Quantcast

L&P lifting - i think i've figured out why???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmajt

Shopaholic Geek
Joined
May 12, 2004
Messages
828
Reaction score
15
Location
Derby, England.
I'm not sure, but i think i might be geting somewhere now.

I've done three sets of L&P this week (be it infill or full set) and everytime i notice that when i put the bead on for zone 2 it's seems to cover that area before i have chance to press it down (as in too much product). Thus when i do press it down it goes near the side walls - hence why it's lifting.

Now the only thing i can think that i'm getting wrong now (God it's never ending!!), is that the bead for zone 2 is too big.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get a smaller bead, or should i just get a smaller brush for zone 2 & 3??

I currently use a no 8 brush from The Edge.

Does anyone ese use different size brushes during application - or am i just going to make my life more difficult??

Em.xx
 

talented talons

Master Artist
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
3,176
Reaction score
71
Location
essex
Hi,

I know what you are saying, and i have had similar problems. I actually use a very small brush, mines a Kolinsky Sable Minor brush from Star Nails. I've found as i can sometimes work wet which means you pick up too much Monomer, so then when you pick up the powder you end up with a large bead to put on zone 2, which also means you probably end up with a large bead in zone 3 which can be awful and mean you have alot of fileing to do.

I found by using a small brush i can be more precise and feel its better to add abit more than having to file it away. What product do you use? If you see some of my previous posts i had an awful time with lifting, but now i always concentrate on the edges first keeping them thin then brush down the nail from cuticle to free edge to level it out, (when doing zone 3) that way you don't get the product touching the skin that then causes the lifting as you know.

Hope this helps:biggrin:
 

Carole Lindsay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
11
Location
Barnet
Emmajt said:
I'm not sure, but i think i might be geting somewhere now.

I've done three sets of L&P this week (be it infill or full set) and everytime i notice that when i put the bead on for zone 2 it's seems to cover that area before i have chance to press it down (as in too much product). Thus when i do press it down it goes near the side walls - hence why it's lifting.

Now the only thing i can think that i'm getting wrong now (God it's never ending!!), is that the bead for zone 2 is too big.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get a smaller bead, or should i just get a smaller brush for zone 2 & 3??

I currently use a no 8 brush from The Edge.

Does anyone ese use different size brushes during application - or am i just going to make my life more difficult??

Em.xx
Hi Emma
If you are finding it covers the area before you have a chance to press it down then almost certainly the bead is too wet even if it is the right size (if i understand you correctly). I havent seen the Edge brushes so dont know what a size 8 looks like but like Talented Talons i use the Star Nails minor which gives you more room to move around and as she says better to use less at first and have to add than have to take away from the side walls.

Hth and let us know if you need more help.
 

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
32,641
Reaction score
1,033
Location
Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain
You can make the tiniest bead with the most humongous sized brush ....

Less liquid in the brush will make you a smaller bead no matter what size of brush you use.
 

naturalnails

Legend
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
15,180
Reaction score
585
Location
Daventry, Northants (UK)
I used to use a small brush as like you I was finding the beads were too big - I learned as Gigi points out that you can get really small beads with a bigger brush and I find that the bigger brush helps with the lifting as you can press down better with less effort using a larger brush - I use a CND Pro Styler - not sure what the equivalent size is.
 

Cathie!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2004
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
272
Location
South West England
I too had this problem and I knew I was working too wet. I switched to a smaller brush for a while until I got my ratio right and now I'm back on my EZ Flow Grand Artist Oval which is a #8.

What I discovered when using the smaller brush was how to get my ratio right using my 'eye' but now I've kind of sussed out how much to drain my brush for the size of bead I require - if that makes sense and with a larger brush I can keep more liquid in the belly to work the product once it's in place.

So I think that switching to a smaller brush for a while did help me but now I prefer my Grand Artist and wouldn't turn back.

HTH.
 

Emmajt

Shopaholic Geek
Joined
May 12, 2004
Messages
828
Reaction score
15
Location
Derby, England.
Thanks Guys,

I did a full set on Staurday and i really do think i'm working too wet as the beads are huge using my no 8 brush.

I've now bought a no 6 wich is loads smaller and had apractice on a couple of tips at the W/E.

I'm now getting the bead size right, but like Naturalnails said i'm finding it more difficult to press down.

I know it's practice, practice, practice that i need, but using a no 8 brush i just can't seem to get the bead a different size, without it being too wet - i thought i'd got the ratio thing right, but obviously not eh!

Oh well back to the drawing board i guess.

