Lash extensions, not sure whether to stick to it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry0875

Reaction score
Hi, I did my training in May and found it incredibly difficult. I only got about 6 lashes on during the course and thought I had wasted a lot of money on the training and the kit. I haven't had the desire to practice since and thought about reselling the kit that is untouched. My new business is 6 weeks old and after a good month I have a couple of quiet weeks ahead, Im just wondering whether I should cut my losses and resell the kit or try again...is it something thatrewuires a lot of practice or maybe I'm just not cut out for it???

Hi, I am also in Staffordshire and did my training in May, I have done loads of practice runs, the first few horrific length of time to get a half decent looking set which fell off in less than a week, but I stuck with it, changed my glue and now it seems to be falling into place nicely, got my first paying client on the 20th July and am confident to offer it now but at a reduced rate for first 25 clients. At first I was ready to throw my tweezers up the wall!! Give it another go, do you know anyone else who does lashes near you that could give you some help?

It does take alot of practice, when I qualified it took me 3hrs for a full set and now I can do it in just over 1.
You do have to want to practice though, if you're not interested then you may not do enough.
My friend wanted me to do a nail extension course with her but I'm not really into nails so I know I wouldn't find the time to practice!
Give it a go though, you'll probably surprise yourself!

Hi

I felt exactly like you on my training day, My friend and I thought we must be the worst ever students our poor trainer had ever come across, I don't think I even got six lashes on! I couldn't even pick the lash off the strip with tweezers let alone isolate natural lash, swipe with glue and apply all in one go, I remember the word 'impossible' was used a lot and I wanted to cry, walk out and go home!!

But I persevered, mainly because I'm stubborn and refused to let lashes beat me, and I'm so glad I did. It is now one of my main treatments I do and I now love it.

Yes it took months of practising and I charged a small price for some time until I felt confident, unfortunately it wont happen overnight. But all of a sudden you'll 'get it' and and it will seem so much easier.

Lashes are so popular, every woman wants good lashes and eyebrows as it makes so much difference to the face and once people start them most become addicted so you'll get them coming back. It honestly is my bread and butter now.

Practice as much as possible and I'm sure you'll be ok. Get more advice from your trainer if you can and salon geek is great for picking up tips.

Hope that helps x

It does take alot of practice, when I qualified it took me 3hrs for a full set and now I can do it in just over 1.
You do have to want to practice though, if you're not interested then you may not do enough.
My friend wanted me to do a nail extension course with her but I'm not really into nails so I know I wouldn't find the time to practice!
Give it a go though, you'll probably surprise yourself!

I find lashes really fiddley and it's such a high risk...pff i'm not sure if it's worh it.I also do nails,it took me a long time to get the hang of those as well,I'm sure is not just ME :D but if you really enjoy it,practice and you'll be fine.
xxx

Hey there
Stuck with it ask friends or family if you can practise on them and you'll be well on your way
I like the other comment reduced rate for 25 clients to gain practise but once you've done your set it's rewarding seeing the results
Personally I started with marvel lash and now changed to lash base it's fab and the glue I find is perfect as it sticks to the mash within seconds
Chin up and don't let it beat you xx

Thankyou everyone for you supportive replies :hug:
Yes I felt like crying and going home!!
I'm just not sure if I have the patience to practice for 3 hours! It really took me by surprise because it is the first course that I came away from feeling really deflated lol! I'm such a perfectionist!
I may look at my kit again and see how I feel about it x

I know exactly how you feel. I trained 2 years ago with lashes and it was a total NIGHTMARE!! I did my course and practiced on friends - like you, I only got on about 6 lashes in about 2 hours. It was so so hard. I stuck at it and offered free eyelash extensions for 3 months practicing on anyone. It was a thankless task for so long but now I feel confident and have a great lash client base. Stick at it honey.
Just the other night I had a particularly difficult client who had fine, super straight and terribly difficult lashes to do. I even stopped half way through and walked out the room to cry cause I took a total wobbly moment, but at the end of the treatment she was happy and I got through it.
Positive thinking - don't give up.xxx

Another one here to give you some moral support!

Click on my profile, read some of my previous threads on here & that should answer your question lol.

