agree with biccy and minky tones in your hair , minky sounds nice lol ,
now minkys going to have some biccys and tea x :lol: x minky

I am glad you agree with me. I always worry that everyone who asks me for colur advice i always suggest the same colours and im not sure if its cos i honestly think its for the best or because i just love the colours!!! :) XXxxxx

I am glad you agree with me. I always worry that everyone who asks me for colur advice i always suggest the same colours and im not sure if its cos i honestly think its for the best or because i just love the colours!!! :) XXxxxx

Hi, I love nixinewcastles blonde hair I think nixi really suits it blonde but I agree about it being a tad yellow
but as you said I think if there were biscuit and minky tones added
maybe in some thin slices through the top or some low lights ..... it would take the edge off the bright blonde and soften up the whole look and make it look nice and classy

I usually find you don't need to tone at all if you have a few low lights put in instead ..... as it seems to make that bright blonde very classy and toned
Ps .... love that eyeshadow nixinewcastle , ?? :) whats it called ?
:hug: x minky

Thanks :) Im trying to remeber what it is now. I think it's an origins one but i really cant remeber the name of it as the compact broke so i only have the actual shadow left :(

Latest posts

Back