Em.xx
 

fidev

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2003
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Location
Scotland
Dear Em,
don't lose heart.....keep smiling! Keep practicing......you'll get there! When I think back to the first few sets of nails I did (on my pals thank god!) they were hideous.......but I kept on going and soon enough nails became my fave treatment!
I think it's wonderful now that there is a site like this available and a great many people willing to share their knowledge, whether from years of experience or from starting off and learning from a bit of trial and error!
So when you get stuck.....keep asking! Good Luck!
Fiona x. :)
 

Emmajt

Shopaholic Geek
Joined
May 12, 2004
Messages
828
Reaction score
15
Location
Derby, England.
fidev said:
Dear Em,
don't lose heart.....keep smiling! Keep practicing......you'll get there! When I think back to the first few sets of nails I did (on my pals thank god!) they were hideous.......but I kept on going and soon enough nails became my fave treatment!
I think it's wonderful now that there is a site like this available and a great many people willing to share their knowledge, whether from years of experience or from starting off and learning from a bit of trial and error!
So when you get stuck.....keep asking! Good Luck!
Fiona x. :)
Well I've got another full set tonight, si i'm going to practice loads before hand and see if that helps.

Em
 

MissNailPro

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2003
Messages
131
Reaction score
14
Location
Massachusetts, USA
Another tip that can help here is---

when you dip your brush into the liquid, only dip the flags in- the very tip of your brush- this will prevent over-saturating the brush.

The liquid is mainly stored in the belly of the brush- so if you do not dip all the way to fill the belly, you won't have as much liquid.

Try practicing your bead size and mix ratio on plastic tips- create and re-create beads over and over, and you'll see that you CAN do it!!! :D

Good luck, hope I've helped!
 

Emmajt

Shopaholic Geek
Joined
May 12, 2004
Messages
828
Reaction score
15
Location
Derby, England.
MissNailPro said:
Another tip that can help here is---

when you dip your brush into the liquid, only dip the flags in- the very tip of your brush- this will prevent over-saturating the brush.

The liquid is mainly stored in the belly of the brush- so if you do not dip all the way to fill the belly, you won't have as much liquid.

Try practicing your bead size and mix ratio on plastic tips- create and re-create beads over and over, and you'll see that you CAN do it!!! :D

Good luck, hope I've helped!
Thanks so much for that, i'll give it a whirl later - let youknow how i get on.

Em.xx
 

Debsidoo99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
315
Reaction score
18
Location
South Yorkshire
Just keep trying hon, you'll get there in the end. Believe me, I had exactly the same problem as you getting my beads the right size etc etc but I succeeded after throwing many tantrums with my brush and monomer pot !!! It does take practice and will power to succeed but I got there in the end.
We are here to give encouragement and help. Keep going, I'm sure you'll get there too !
xxx
 

fidev

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2003
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Location
Scotland
Debsidoo99 said:
We are here to give encouragement and help. Keep going, I'm sure you'll get there too !
xxx
Nicely said Debs......I'm sure we all agree with those sentiments!!

Fiona x.
 

talented talons

Master Artist
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
3,176
Reaction score
71
Location
essex
Hey Emma,

Just had to say hun that if it was that easy every Tom, Dick and Harry would be doing it.

Being a nail Technician takes dedication, skill and alot of time and effort. So don't worry how long it takes you to master any technique it will make you a better Tech in the long run.

We are all here to help you so just remember we have all been there and know what you are going through.

Chin up matey, you will crack it.:biggrin:
 

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
32,641
Reaction score
1,033
Location
Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain
Just thought I woud take the time to apologise for the 'harsh' sounding post which was meant to be read 'toungue in cheek' but obviously didn't come out that way.

I in no way meant to imply that anyone was thick ... so sorry ... I was trying to point out that the concept of cr4ating a small bead was not difficult but rather quite obviously simple i.e. less liquid = smaller bead ... with all the hundreds of posts that I do, I do not think in general I am seen as being usually anything other than encouraging and sympathetic.

Please try to understand that sometimes, it can be frustrating for me too as I so want everyone to get it right, and to help. How about giving me the benefit of the doubt in future and knowing me well enough by now, realizing that I never mean to offend. I am sorry if I did so in this case.
 

paula1973

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Messages
231
Reaction score
17
Location
hampshire
Hi,

It's all practice, practice, practice! I use an ultra sculpter (it's HUGE!!), It's the brush i feel comfortable with and can get the tiniest of beads, it's all about ratio and it comes with time and dedication and yes practice. You'll get there in the end.
Love paula x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top