Lash extension, tape and gel pads

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessa1980

Reaction score
Hi there, at my lash extensions training I was told to put the gel pad first and then tape on top of the gel pad but I know some lash technicians do it the other way round, was wondering what you all do and why? X

Gel pad then tape, the tape helps hold the gel pad in place and also takes care of any stray bottom eyelashes. I think its more comfortable for the client to have the gel then tape too

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I do tape then pad I think it holds bottom lashes better and ive done it the other way but find my tweezers get stuck on the tape some times x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Tape then pad, I was told if a clients eyes water a lot the tape will aid with this. x

I personally tape then pad, it's becoming more common fir clients to become allergic to the pads (red eye in a semi circle at lower lid where gel has touched the eye).

By placing tape first you can then place the pads a little lower.

Personal preference though x

I worry about taping the lashes cos I'm scared when I take the tape off it will take the lashes with it - any tips!

Tape then pad.
I always soak the tape with damn cotton pads once ive finished so the tape is easily removed after the treatment.

Looks like the majority of you prefer doing tape first, do you ever end up sticking the false lashes to the pads? The only time I did it this way, tape then pad the lashes stuck to the pad and client (luckily was my friend) could open her eyes!

What a waste of product! I either tape or use gel pads, the pads can be expensive and they do the same job as the tape, some brands of gel pads have collagen in which wont benefit the client if its not touching the skin. I was trained to do both but after years of experience i use the pads because they are much more comfortable with clients and are easier to place on & remove, unless they are allergic, which is when i use my micropore tape. If the client has greasy skin or is twitchy the tape is good to keep the pads in place. The tape isn't very comfortable when being removed so i only use it only when necessary.

I tape lower lashes then gel pads. Only reactions I've had have been through gel pads causing redness when too close to eye. I then also use the sponge tip in water to gently wet the tape before removing.

Looks like the majority of you prefer doing tape first, do you ever end up sticking the false lashes to the pads. The only time I did it this way, tape then pad the lashes stuck to the pad and client (luckily was my friend) could open her eyes!

I agree with the others, first tape and then pads. Most clients have tiny bottom lashes that tend to sneak out if you only use pads and if you tape first you can place the pads lower so that the active ingredients can soak into the skin. Clients actually comment on the pads being nice and soothing.

By placing them lower you cant glue lashes to the pads but if you are inexperienced or new to lashing you can place the pads a bit higher up which offers a bit of protection as some students rest their tweezers when isolating and this will ensure you rest them on the pads (with a bit of experience this wont happen).

Personally I either use tape or pads. It's usually tape tbh too. I ask the client what they would prefer and if they are a regular they pick tape, apart from my friend who's allergic. New ones sometimes pick pads and I say if they feel uncomfortable at anytime or whatever we can try tape, then they always much prefer the tape. No one says it hurts, even my mum and she would just tell me straight. When I've had it as well there's no problems :) x

I was trained with tape and they said you can buy pads which is what I done immediately.like mrsblakemore said, The tape is uncomfortable and I think it's way to harsh to pull off from the delicate under eye area!!
The pads are soothing and easier to position when placing them.x

Latest posts

Back