Lack of oxygen caused fingers & nails to turn purple & nail polish to stain. Why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franjess

Reaction score
My mom has heart and lung problems her fingers and nails turned purple after walking down some stair after her brothers funeral. I rubed her hands to get oxygen and blood following to her fingers again and it helped with returning her hands and fingers back to normal color, but her nails stayed purple, The next day I notice that the purple was only on the clear nail polish she had on. So I removed it from a couple of fingers and her nails under those were normal color. What was excreated from her body, because of lack of oxygan, that would have caused it to stain her clear nail polish? She was told she has harding of the lungs but doctors don't know why. Doctors ruled out asbestos exposure. I just want to know what caused nails polish to stain purple? Toxins released from her body or what? I also have pictures of this but don't know how to post it.

Last edited:
Hello franjess,
What you describe is not medically possible. Nothing can be excreted from the fingertip that would alter the colour of the nail varnish.
The change you saw in the colour of the nail varnish, I suspect, would be nothing to do with the varnish but due to colour being seen THROUGH the varnish from the fingertip below.
If you removed the varnish, the the friction from doing this would have helped to remove the de-oxygenated blood from the area and temporarily, slighly improved the situation.
If people have poor localised circulation then it is common for the fingertips/nails to be blue or white.
Hope that helps.

Hiya Reynauds disease does this too as the extremities get cold eg finger tips, toes nose ect once warmed up the normal colour should come back nice and pink, this happens to my daughter as she has reynaulds only found out last month it scared me her fingers go white then red then blue and she has to get in the warmth she has to double up with socks and wear gloves ect. :)

because your mother has 'hardening of the lungs' this makes it difficult for her to breath - probably suffers a lot with shortness of breath? What you are seeing is circulatory ie lack of 02 causing the blue/purple extremeties you describe. This is not unexpected in your mothers case from what you describe.

This would be nothing to do with the nail polish, as already mentioned, but rather an 'illusion' of what her finger nails looked like coupled with her condition.

Hello franjess,
What you describe is not medically possible. Nothing can be excreted from the fingertip that would alter the colour of the nail varnish.
The change you saw in the colour of the nail varnish, I suspect, would be nothing to do with the varnish but due to colour being seen THROUGH the varnish from the fingertip below.
If you removed the varnish, the the friction from doing this would have helped to remove the de-oxygenated blood from the area and temporarily, slighly improved the situation.
If people have poor localised circulation then it is common for the fingertips/nails to be blue or white.
Hope that helps.
Possible or not, I have pictures to show that she had regrowth at the cuticle area that was normal color and the clear polish was purple. Thats how I noticed it. My mom and I most be from another planet because doctors are puzzled as to some of our health problems. Systems are never normal as the health charts of any diease. Can someone tell me how to post these pictures so you can see for yourself. Maybe I can post it in My album on here. I'll have to see.

HIya Franjess If you go to your profile you can add them to your album from there I think. :)

because your mother has 'hardening of the lungs' this makes it difficult for her to breath - probably suffers a lot with shortness of breath? What you are seeing is circulatory ie lack of 02 causing the blue/purple extremeties you describe. This is not unexpected in your mothers case from what you describe.

This would be nothing to do with the nail polish, as already mentioned, but rather an 'illusion' of what her finger nails looked like coupled with her condition.
But her nails were normal color under the polish

Hiya Reynauds disease does this too as the extremities get cold eg finger tips, toes nose ect once warmed up the normal colour should come back nice and pink, this happens to my daughter as she has reynaulds only found out last month it scared me her fingers go white then red then blue and she has to get in the warmth she has to double up with socks and wear gloves ect. :)
Thanks
I have looked this up and found out about Reynauds disease, but it doesn't explain the polish

Hello again franjess,
I can't really add anymore to what I have said without seeing a picture. Even then it would be difficult to make a useful comment.
I would suggest that if you are worried about this, then you go to see your GP or practice nurse/nurse practitioner with your mom and see what they have to say.

I just added an album and put the nails in it there are two pictures of my moms hands. While I was at it I added some other pictures too. Is there a way I can just add those two pictures to this thread or post for reveiw.

I hope some others may have some thoughts on this. I've been thinking if nail polish is porous and the body released histamine (which can cause heart problems if in excess) or some medication she's been using, the nail polish could absorb it right? Like when you sweet and toxins come out of the pores. I quess thats why some clients have trouble with enhancements lifting, their bodies releasing medication or toxins from their nail bed and then the nail bed is no longer clean for the enhancement to adhere to

mmm was she wearing drak/black clothing for the funeral? To me it looks like dye staining from the clothing on the clear polish. Quite often when Im wearing dark clothes the dye transfers to clear polish and my hands and sort of stains them iykwim.

Thats a thought, she was wearing black.

Latest posts

Back