I've tried OPI Gelcolor. My review so far.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franjess

Reaction score
I tried Opi Gelcolor. I got the kit of six colors with base and top coat (called the total package). Comes with dvd, instructions, window cling etc. Base coat goes on like when your polish is starting to dry and your still tring to apply it draggy, bumpy and rough if your not quick. Didn't like the base so far because of that.

Gelcolor colors went on runny and pulls away from tips leaving tips uncaped no matter how many times I recaped it. I don't like that.

Top coat causes some more color from free edge to pull away. Don't like that. I do like that it is more resistant to acetone while I'm doing nails. But it takes 15 min or more to get off unless filing top coat first.

Gelcolor has a slight odor. Gelcolor doesn't say anywhere (on the kit I have) that it's 3 free eather. I don't like that.

I'm not giving up on Gelcolor yet, clients like OPI colors. I used Shellac UV Lamp so maybe the Led well work better. I did buy Gelish little Led lamp and have tried that on myself, it still pulls away some mostly after putting top coat on.

Led probably works better with it but instructions say you can use UV lamp too.

I will be posting when I can about how it holds. I'm very busy working every day doing Shellac, Gelish, Geleration and now Gelcolor. Shellac has my vote so far for hold. Full review on all gel/polishes I've used on my webset www.franceesnails4shellac.com

I have never experienced color pulling away from the free edge with gelcolor and have been using it since around the end of November.

The base coat has a glue like odor to it, but I haven't noticed a smell with any of the colors or the top coat.

It is thinner than Shellac which I like bc it doesnt affect the intensity of the color. I find Gelcolor actually easier to apply than Shellac (which I LOVE Shellac and use it 6-8 times a day)

As far as it being three free... OPI does not advertise it as such. But not sure if that means it is not.

I do find there is some color transferring on the top coat brush during application, but it does not change the color of the top coat or affect any other application. I also usually clean the brush before closing the bottle.

I personally love Gelcolor and use it alongside Shellac. My clients love it, it lasts very well (some clients have commented better) and the color range is phenomenal.

I respect your experience in the industry, but I feel the more you use Gelcolor the more you will enjoy it. :) I also find it releases from the nail plate a lot easier as well.

Thanks Unique Tips, I hope it gets better. I have tried Gelcolor three times on myself and once on a client and it pulled each time. I will keep working with Gelcolor to make it work better as I did with Gelish and its pulling away or shrinking, it could have been to warm or to cold.

I'm really wanting Gelcolor to be my second go to gel/polish or vice a versa with Shellac. The top coat really soaks up the color in its brush, I have to wipe off each time before reintering the bottle. Thats a waste and time consuming. Gelish soaks up color with their top coat too but not as bad as Gelcolor. :biggrin:

Do you, or did you use Axxium Soak Off Colour before/as well as GelColour? I currently use Axxium, have about 50 colours, clients love it and I love it so I'm not really looking to change over to GelColour...... As far as I'm concerned Axxium goes on thin and polish-like, lasts 2 - 3 weeks, keeps the most amazing shine and soaks off easily - what does GelColour offer different to Axxium?

Perhaps its one of the systems that has its little ways (like all really) and you need to have the training.

I dont believe a company like OPI would bring out some rubbish product.I believe they probably test and re test till they get it about right.

Last edited:
Vetty I use axxium soak of gels as well and love them. I think gelcolour is morre polish like as its a lot thinner. I think from reading a promotional leaflet that gelcolour is easier to remove as you don't need to break the seal like you do with axxium. Also they mention that axxium sog is better for clients with problem nails.

Do you, or did you use Axxium Soak Off Colour before/as well as GelColour? I currently use Axxium, have about 50 colours, clients love it and I love it so I'm not really looking to change over to GelColour...... As far as I'm concerned Axxium goes on thin and polish-like, lasts 2 - 3 weeks, keeps the most amazing shine and soaks off easily - what does GelColour offer different to Axxium?

I have never used Axxium, to many new clients came in and said it damage their nails and the soak off time turned me away.

Perhaps its one of the systems that has its little ways (like all really) and you need to have the training.

I dont believe a company like OPI would bring out some rubbish product.I believe they probably test and re test till they get it about right.

True maybe there is more trouble shooting Ideals I can get from class. But from doing so many gel products in past I know most of them. Still every product has its down falls, that doesn't make it rubbish by no means. Shellac polish has some down falls I had to learn how to work out. :biggrin:

OH no I was so looking forward to opi gelcolour. I dont find shellac easy to apply and hate the way it goes thick.

Do you have to shake the gelcolour as you do shellac??

This is making me rethink if I will do the training or not:Scared:

OH no I was so looking forward to opi gelcolour. I dont find shellac easy to apply and hate the way it goes thick.

Do you have to shake the gelcolour as you do shellac??

This is making me rethink if I will do the training or not:Scared:

Yes you have to shake Gelcolor also. Gelcolor is runny when first opened, I do hope it thickens up a little maybe it will cap better. I haven't had gelcolor for long so don't know if it will.

Unique Tips has been doing it longer then I so it may be better to judge if you want to try Gelcolor by her experiance and a class is always a good idea. Some clients do better with one product then others. So its good to have more then one line of gel/polish.

I thought Axxium gel polish was the best stuff ever when i started using it about 8 months ago, I do agree its a struggle to remove and left a few clients fingernails looking not so perfect but it didn't ruin them, if anything made the client look after their flexible gel polished fingernails more than their old acrylics I used to apply.

I have changed to Orly Gel FX, just because that's who I have loved for sooo many years and trained with originally, plus I have gone back mobile instead of salon, so it's cheaper and easier to carry around. I have to say, Orly Gel FX has stole my heart. Sooooo fast to apply, double quick to remove and has made my nails feel and look stronger after removal!!

I wish i could try all this Shellac, Gelish, etc, but I cannot afford to keep going on courses and buy new kits, if there are any open days/freebie sessions please let me know :) I am always willing to learn.

Latest posts

Back