Itchy fingers!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil lisa

Reaction score
I have a client who I have been doing gel nails on for years. Recently a couple of her fingers, from the skin all around the nail down to her knuckle has been very itchy and peeling. It looks almost like hard cracked skin you would find on someones heel! The nails are fine there is no fungus or anything like that present and its only on 2 fingers and seems to start itching as soon as they are put under the lamp. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I have been using the same products since I started doing the nails, the bulbs are not new one and no one else is having this problem. Help!! :confused:

I have a client who I have been doing gel nails on for years. Recently a couple of her fingers, from the skin all around the nail down to her knuckle has been very itchy and peeling. It looks almost like hard cracked skin you would find on someones heel! The nails are fine there is no fungus or anything like that present and its only on 2 fingers and seems to start itching as soon as they are put under the lamp. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I have been using the same products since I started doing the nails, the bulbs are not new one and no one else is having this problem. Help!! :confused:

Sounds like the start of a classic case of sensitivity brought on by repeated contact with a chemical in one of the prodcuts you are using. This sensitivity is a BIG warning sign that an allergy can (and surely will) ensue if she continues to come into contact with the same chemical. This problem will not go away and will not get better once it starts.

I would seriously change whatever product you are using to a product that is free of the main chemicals in gels that cause the sensitivity ... formaldehyde, gluteraldehyde or acrylates. CND have Brisa gel which is hypoallergenic and I believe LCN also do a hypoallergenic gel. No other brand I know of does.

The only way to know which chemical your client is sensitive to is to ask the company who supplies your gel for a patch test and then let her go to her doctor to have the patches applied.

Yes this is what worries me that it could end up as a more serious reaction. I use IBD gel and they aren't hypo-allergenic. She won't get it checked out at the doctors and I know she certainly won't bother to be patch tested. I may just remove the nails and let the skin clear up before doing anything else. Will certainly look in to these other products though. Thanks x

I have had a similar problem myself, I started using bio gel a few years ago I had only used l & p before and never had a problem.
About 3 months after starting using bio I had itchy fingers looked like dry skin under my nail and it was sooo itchy it then spread down my fingers 2 fingers and a thumb I get it on it can become very sore!
Also this made me sensitive to all nail products over time. I found out that bio perfumed their gel remover/sanitiser/drying spray and I believe this started my reactions!
I am very cautious of chemicals now I use a barrier cream before I do nails, take antihistamine before work, and then use a steroid based cream as soon as any irritation starts. I frequently was my hands and tell my clients to do the same so no products are left on the skin.
Your client needs to see their gp and you can tell her the little things to help so she can continue having her nails done.

Latest posts

Back