L&P....lets change the world

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
I don't know if this bothers any of my other fellow geeks but if you think this is a good idea then jump on the band wagon with me....

It drives my nuts when clients and other technicians refer to L&P as Acrylic...its not accurate and i think L&P sounds nicer...

So from now on why don't (if you don't already that is ) we all agree to call L&P, L&P rather than acrylic it helps educate our clients and keeps our technologies correctly labelled...

Phew off my soap box now..

hi agree but alot of clients only say acrylic everyone i know just uses the word acrylic u say l&p to them and thery dont know wat it is xx

emmalouisa said:
hi agree but alot of clients only say acrylic everyone i know just uses the word acrylic u say l&p to them and thery dont know wat it is xx
Well reducate them hun - we are here to help and guide them and make money of course.

I beleive the more we all do this the more word will spread.....most of my clients wouldn't have know what or how L&P worked (ie monomer and polymer mixed by brush) as they are always surprised...

I find clients are just want the look....as they got the perm french look they are happy! but theres no harm in letting them in on the correct terms, its not hard to understand really, well all my clients get it...

Hi Louise, I'm with you on that! Although I do find myself referring to l&p as acrylic sometimes too (slapped wrists at dawn I know). It's just that when I try and educate some clients you can see their eyes glaze over and the whole thing washes over them - I know - it's the way I tell 'em lol! But I do try!

And then you get those that lap it up and can't wait to go and educate all their friends too.

But when people phone up and ask for acrylic I do now say i do an acrylic gel, rather than saying no we only do gel! But it is only really as a result of coming on this site that I too have become fully educated, so guess we need to educate the educators who in turn educate the techs who in turn educate the client.

Again it this something that the ANT could be doing - educating the public about the correct terminology?

Sassy Hassy said:
Hi Louise, I'm with you on that! Although I do find myself referring to l&p as acrylic sometimes too (slapped wrists at dawn I know). It's just that when I try and educate some clients you can see their eyes glaze over and the whole thing washes over them - I know - it's the way I tell 'em lol! But I do try!

And then you get those that lap it up and can't wait to go and educate all their friends too.

But when people phone up and ask for acrylic I do now say i do an acrylic gel, rather than saying no we only do gel! But it is only really as a result of coming on this site that I too have become fully educated, so guess we need to educate the educators who in turn educate the techs who in turn educate the client.

Again it this something that the ANT could be doing - educating the public about the correct terminology?

Top comment about the ANT this is spot on for their cause...

Well this thread died a death then :o

....I honestly thought this might evoke some really interesting comments it,s had quite a few views but no comments...any more for any more or I am just the only sado on her that prefers correct termanology???

Hi Louise,
I reckon this is a hard one as you're treading a line between trying to educate clients but also not confusing them. Like, if you suddenly start putting 'L&P' on price lists it could just confuse clients and potentially put them off. I was thinking of putting an 'FAQs' section on my website explaining how all nail products are acrylic and the correct term is 'l&p' (and saying why), and also explaining the difference to clients in person (probably trying to bring it up in conversation rather than making a point of it) but for now I think if I changed my price list I could either confuse clients or, worst case scenario, lose potential clients if they don't think I do 'acrylics'.
Lol x

I have just been on another forum trying to explain the differnce as people still think that acrylic is having a tip put on, not the actual product. And also that nails wreck your nails and they need to breathe la la la

Bodacious said:
I have just been on another forum trying to explain the differnce as people still think that acrylic is having a tip put on, not the actual product. And also that nails wreck your nails and they need to breathe la la la
Well good onya BOdacious for trying to educate consumers even as hard as it is...beathing nails....lol

This always gets my back up, I always say L&P and some of my phone bookings go a bit like this.
Client...Do you do acrylic nails
Me.......Yes,Gel and L&p.
Client...Oh I want acrylic not gel
Me......Well gel is an acrylic, So which do you want
Client..Yes sorry I said acrylic, But all my friends say acrylic nails for the one's you make with the powder stuff, So I want L&P
Me.....Well you can put your friends right from now on.

Phone down, smile, Another person educated lol

I also have a similar problem when someone says to me "i want acrylic nails" i then always say well is that the liquid and powder or gel? They say acrylic again then i say, they are both acrylics. This always suprises people and i think its worth telling them the difference, (or not as the case may be) i think potential clients like to feel that you know what you are talking about and they learn something at the same time.

I'm all for educating the public, lets go for it.

Fab

I agree with what everyone is saying and yes we are correct, but i imagine Hoover had this same problem trying to educate all of us that Hoover was their company name and sold more than Vacuum cleaners, how many people out there do you here say i'm just gonna hoover the living room whilst reaching in the cupboard for their Dyson.

It is correct to educate but we also don't want to confuse our target audience, I explain the differences to my clients when doing their nails and once explained to them in detail they understand.

Hi l don't want to sound dumb :o but l need some more info on this subject, l only found out that gel is also acrylic (thanks to this site!) a while ago. could anyone let me know some more facts, or if there is anymore posts on the subject, so l've got a better understanding, and can explain it better to my clients, thanks Angie xx :D

JMo said:
Fab

I agree with what everyone is saying and yes we are correct, but i imagine Hoover had this same problem trying to educate all of us that Hoover was their company name and sold more than Vacuum cleaners, how many people out there do you here say i'm just gonna hoover the living room whilst reaching in the cupboard for their Dyson.

It is correct to educate but we also don't want to confuse our target audience, I explain the differences to my clients when doing their nails and once explained to them in detail they understand.

Exactly we don't want our clients doing down the the same way...You've used such a good example
Its time to nip it in the bud

i personally applaud any nail tech for trying to use the correct terminology for the chemicals we use.
as any students who have graced my academy will confirm, my pet hate is ADHESIVE- NOT GLUE!
i've been threatening a "swear-box" for ages now, NO-ONE gets away with it!
i'm also pretty consistant with the L&P issue aswell
liza

Latest posts

Back