SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailtrix

Reaction score
Does Karma really exsist?

I had a conversation with a client a while ago and I told her I don't think it does.

I explained, I thought the notion of Karma's existence made it easier for people to cope with certain situations in their lives, rather than accept a more reasonable/logical explanation for the problem and that I didn't think this kind of 'comfort blanket' was necessarily a bad thing.

What do y'all think?

I think this post should be in chit chat.

I find some aspects of karma interesting but I think it gets offensive when people imply that people have disabilties in because of wrongs in past lives.

I read a book called 'Everything Talks To Me' by Grace Speare who has some very specific views on 'karmic debt' where she says stuff like a person who is blind must have been racist or prejudicial in a past life, which I thought was a bit too much.

I don't believe it in karma myself, though, but it is very interesting that people do.

For every event that occurs, there will follow another event whose existence was caused by the first, and this second event will be pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was skillful or unskillful.' A skillful event is one that is not accompanied by craving, resistance or delusions; an unskillful event is one that is accompanied by any one of those things. (Events are not skillful in themselves, but are so called only in virtue of the mental events that occur with them.)
Therefore, the law of Karma teaches that responsibility for unskillful actions is born by the person who commits them

This is what the Buddhist teach....
In other words what goes round comes round........... so yes I do believe in Karma......

Gosh I believe in it definately. And when someone has crossed me I say what goes around comes around and hope it does!!x

wow what a read ! lol

yep agree, what goes around comes around

kx

Nailsinlondon1 said:
For every event that occurs, there will follow another event whose existence was caused by the first, and this second event will be pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was skillful or unskillful.' A skillful event is one that is not accompanied by craving, resistance or delusions; an unskillful event is one that is accompanied by any one of those things. (Events are not skillful in themselves, but are so called only in virtue of the mental events that occur with them.)
Therefore, the law of Karma teaches that responsibility for unskillful actions is born by the person who commits them

In other words what goes round comes round........... so yes I do believe in Karma......

Yep I believe in Karma - I might be wrong - but I'm sure that I once read that the buddhists believe in something called the wheel of life where you keep being reborn until you have become a decent person - I try to be and even though I had a difficult life when I was younger - I have to say that I have in the grand scheme of things a pretty good life:green:

I think there is some truth in it and over the years (like most people) have had some awful experiences with people (ie telling lies and makeing me look like a bitch and it started when I was really young) and I now look at these people and they have had some awful things happen to them (not that I wish harm on anyone) but my life is wonderful...I am one of those happy people... but what goes around most defnitely comes around...

I believe in karma too, seen it happen to others many times, sometimes subtely, sometimes in a big way. Great explanation from Ruth, exactly right! You never know, you could come back as a slug in your next life because of the way you behaved in this one :confused: (I'm talking generally here, not to anyone in particular LOL!)
Best to be nice, I'm not sure why people feel it necessary to be otherwise...

Best to be nice, I'm not sure why people feel it necessary to be otherwise...[/quote]

I totally agree with this-the world would be a much better place if everyone thought this way.:rolleyes:

I am also a believer in Karma...

Yes it can be a comfort blanket in some instances.... it can help people get over anger/grief slightly better I suppose...

You should always treat people how you would like to be treated and then you can't go far wrong.

In believe in doing unto others as you would have them do unto you...and that what goes around definately comes around...and it comes back 10x's worse!!

My mom always told me that when you dig a ditch for someone to fall in you will always find yourself in that hole!!!

The 'wiccan/pagan' way of things is "harm none" and should you try to do so, it comes back threefold.

I'm hoping it's true.

Nailsinlondon1 said:

R u a buddist, ruth?

Work with 100 girls at a time...you'll believe in Karma....say something nice, do something nice, make people feel good about themselves, you feel good about yourself, you hear nice things and people do nice things for you.

One girl scowls at another....99 others are ready to tear the first one apart.

Thumper's mother (the rabbit in Bambi) had it right, "If you don't have nuthin' nice to say then don't say it at all"

I know if I do what I'm supposed to, when I meet my maker I will have nothing to be ashamed of whether or not Karma is involved. Besides it's more fun to be nice....it makes people wonder what kind of drugs you're taking.

I am a buddist, and I have some Monk friends, what Ruth said is definatly true. Once I saw one of my uncle's friend's mother when she was dying, there was a Lotus around her, cos all her life she was really nice and kind to people, so her next life will be brilliant (very rare when people die there will be a lotus). Oh, this thread make me to think about buddism now, I am a big Beliver.

I believe in the rule of three, which is sort of like Karma. What you give out, whether it be good or bad, will return to you three-fold.

V/ interesting thoughts.

I personally have never seen anything that makes me believe in Karma.
2 examples I gave to my client was Hitler and General Pinochet ( hope I spelt this right). One was able to decide how and when he died, unlike his victims and the 2nd has lived to a ripe old age, unlike his victims. I have seen 'good' people have bad things happen to them and visa versa.

I think if Karma was true then there would be no, or v'little need for the judicial system.

I end my thread,for those that belive in Karma, If (god forbid) you came home to find your house burgled and none of your neighbours had seen or heard anything would you call the police or let Karma take it's course? ( Stats show stolen items are rarely retrieved, ask your local constabulary)

Thanks for your thoughts guys. xx

Not sure if these vilains actually had enhanced lives from their atrocities...but in the end they never actually got away with it...

I know if I got burgled - yes I would be gutted and my possessions would never be found and I would be devestated...but those who did the crime would be probably a drug addict, that is a torture in itself not a reward...their life a waste, mine would still be good happy and healthy...could the same be said of theirs? Just a thought.

Nailtrix said:
V/ interesting thoughts.

I personally have never seen anything that makes me believe in Karma.
2 examples I gave to my client was Hitler and General Pinochet ( hope I spelt this right). One was able to decide how and when he died, unlike his victims and the 2nd has lived to a ripe old age, unlike his victims. I have seen 'good' people have bad things happen to them and visa versa.

I think if Karma was true then there would be no, or v'little need for the judicial system.

I agree.

I don't believe in the saying "what goes around, comes around". I think it's a safety blanket that makes people feel better.

I would like to think that I'm a decent sort of person (and so is my family) and have never done anybody harm. However, bad things keep happening to me and my family. To be honest, the nicer we are, the worse it gets !

So yes, I totally agree with Nailtrix statement.

River

Jeni Giles said:
Work with 100 girls at a time...you'll believe in Karma....say something nice, do something nice, make people feel good about themselves, you feel good about yourself, you hear nice things and people do nice things for you.

One girl scowls at another....99 others are ready to tear the first one apart.

Thumper's mother (the rabbit in Bambi) had it right, "If you don't have nuthin' nice to say then don't say it at all"

I know if I do what I'm supposed to, when I meet my maker I will have nothing to be ashamed of whether or not Karma is involved. Besides it's more fun to be nice....it makes people wonder what kind of drugs you're taking.
I agree 100% Jeni - It makes me feel a lot better about myself if I am nice with peeps:hug:

Latest posts

Back