It's funny how....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, CND Shellac is a gel polish. "Power polish" is just a marketing term, a very effective one, and has no real scientific meaning. The MSDS for Shellac clearly state that it is a gel lacquer and it contain oligomers which are the basis for all gel polishes. That is not said to diminish Shellac in any way, simply to make clear that it does belong in the same category as all other gel polishes.

Sorry meant to not a gel... Polish has been added by my iPad lol and meant that its different to some gel in similar packaging..

Which is why we call it a power polish and not a gel and that's what we are taught to say at training, because it is slightly different.

I use Mani-Q and am super happy with it, I wouldn't re train and invest in a different product just because someone who has no idea that Shellac is not the name for all gel polishes asks for it. Sorry but I am the professional not them, I have chosen to use the products I use for a reason, whats the point in doing all the training if I am then going to just let Jo Public tell me what products to use. I love the product I am using so much, I have had Shellac customers come to me to change to Mani-Q because they have seen it all over my fb page and they say it lasts longer than the Shellac and always come back to me.

With regard to the marketing, this does not determine how good a product is, Look at Tesco!! Very well known because of their advertising but I can guarantee the meat I get from my organic supplier who doesn't advertise is better. Just sayin xxx

Shellac is very different to coloured gel polish and anyone at all who has used both, unless they are a complete fool or not a nail technician, can see and feel the differences immediately... and one thing that really shows the difference is the nails themselves. :D

As I have said before (although some seem to love to ride this horse to death at every opportunity) Shellac is not a gel and has a uniquely different formulation gel polishes are gel. Shellac does use some gel technology in part, to cure the Shellac Polish but in fact Shellac is in a unique category all of its own ... For safety data information (MSDS) it has been included in the gel polish category because for safe handling purposes the information is the same for both.

Shellac has many unique and positive selling points for clients and that is why discerning clients love it and become very loyal to it. Those who try to say that Shellac doesn't last as long as gel, is not as strong as gel, is not as shiny as gel and bla bla bla are deluding themselves for some reason. Those of us who love and use Shellac are not complaining .. only the ones who use other brands see fit to complain about Shellac. :biggrin:

Clients have exactly the same problems with gel polish as we find some do with Shellac. You only have to read the boards to see it. Gel isn't perfect for everyone and Shellac isn't perfect for everyone. They both accomplish the same result with different technologies. What is the noticeable difference is, is in the state of the natural nails when the Shellac system is used with all the CND protocols. Beautiful.

Everyone can be happy in their own little world without telling lies, without bad mouthing other brands, without misleading others with false information etc. Hakuna Matata everyone.

Shellac is a lovely product but it is no more unique or in a category of its own. It is a gel polish, an excellent one. It is a gel polish, better or worse in different ways than other gel polishes. Every attribute that Shellac has can be claimed by other products. Some gel polishes are hybrid using different admixtures, as is Shellac, LE and others and some are 100% gel but they are all gel polishes. It's wonderful that you love your chosen product but there are equally excellent products out there and misleading and dissing people about the nature of the product is not necessary.

What does distinguish Shellac is the marketing - "Power Polish". CND has done a great job getting its product out there faster and more pervasively than any other brand (at least for now). As a result, "Shellac" has become as generic as Kleenex, Xerox or Hoover. So when a client comes in asking for "Shellac" it isn't always clear exactly what she is asking for. When I went, I wanted CND Shellac and no alternative or explanation was going to do. But that's not true of all people at all times. We try to be very attentive to bait-and-switch and make sure to give the customer what she asked for. When our clients come into our salons that offer Shellac asking for Shellac, that's what we give them - although it's surprising how many times they look at the colors of another brand and change their minds. In the salons that don't offer Shellac, we explain what we have and most of the time they pick one of them. Shellac is the standard bearer for all gel polishes, but we try to explain what we have without reference to Shellac, which does get difficult.

Shellac is very different to coloured gel polish and anyone at all who has used both, unless they are a complete fool or not a nail technician, can see and feel the differences immediately... and one thing that really shows the difference is the nails themselves. :D

As I have said before (although some seem to love to ride this horse to death at every opportunity) Shellac is not a gel and has a uniquely different formulation gel polishes are gel. Shellac does use some gel technology in part, to cure the Shellac Polish but in fact Shellac is in a unique category all of its own ... For safety data information (MSDS) it has been included in the gel polish category because for safe handling purposes the information is the same for both.

