L&P application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonU

Reaction score
I have yet to post anything on here so I thought I might as well go for it.

I am posting a critique concerning my l&p application. I am not as strong in l&p as I am in gel. However, i'm still working hard at it and enjoy it very much. These nails that I am posting are a few different shapes and lengths as I was playing the other evening. They are entirely sculpted with custom blended white (because I personally prefer a more natural white), pink and clear powders. They were also all high shined buffed, not gel-sealed.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hoping to have some good critiques on these nails!

Attachments

• photo-8.jpg
    photo-8.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 253
  • photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 263
  • photo-7.jpg
    photo-7.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 269
  • photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 266
  • photo-10.jpg
    photo-10.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Good Job! I think they look really good, the only comment I would make is on picture 4 the smile line could be a tiny bit further up to give the appearance of a slightly longer nail bed, but that could just be down to preference. :)

Thanks! I hear ya for sure. I just wasn't working with any cover pinks the other day and was practicing keeping my consistency of white perfect with longer nail extensions. But again, thank you!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on my work?

they look pretty good, if you can do nails on those hands, you should be able to work quite well on a real finger.

I'm going to be fussy though ... the barrel shot (down the nail from the front), slightly thicker on the right hand side (but nearly everyone favors one side or the other).

The last picture (from the side), make sure the sides line up, there's a slight drop in the tip.

To be honest, you have done really well.

they look pretty good, if you can do nails on those hands, you should be able to work quite well on a real finger.

I'm going to be fussy though ... the barrel shot (down the nail from the front), slightly thicker on the right hand side (but nearly everyone favors one side or the other).

The last picture (from the side), make sure the sides line up, there's a slight drop in the tip.

To be honest, you have done really well.

Thanks so very much for the critique! I see both your points now about it being thick on the right side and the sides not lining up! Thank-you very much! I do l&p on myself all the time, but for clients i've stuck with gel as i'm quite confident with it. I think I am going to start promoting myself more with l&p. I love working with it! Again I really appreciate you taking the time to critique my work!!

Shannon

Thank you for asking for my critique. I really agree with Carl on every point.
Every tech favours one side with a bit more product ... The important thing is that you recognise that and then correct on finishing off with your filing. Analysing and Learning how you personally lay your product down takes you a long way in nail technology .. Sort of like knowing yourself takes you a long way in life. :biggrin:

As to working on the nail trainer, I have always said that if you can construct good looking nails on a slightly over-sized nail then real nails are so much easier to master. Similar to the same principle as, the 'pinky' nail is often the one we like best out of the 10!

You are definitely on the right track so keep at it and take many more photos of the real thing and let's see.

As for the ones who advise using opaque powders and elongating the nail beds etc. ... Opaque powders are a recent thing ... Old technicians like Carl and me had to learn to make nails look beautiful without the aid of cover-ups. So I would say, work with the canvas you have and get that right and keep it natural-looking before you start getting fancy with coverage powders.

I have seen much work done using coverage powders when they have not really been needed and where the technician has gone overboard in making the nail beds just look freaky and unnatural and fake. I'm not into fake looking nails. Why make something real look fake ? ... The true art is in making what is fake, look real.

Thank you for asking for my critique. I really agree with Carl on every point.
Every tech favours one side with a bit more product ... The important thing is that you recognise that and then correct on finishing off with your filing. Analysing and Learning how you personally lay your product down takes you a long way in nail technology .. Sort of like knowing yourself takes you a long way in life. :biggrin:

As to working on the nail trainer, I have always said that if you can construct good looking nails on a slightly over-sized nail then real nails are so much easier to master. Similar to the same principle as, the 'pinky' nail is often the one we like best out of the 10!

You are definitely on the right track so keep at it and take many more photos of the real thing and let's see.

As for the ones who advise using opaque powders and elongating the nail beds etc. ... Opaque powders are a recent thing ... Old technicians like Carl and me had to learn to make nails look beautiful without the aid of cover-ups. So I would say, work with the canvas you have and get that right and keep it natural-looking before you start getting fancy with coverage powders.

I have seen much work done using coverage powders when they have not really been needed and where the technician has gone overboard in making the nail beds just look freaky and unnatural and fake. I'm not into fake looking nails. Why make something real look fake ? ... The true art is in making what is fake, look real.

I'm completely with you on "making what is fake, look real". I love beautiful natural enhancements. The more natural I make my nails, the happier I am! I will definitely post more. I will start asking my clients more if I can take photos and post some more! :)

I really appreciate you taking the time to critique my work..It feels great to get such expert advice from both you and Carl! So thank you dearly.. I have a huge smile on my face today! :hug:

Latest posts

Back