L&P smell issue!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorgeousnails

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just started to sharpen up on acrylics. I got The Edge products as my local supplier recommended them, however the smell is ridiculous!
Literally, I only did 4 nails, the windows were open in the room, and front door also open for a while, nothing spilt, everything I used was straight in a bag so nothing seeped into towel etc, and when I was done I did the bag up and disposed, then hoovered incase dust got onto floor.
But the smell didnt go for 2 days! I cant remember it smelling that bad when I was training!
What am I doing wrong here???? Am I being really dumb? Or is it the product??? Any suggestions, as I am mobile, I know my clients wont appreciate houses smelling for days after!

Help Me Please!!

Angel

I quite like the smell, may sound strange but i dont really notice it ,iv been praticing with nsi at the mo,not doing to bad.lol.The only time i notice it is when i go out the room or hubby comes home and says whats that smell .lol.xxxxxxxxxx

i find that diffrents brands of acrylics vary in the smell intensity. for example young nails acrylic is very heavy and strong , but opi competetion 3000 is much more tolerable. also at nailite inc.com they sell "stink out "drops- they neutralize the monomer smell and its smells like green apple. i use it when i need to and it works great. smell is no longer an issue in my salon because of the combination of opi comp , stink out drops and a dappenwith lid. hope this helps!

Different brands do differ but smell can be controlled usually with good working habits. If you search minimising odour you will find all the solutions.

It does help if you are using a low odour monomer such as the one mentioned above or CND monomers which are all low odour.

Doug Schoon, the industry authority on product chemistrydoes not advocate the use of 'stink out' drops added to monomer .. it changes the delicate chemistry of the product. You will make nails, but not the nails guaranteed by the brand you are using. There may also be an insurance issue if you start to tamper with the chemistry of your products.

Wiping your brush on tissue or paper towels is the biggest cause of increased odour. Avoid this if you can. Wipe instead when you have to on a pad dampened first with nail sanitiser. This will draw any excess monomer into the pad and trap the odour there. Try it .. it works.

Different brands do differ but smell can be controlled usually with good working habits. If you search minimising odour you will find all the solutions.

Wiping your brush on tissue or paper towels is the biggest cause of increased odour. Avoid this if you can. Wipe instead when you have to on a pad dampened first with nail sanitiser. This will draw any excess monomer into the pad and trap the odour there. Try it .. it works.

I can vouch for this, I'd never heard of doing this until I went to meet Gigi and had my popit demo, I couldn't believe what a difference a damp pad makes.
Now I always do this. For someone mobile I would also add, take your waste with you, that way you know the client wont have the smell lingering in their bin, or the risk of them putting something unsafe near it.

Latest posts

Back