Shellac has many unique and positive selling points for clients and that is why discerning clients love it and become very loyal to it. Those who try to say that Shellac doesn't last as long as gel, is not as strong as gel, is not as shiny as gel and bla bla bla are deluding themselves for some reason. Those of us who love and use Shellac are not complaining .. only the ones who use other brands see fit to complain about Shellac. :biggrin:

Clients have exactly the same problems with gel polish as we find some do with Shellac. You only have to read the boards to see it. Gel isn't perfect for everyone and Shellac isn't perfect for everyone. They both accomplish the same result with different technologies. What is the noticeable difference is, is in the state of the natural nails when the Shellac system is used with all the CND protocols. Beautiful.

Everyone can be happy in their own little world without telling lies, without bad mouthing other brands, without misleading others with false information etc. Hakuna Matata everyone.

Once again Geeg you've explained it to a T! Just wish people would listen to these facts rather than keep arguing with you when the science is staring them in the face!

I second that! The majority of people that have a problem with shellac being a power polish and not a gel polish are the ones who don't use it.

Most people that come to me and ask me for shellac, know that they want shellac and not any gel polish as they know about the high quality, no nail damage , the unbeatable shine and durability.

In the future I'd like to offer Shellac alongside Gelish as I think, why not?
It could bring in those ladies that are devoted to Shellac as well as having my usual Gelish clients.

I think there is room for both, some will love Gelish for the choice in colour some will love Shellac for......(dunno yet as I've never used it!, but you catch my drift.)

You'll always get the ones who don't care about the brand, just as long as it looks nice and lasts longer than a couple of weeks.

LOL look at me talking about "My clients" I've only just passed my course haven't got any bloody clients yet!
(apart from 2 work colleagues in a week :o)

Just give them what they ask for ....... not an alternative
shellac04.jpg

feel free to right click and save the image to use :)

Last edited:
From experience, most don't know the difference between the brand and the product!! I just give them a quick explanation of the similarities and differences (and show them my own nails ;) ) and they're happy to take a seat! (I'm a loyal Bio Sculpture therapist). Saying that - I do think Shellac is a great product! :Love:

In my opinion clients ask for "Shellac" because they think its a service, not a brand. They don't care if it's actually Shellac or not, they just want their nails painted with something that lasts longer than normal nail polish. They don't ask for Shellac because they know about the product, it's just the only name they know.

In my opinion clients ask for "Shellac" because they think its a service, not a brand. They don't care if it's actually Shellac or not, they just want their nails painted with something that lasts longer than normal nail polish. They don't ask for Shellac because they know about the product, it's just the only name they know.

I too at one Point thought it was a service rather than a brand.
Although in some ways it is a service seen as it does stand alone in terms of nail condition after use. a lot of my friends still believe it to be a service, but by the same token, a lot of people ask for shellac because they trust the brand,they know the brand, they have seen or experienced the results and they worked for them. Never underestimate the power of marketing!

And I agree, cnd have worked incredibly hard, invested money (to make incredible amounts also) and advertised to an unprecedented degree to drive consumers back into salon. With so many cheap nail polishes available, easy access to basic prep stages, the double dip recession, inflation, food prices/gas prices/cost of overall living rising with the minimum pay not reflecting or mirroring this inflation, it wouldn't be a shock to see people make a choice to do it them selves.....however they can along and offered a professional product, hard wearing, I think it has helped drive people from all walks of life back in salon.

I think if people are specifying they want that product, it's important as a provider to take this on-board, and maybe consider offering it?
This is an every growing industry, always developing new ideas, creating new trends, New technologies, techniques, and its important that we as nail tecs grow and develop with that industry. Brands are important to us as people, we do look for them and if we can afford them we want to be seen with them, that's the age we are in, celebrities encourage brand buying, media encourages brand power, we recognise, and seek out big brands, and ultimately strive to have those brands, and I do believe that if a customer is specifically wanting a brand they will seek it out at some point whether you provide that for them, or someone else does.

I think this whole thread has given me some real thinking to do, I'm just starting out on my training, and obviously it's clear people want the big brands regardless, and right now shellac is probably one of the most recognisable and well marketed out there!

X ,

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back