Junior stylists- Blow drying only

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aona22

Reaction score
Hi Geeks
I am new round here and wanted to introduce myself and ask a question.
I am in the process of setting up my blow dry bar in london and wanted to ask what is the average rates of pay for junior stylists that have blow dry experience. Essentially my bar will only perform wash and blow dry into styles with no cutting (for now).

What are the rates, I should offer employees? Which would be best for me; hourly, daily, commission etc?
I know I don't want the price to be more than £20 for the blow dry.

Any help re setting up shop would be appreciated too. I am looking to launch in September.

Xx

Hi!
Ive often thought that blow dry only businesses must be of a massive advantage to some clients.Where i live(deep in the south lol!)the idea hasnt caught on yet,but in bigger cities i think its a fab idea.I always try and look at things from a clients point of view,and id definatly use this type of service as some clients see hair as a treat and others as a chore so if it can be done,i.e blow dryed in a lunch break with no fuss,it sounds perfect!
Sorry gone off topic a bit then lol.anyway,it really depends on what your rent for your salons going to be,stock etc.
Ive always been under the impression,and this is how my boss works,but as a stylist whatever you take on the shop floor ideally would be 4 x your wage,to cover stock(25%),vat/tax/rent(25%),wages(25%) and finally profit(25%) for the owner.
Not sure if this is how other geeks would work it out but it seems to work well for me and the other girls i work with.
If your going to charge £30 for a junior to blow dry,maybe their commision would be £7.50 per client.If it takes them 1 hr to do a blow dry,on a booked day they could be earning a v good rate and so could you,or alternativley how about say a basic wage,then 5% on top at the end of the week on what theyve taken on shop floor.This is always a good one as it keeps the motivation going among the staff and therefore more chance of them taking more for you aswell.
Hth and good luck with your venture!:lol::Grope:

Latest posts

Back