Just sharing details of my new beauty reference books!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
Well this started off in the journals, but as quite a few people wanted to know about the books I got from Amazon today I thought I'd put it in the Skin Geek Forum.

Firstly I got 2 books about eyebrow shaping ...
How to Create the Perfect eyebrow by Victoria Bush ISBN 1-4018-3335-7
This has loads of theory and exercises about how to create the right shape for the right face and was about £15

Beautiful Brows by Nancy Parker ISBN 0-609-80670-X
A nifty little book that doesnt go into quite so much detail as the above, but damned good value at £4!

Makeup Makeovers: Weddings by Robert Jones ISBN-13: 978-1-59233-231-1 AND ISBN-10: 1-59233-231-5 (it has 2 numbers on the back for some reason)
This book is full colour with the basics of theory and then loads of pics of different examples and the colours to use. Great for those who want yo brush up on their wedding makeup techniques A lovely book £13

The Beauty Bible 2nd Edition by Paula Begoun ISBN 1-877988-29-4
If you only get one book then this is it. It's just jam packed with 500 pages of info and written in a way that is easy to read. As it says on the cover ... from acne to wrinkles and everything in between. £9 OMG it's mega value!

A consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients by Ruth Winter ISBN 1-4000-5233-5 £8
Just a handy reference guide and does what it says in the title!

Vogue Make-up by Juliet Cohen ISBN 1-84442-576-2 £10
Another great point of reference in full colour with loads of tips and info.

I am such a junkie for great information and these books are just brill. Best £60 I've spent in ages! Let me know if you want any more info about them.

Thanks Sass, I'm off to get these books they sound spot on. Thanks for sharing the info:hug:

Thanks, I like the sound of the Beauty Bible and the brow ones...

Well I think the Beauty Bible you can get a preview of in Amazon, you will be astounded at the subjects it covers. I love a bargain and that really was one! Jam packed with info.

Thanks Sassy xxxxxxxx:hug:

Thanks Sass, I will def be getting the beauty bible and poss the brow one too.:)

Thank you Sass, it is always much better to buy something that has been recommended :hug:

whooohoo- just ordered mycopies, cant wait for them to come, thanks again sassy!!!:Kissing:

Thanks, I like the sound of the Beauty Bible and the brow ones...
Thanks I'm definatly going to have a look at these ones too!

Well i hope you aren't disappointed!!! I am still very much a novice in the beauty field, but I don't think you can ever have too many books no matter what your level of experience. Let me know what you think when you get them!

No, I agree, there is always something to learn, and i love books anyway! Im sure I will enjoy them very much. Quite sad really that I get so excited about a couple of books, ut it eats watching eastenders!:|

I had a cosmetic ingredients book when I was a student, it came in really handy.:green: I lent it to a friend who was training about 6 yrs ago, never had it back.:irked:

Well I think the Beauty Bible you can get a preview of in Amazon, you will be astounded at the subjects it covers. I love a bargain and that really was one! Jam packed with info.

I agree Sass, Paula Begoun's books and her website (Paula Begoun - The Cosmetics Cop - Paula's Choice) are a fantastic source of information and inspiration - my copies of the Beauty Bible and Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me are practically falling apart, they've been thumbed through so much!

Cool purchases Sass - that'll keep you busy with your reading, lol! :D

Andy x

Well a thumbs up from Andy is good enough for me, I really know I have a good buy now! I'll take a look at the site too, thanks Andy xx

BTW if anyone else has some fab reference books and wants to add them on here then please feel free to do so!

Thanks sassy i think i will put an order in for the makeup ones

I love Bobbi Brown - Beauty & Beauty Evolution

I haven't yet got her new one Living Beauty but will probably get it soon, I love her and her advice.

21st Century Beauty Bible by Sarah Stacey and Jo Fairley is also good as the items are all tested by real people (I know because I have tested) and some good info can be gleaned from them.

I am a book junkie and have loads in the salon so I am never bored.

Would be interested in any waxing book recommendations..................ANDY:hug:

I am a book junkie and have loads in the salon so I am never bored.

Would be interested in any waxing book recommendations..................ANDY:hug:

Ah well in that case, I very highly recommend:

"Encyclopedia of Hair Removal" by Gill Morris and Janice Brown (published 2006 by Thomson) - covers everything (and I mean everything!) from waxing, sugaring and threading right through to electrolysis and IPL. Also includes an excellent A&P reference that goes into much more detail than most beauty texts out there, business tips, health and safety advice, plus practitioner interviews and advanced knowledge sections. This book is the mutt's nuts and is bang up-to-date. The only thing it doesn't have is a comprehensive section on male waxing... maybe I need to get on the phone? :wink2:

Also worth checking out is "Milady's Hair Removal Techniques" by Helen Bickmore (published 2004 by Thomson Delmar) - it's an American text but also includes loads of excellent advice on home hair removal methods, waxing, sugaring, threading, electrolysis and laser hair removal.

:D Andy x

"Encyclopedia of Hair Removal" by Gill Morris and Janice Brown (published 2006 by Thomson) - covers everything (and I mean everything!) from waxing, sugaring and threading right through to electrolysis and IPL. Also includes an excellent A&P reference that goes into much more detail than most beauty texts out there, business tips, health and safety advice, plus practitioner interviews and advanced knowledge sections. This book is the mutt's nuts and is bang up-to-date. The only thing it doesn't have is a comprehensive section on male waxing... maybe I need to get on the phone? :wink2:

Also worth checking out is "Milady's Hair Removal Techniques" by Helen Bickmore (published 2004 by Thomson Delmar) - it's an American text but also includes loads of excellent advice on home hair removal methods, waxing, sugaring, threading, electrolysis and laser hair removal.

As always Andy you are a treasurexxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have your tutorial printed at home as well as the salon so I don't need a book covering that cos I doubt there is anything printed out there that comes close to your superb advice.

Thanks again:hug:

Ordered thanks Andyxxxxxxxxxx

thanx sassy, i have just ordered my copy of makeup makover:wedding from amazon! Hopefully it will insipre me as i am so not creative!!