I'm by no means an expert, just thought I'd share by lash story with you, might make you lol but hopefully should make you feel better.

I trained with marvel lash 1 year ago, came home & cried at how much money id wasted, i was really upset how sh*t i was.

My training day was horrible, all the other girls on my course seemed to be dab hands at it, my model got stabbed in the eyelid & i managed to stick her lashes together (god knows how I stuck them together as I only managed about 4 lashes on each eye in 2 HOURS!)

after the course I gave her my phone number & we agreed we would contact each other to arrange a practise session, I text her twice! & she never did reply (I think her name was amy! So if your reading this & this story sounds familiar then shame on you, I needed you & were was you!) lmao.

I practised practised & practised some more, got too frustrated & gave up, sold all my stuff & carried on tanning, then one day doing some research on here as I always do lol I was reading proper princess's previous posts (thanks Clare) & see she did the same training & had similar problems, but she just got on with it, practised her butt off & now is amazing at lashes, so I just took a leaf out of her book & did the same! only difference being I'm not yet amazing at lashes lol

I still wouldn't post my pics of my work on here, as I'm paranoid that there not good enough, (me just being my own worst critic I think) but one day I hope to be good enough to show my work off with pride!

Please don't give up, honest, I'm glad I never x

I don't think anyone should practice for 3 hours at a time. It is soul destroying and you will end up tired, frustrated and sore.

If you have some willing models, book them in for an hour/hour and half per week.

Start with putting as many in as you can during the appointment but don't get worried about how many. Just concentrate on getting your application right. Add some more every week (use lashes only slightly longer that their natural lash or they will look a bit silly).

This really takes the pressure off you to create a fabulous set in the one sitting and really allows you time to perfect your technique. the lash set will get fuller and fuller each week and it will boost your confidence no end.

don't give up, it is really challenging in the beginning, I trained in November and qualified in January and my first few sets were awful, in terms of taking ages, didn't look good, i was nervous etc, I felt the same but you have to keep going because with every set you do you get better and better, I can now do a fab set of lashes in around an hour and 15 mins. i love doing lashes, i am always excited to get a new client and just love the whole process, don't give up hunnie xxx

I think with practice it will click!

I agree with elibee that you shouldn't keep practising for too long, even though I did.

I Don't quit and I can't let something beat me.

I think it looks easy and people think it's an easy service too add. They soon learn its not just bunging them on!

Address the products your using first, if your glue isn't suitable or your lashes are rubbish you may as well bang your head on a wall. get some willing models but make sure they know in future they will be charged.

My partner Let me put lashes on him and then removing them helped me learn how to carefully remove them. I'd sometimes leave a few on ha ha

It's practice and trial and error. Maye you will prefer pointed tweezers over cross. Or trays to pots. X

Good luck x

Another one here to give you some moral support!

Click on my profile, read some of my previous threads on here & that should answer your question lol.

I'm by no means an expert, just thought I'd share by lash story with you, might make you lol but hopefully should make you feel better.

I trained with marvel lash 1 year ago, came home & cried at how much money id wasted, i was really upset how sh*t i was.

My training day was horrible, all the other girls on my course seemed to be dab hands at it, my model got stabbed in the eyelid & i managed to stick her lashes together (god knows how I stuck them together as I only managed about 4 lashes on each eye in 2 HOURS!)

after the course I gave her my phone number & we agreed we would contact each other to arrange a practise session, I text her twice! & she never did reply (I think her name was amy! So if your reading this & this story sounds familiar then shame on you, I needed you & were was you!) lmao.

I practised practised & practised some more, got too frustrated & gave up, sold all my stuff & carried on tanning, then one day doing some research on here as I always do lol I was reading proper princess's previous posts (thanks Clare) & see she did the same training & had similar problems, but she just got on with it, practised her butt off & now is amazing at lashes, so I just took a leaf out of her book & did the same! only difference being I'm not yet amazing at lashes lol

I still wouldn't post my pics of my work on here, as I'm paranoid that there not good enough, (me just being my own worst critic I think) but one day I hope to be good enough to show my work off with pride!

Please don't give up, honest, I'm glad I never x

Think u just needed a nudge and bit of confidence :) x

Latest posts

Back