Johnson's Baby Shampoo as a colour remover?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry only just saw this. I ordered them from ebay.
Im off to research how you can reform the bonds after breaking them down with the baby shampoo....unless Persianista can enlighten us.
God Im a science geek. Love it.
xx

sorry only just saw this. I ordered them from ebay.
Im off to research how you can reform the bonds after breaking them down with the baby shampoo....unless Persianista can enlighten us.
God Im a science geek. Love it.
xx

Try Perm neutraliser or peroxide and water, don't ask me why tho lol!

I feel a makeshift science lab/salon day coming on......

But what lets the shampoo perm?
A bloody good rinse and left with the rods in for a few days will let the hair naturally neutralise xoxo

You could air neutralise, or you can use neutraliser.

Although baby shampoo doesnt contain ammonium thioglycolate, it resembles the original perms which relied more on strong alkali to break bonds.

Think we should combine this thread one the "hairdressing for thicko's" thread...kind of proves our point really :D xx

Well I never knew they used to work like that, I'm glad they have come along a lot since.
Xoxo

A serious science lesson went on there! It's good to challenge our brains. And who ever said hairdressers were "dumb bimbos" have a great wknd guys xx

Oh my god! I wondered why my colour was fading so quickly! I have a sensitive scalp so assumed BABY shampoo would be gentle! Also explains why my son still has cradle cap at nearly 3! Binning it now!

In regards to the original post; I actually found an organic brand that doesn't seem bad for the hair. It stripped out my colour like crazy. It's called biologika coconut shampoo.
I'm regards to everything else. Thanks guys. Was a good read.

Do any shampoos actually state their ph levels on the bottle? I knew a little bit about this Johnson's thing but now tempted to look into it more.
Just don't think I've ever come across shampoos that state their ph levels.
I just went by what I thought. Clarifying shampoos are obviously more alkaline so should be used every now and then and shampoos that state they are hydrating and moisturising are more acidic.
The biggest no brainer to always go from a salon.
Whether ive been thinking right or not im not 100%
Just wondering if anyone knows of any brands that do state their ph x

Interesting thought but I don't think they do.

I'm guessing that if you had a shampoo that stated it was acidic, most consumers would panic and think 'I don't want acid on my hair!'

I still squirm when people talk about using vinegar as a rinse because I can't help but associate it with Malt Vinegar, something I squirt on fried chips. :eek:

Im not a hair geek but i use the joico products on my hair and they state the ph on each product on the bottle.

There are very few alkaline shampoos, by far most are acidic about pH 5, conditioners tend to be slightly more acidic, closer to 4. When you wash hair in a certain pH, it does not change the actual pH of the hair to the pH of the shampoo, it only changes by a fraction. The pH in fact does not affect the hair generally between 4-9 (perhaps slightly less for more sensitized hair) - its not a case of the cuticle swelling as the alkalinity rises until you get to the level of hair colorants and perms.

Edit: but the cuticle always swells somewhat when the hair is wet- the middle layer of cuticles (epicuticle) is more absorbent and swells the outer layers (exocuticle). Probably spelled those all wrong.

Last edited:
You know 6-8 is neutral right?

That's not true.

6 is slightly acid
7 is neutral
8 is slightly alkaline

I don't think Dawn will be back to read this in any case. :cool:

That's not true.

6 is slightly acid
7 is neutral
8 is slightly alkaline

I don't think Dawn will be back to read this in any case. :cool:

As the pH Level of 5.5 is neutral for skin and hair
6 is slightly alkaline to the hair
Water ph 7 is more alkaline to skin and hair-->swelling cuticles

So pure water is swelling and that is why too much contact with water will cause dryness and can even cause eczema!

Latest posts

Back