Job Title

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessicles

Reaction score
Quick question, what is your preferred job title? Nail technician, manicurist, etc? I have been in the business over 9 years and am getting new business cards printed and I'm not sure what to go with. I am leaning heavily toward the understated "manicurist", although I do have a full cosmetology license and do occasional waxing and formal upstyles. My boss thinks I should include something like "master" in the title, but I'm not sure I like that, it sounds cocky to me and I'm always trying to improve!

P.S. I live in the US, so I'm not sure if education standards in different countries would effect a job title. Thanks!

I call myself a Beauty Therapist, I do all kinds of nails, waxing, facials, massage etc. Lots of people call me a Beautician, which I hate and always correct! I was told at college that a Beautician was a non qualified make up person you see in stores, usually at a consession selling make up and I want clients to know that I've spent a lot of time & effort getting where I am today.

I think that if you're proud of what you do then you should shout about it in anyway possible, not big headedily tho. How will clients know that you've spent years learning your trade if you dont promote yourself, be proud :)

Karaxxx

I call myself a nail technician now, although i did start calling myself a manicurist but now that i have training in manicures and gel nail enhancements i thought i would change my title so it could cover more qualifications.

Personally i really don't think you should sell yourself to people as a manicurist or nail technician when you are trained in other things, beauty would cover a larger range of qualifications maybe Beauty therapist, or Beauty technician, just an idea, as although i don't know u i wouldn't want u to undersell your sell by using a name that doesn't cover your talents.
:hug:
xx

Nail Stylist?

I call myself a Nail Technician and every time someone asks what I do for a living, I can see a blank expression on their faces when I tell them and a lot of people will say "a male technician, what's that?"... it drives me mad!! :):irked:

I am a" shellackist" if ever there was one LOL
I think if you are qualified in may aspects of nails and beauty i would go with beauty therapist,or an esthetician ,because after all you are treating the body esthetically:)

Nail Stylist?
nail stylist (well, its translation) is the official word for the (uocoming) newly recognized profession in Switzerland :)

Beauty Therapist.
I do lots of different things so I think that sums it all up nicely :)

Hi Jess, while in a CND class I asked the educator the same question you are asking. She suggested Nail Professional and I went with that. HTH! :)

I think 'Nail Technician' sounds best, but if you do other things as well I would probably put 'Beauty Therapist & Nail Technician' because theres a lot that a nail tech does that a beauty therapist alone does not. I'm going to get some business cards made up myself soon and I think I'm going to do that!

Hths :) xx

My business is 99% nails, but it's true, I don't want to discount my other abilities. I think I'm going to combine a few suggestions here and go with "Nail and Beauty Professional". Thanks everyone for all your help!!

My business is 99% nails, but it's true, I don't want to discount my other abilities. I think I'm going to combine a few suggestions here and go with "Nail and Beauty Professional". Thanks everyone for all your help!!

Perfect! :)

I call myself a nail technicain but does anyone find when you say that you get the person saying nail technician? Like your trying to make it sound more fancy by using the word technician. I have, most of those reactions have been from males thou lol I respond by saying what would you call it? And there usually stumped. Lol x

Nail Stylist?

That's what it reads on my business cards:
Nail Stylist / Styliste Ongulaire (in french)

I don't do just manicures. I don't stick to basics.
I offer different enhancement services and styles; and try to customize them as per the client's own styles and preferences.
I give my clients consults
If they have a special occasion, I encourage them to show me their intended outfit so that I can coordinate their nails accordingly in colour and style.

I'd like to think it separates me from the girl on the corner who ONLY does french tip-n-dip and that's IT. YES, that's all she does all day long.
Nothing wrong with that if she's good at it and likes it, but I like to think I offer more and so, don't want to share the same title, as snobby as that sounds:o

I decided to go with Beauty Technician (I think I thought that up my self lol or unsubconciously picked it up lol) I chose it as I am not a full therapist I offer nails, waxing and tanning so nor was I just a nail tech or spray tan tech :) xx

Latest posts

Back