Jane Iredale makeup looking gray

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slhallford

Reaction score
I popped into my local salon today had my hair done and was super pleased. While I was there I had the chance to be colormatched with the JI pressed foundation and had it applied so I could see now it wore on me.

In the salon, suntan looked like a perfect match between it and warm silk (ws looked too orange). But several hours later, at home and outside I noticed it had really taken on a grey cast and looked very oily/shiny. My husband actually commented on it.

I usually wear Bare Escentuals in summer bisque and warm beige and that wears really well during the day. I was wondering if maybe my skin type isn't well suited to the JI since I am prone to oily/shinyness and acne even still in my 30s. The feel of the JI was much more creamy on my skin by comparison to the BE which feels much more matte/dry over the course of the day.

S

was the Ji a cream or powder foundation?
the powder is for oily skins.
carriex

Applying the Absence primer will help with oilyness, but it sounds like you need to be colourmatches again in daylight:hug:

Do you know if you have a warm or cool skin tone? I am a colour analyst teacher, and have found the majority of foundation problems are of this nature.

If you have a cool tone, you need cool, pink-based foundations, warm skin needs warm foundations. A warm base on a cool skin would look bland, tiring and ageing the skin, whilst a cool base on a warm skin would 'sit' and look harsh, un-natural. It sounds like that may have happened to you.

It may be hard for you to find out from a make-up consultant, unfortunately not many of them are colour analysis trained (the amount of times I have seen people in my local suppliers being sold the wrong foundations is unreal), but you could get your colours analysed so you would know when shopping for yourself what tones you require. It will save you a fortune as you will know exactly what colours will suit you personally.

For any of you nail technicians out there, there is a colour tutorial that backs these theories up. The tutorials may seem complicated, but they fit into the colour analysis theories very well. Knowing this stuff will make you better make-up artists, technicans and hairdressers. You can also use these theories for high fashion looks - making colours clash for photo shoots, fashion shows etc, this knowledge will give you an edge that others will not have as it is not taught in the industry as a norm.

Thanks for the advice!

It was for the pressed powder foundation.

I think it must have been the wrong color since all my BE colors are warm and the MAC samples I've tried have also been warm--NW20 concealer was a slam dunk and looked as fantastic when I got home as it did in the store. The JI suntan color name didn't give me a good indication of warmth or coolness so I didn't really give it a thought until I got home.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I tan very quickly and my hair is dark brown with gold/red highlights and I have hazel eyes. When I flip over my hand, the veins in my wrist look green rather than blue.

If you have any book recommendations on color theory, I'd love to hear them.

S

Im confused :)

In your first post you said you tried Warm Silk (Which is the lightest shade from the Warm range) then in your last post you said it was Suntan (From the Neutral range)

My advice would be to go back to the salon and ask for another match, it sounds like to much powder was applied but without seeing for myself its hard to tell lol.

Sorry for the confusion. She applied a tny bit of the warm silk to compare to the suntan along my jaw bone. Then she advised me that the suntan was a better color and applied that all over my face and I wore it for the day.

S

For any of you nail technicians out there, there is a colour tutorial that backs these theories up. The tutorials may seem complicated, but they fit into the colour analysis theories very well. Knowing this stuff will make you better make-up artists, technicans and hairdressers. You can also use these theories for high fashion looks - making colours clash for photo shoots, fashion shows etc, this knowledge will give you an edge that others will not have as it is not taught in the industry as a norm.

Please don't patronise us Nail Technicians - I know there is theory to colour matches. I may not have studied Beauty Therapy but I am aware of warm/cool/neutral tones to skin...... I even blend an opaque pink to extend a nail bed and *gasp* it even looks natural......

I know I'm being sarcastic, and I appreciate that you probably have good intentions, but speaking totally personally I recognise when I'm being patronised and I don't like it. Fyi, Custom Blending is taught by the company I choose to train with and fundamental to that is looking at the skin tone of the client.

Sorry for the confusion. She applied a tny bit of the warm silk to compare to the suntan along my jaw bone. Then she advised me that the suntan was a better color and applied that all over my face and I wore it for the day.

S

OK :)

I have recently done my JI training and to colour match we started by appling Amber & Natural to the jawline to decide if cool/warm and then go from there.

It sounds like you've had an incorrect colour match so I would definetly go back and ask to try again.

Latest posts

Back