Just qualified in acrylics - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelnailz

Reaction score
Hi there

Been lurking for a while and have found the tutorials really helpful :) My names Karen (34) and as the title suggests I have just qualified with NSI`s acrylic course. The reason I trained in this area is because this seems to be the most popular (for the time being!) of enhancement in my local area. I would have preferred to attend college as I feel I had to learn alot myself (ie nail anatomy - more about contraindications - more about aftercare etc etc) but with three kids, a part time job and limited budget I figured I could use this as a starting point and educate myself further once established in acrylics. Shockingly I don't drive (I am taking lessons)so although going mobile is the way I`d like to go it`s just not practical at the mo. I have converted a room at home which looks stunning and I feel I have created the right balance between possessional - clean and whilst having the right ambiance to relax clients. so all I need now are some clients lol! I do have mates and family who have been my Guinea pigs throughout training but have not taken any money up till now - I have a mates Anne Summers party Sat so i have made up cards and hope to start advertising. I guess i just wanted to know what you guys think about how i am going about things so far??? I am unsure of pricing also - our local salon charge around 30 - 40 for a full set and extra for nail art and I was thinking around £20 while still working from home but I don't know some mobile techs charge £30 but they prob have more experiance...

thanks so much if you managed to get this far lol - sorry for the novel - just want to get things 'right'!!

Any advice or help would be much appreciated

Karen x

P.s dumb queston but how to you add a pic to posts?? i have uploaded a pic to an album but thats as far as I got!!!!

Last edited:
well good for you!!! firstly, as a newbie tech i would stay in the 20 - 25 area (not forever) and make it common knowledge that your prices WILL be going up in say, 3 - 6 months, just so not to lure people in with great prices and then wack them up with no prior warning and frighten them away. Put some piccies up of your room and get some feedback from the geeks xxxxx

LoL as you can tell i read your query about pics after ha ha x

like you iv not been doing it long and i charge £20 for a full set but if you have some of your nail art on display it will probably catch there eye and you can make your bit on top with that. I do tell my clients on the leaflet and again when they book that im new and this is why the price is low but when chating as I do the nails I tell them in time it will go up. (dont know if this is the right way to do it?)

your friends party is a good place to get the word out. If you both have your nail looking good and maybe some nail art on show this may get some atention.

dont know if that helps at all X mogwy X

thb, telling them during their nail treatment is good as its informal and wont make them feel uncomfortable about it id say (people do not like discussing money matter for some unknown reason :)

xx

Congrats on passing your course:hug:
I would say if the normal price for your area is £30 to £40 then £25 is low enough, otherwise you will find that what you will get is the customer who only comes to you because you are cheep and is gone the moment your prices go up. But £25 is a nice incentive price for a new business.
Only thing I would add is, have you sorted out your insurance and notified the tax man. Both are very important. insurance for obvious reasons and the tax man because 1 you don't want someone to make you look like you're tax evading and 2 because you want to include all your start up costs, including your training in your first years tax return, that way you shouldn't end up paying much tax if any in your first year.
Good luck hun :hug:

Hi there

Been lurking for a while and have found the tutorials really helpful :) My names Karen (34) and as the title suggests I have just qualified with NSI`s acrylic course. The reason I trained in this area is because this seems to be the most popular (for the time being!) of enhancement in my local area. I would have preferred to attend college as I feel I had to learn alot myself (ie nail anatomy - more about contraindications - more about aftercare etc etc) but with three kids, a part time job and limited budget I figured I could use this as a starting point and educate myself further once established in acrylics. Shockingly I don't drive (I am taking lessons)so although going mobile is the way I`d like to go it`s just not practical at the mo. I have converted a room at home which looks stunning and I feel I have created the right balance between possessional - clean and whilst having the right ambiance to relax clients. so all I need now are some clients lol! I do have mates and family who have been my Guinea pigs throughout training but have not taken any money up till now - I have a mates Anne Summers party Sat so i have made up cards and hope to start advertising. I guess i just wanted to know what you guys think about how i am going about things so far??? I am unsure of pricing also - our local salon charge around 30 - 40 for a full set and extra for nail art and I was thinking around £20 while still working from home but I don't know some mobile techs charge £30 but they prob have more experiance...

thanks so much if you managed to get this far lol - sorry for the novel - just want to get things 'right'!!

Any advice or help would be much appreciated

Karen x

P.s dumb queston but how to you add a pic to posts?? i have uploaded a pic to an album but thats as far as I got!!!!

hi, i am also researching 2 start my mobile business. I qualified last yr. I was advice on this site,as ur starting out, and depending on how fast u r,maybe go 4 a lower price 2 build up clientele,then increase as u go along. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi girls - thanks for your replies - some really useful advice there! My mate is a trained accountant so no worries on the tax side and my insurance is all but sorted so as I say just need some client now lol!!! Gonna try and post some pics of my work...

karen x

I believe it is very important that your clients know RIGHT FROM THE START how much your normal price is going to be!

That way they will understand what a good deal they are getting and also exactly how much they will be paying when your offer ends. Of course, you can call it an Opening Offer but you don't have to say WHEN it will end :wink2: You can decide to go with your ideal price when you are ready:)

So, advertise and market your services as normally £xx but Special Opening Offer £xx (no time frame).

HTH

I believe it is very important that your clients know RIGHT FROM THE START how much your normal price is going to be!

That way they will understand what a good deal they are getting and also exactly how much they will be paying when your offer ends. Of course, you can call it an Opening Offer but you don't have to say WHEN it will end :wink2: You can decide to go with your ideal price when you are ready:)

So, advertise and market your services as normally £xx but Special Opening Offer £xx (no time frame).

HTH

Hi thats a great idea thanks! I am thinking £20 moving onto £25 but the opening offer is good and as you you say if you have an end date it wont be confusing for clients xxx

Latest posts

Back