learn at home nail courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey there i like you have two small children i work part time as well and work from home. i am constantly training in new thing as always want to update my skill as a beauty therapist, i have now ventured back into nails as the course i done at college many years ago was a disgrace to say the least.

i am now training with nsi which is going great and today has been my worst day bloody smile lines:cry: lol. anyway what i am wanting to say yes en is the only way you can learn but to me a total waste of money i am finding it hard enough and i have someone looking over my shoulder guiding me helping me threw all the techniques and where i am going wrong, where in the dvd would it do this. today i wanted to throw my brush out the window but my tutur was so encouraging the second half of the class and my next model went loads better. if i was at home i would prob have packed it all away and left it for a few weeks before even looking at doing it. trying to fing loads of time at home as well is hard i only manage to do a couple of nights at the moment and i am so commited to my course going into a class encourages you to be better.

you will end up spending hundreds on a course that a lot of salons dont recognise and have to retrain with someone else. why not save up a little more and also speak to tax credits they can sometimes help you with costs towards childcare as you are doing a contiuous 4 week course and can help you out. and before i get accused of being a total en hater i did look into this option but i decided to save hard and do it through a rep company, also you never stop training in the beauty/nail indusrty so if you struggle at the moment to go for one training course then really it should only be a hobby. dont want to be harsh either thow sorry :hug:

With the deepest respect to you Jack and please don't take this the wrong way, but only I can say what is the right path for me to take.

I have done home learn before and enjoyed it, I like to sit and ponder and I like to be able to work in my own time, in my own home and am not exceptionally good in a "classroom" setting.

I know that CND are the industry leader for training and I know that with the knowledge and experience they have in the field of nails that 99.9% of techs would love to train with them. Just because it isn't viable for some of us does not in any way, shape or form suggest that there isn't an alternative method nor a prospective career.

Many colleges do indeed offer part time and evening classes - my local college ( Wirral Metropoloitan, Conway Park office, Birkenehad ) don't offer this and only offer 2 courses per year with limited spaces and they all run on a Saturday. You have to do the Manicure first, then the enhancements alongside a Health and Safety cert.

Beleive me Jack, I have searched for alternatives, I have cried and worried and done everything to try and get me on a CND course but, right now, it isn't feasable for me. That is not to say that one day I won't make a darn good tech though is it?

Thanks Chaz :) It will never be just a hobby for me. The timing right now isn't great for me to do CND or any other leading company and my circumstance means I can't spend time away from home but that won't last forever. I have seen some of the EN girls nails they have produced and they are really good, most of them are great. One day I will be a CND tech, this day I will be an EN tech but my passion and love of nails will always see me in this industry :) ( I am practising with my training hand also and on myself and have had some very positive comments about my nails so far with no training other than Gigi's book and a lot of will!)

hi brittoneo5 i really wish you all luck and hope your dream becoming a nail tech develops, for you prob have a natural flare for nails if your doing well from reading from books etc also i hope never offended you as i dont think you are any less a nail tech than me or anthing, was trying to advise the poster of other options and what i personally think would be a better choice for her. also read bout you inlaw with dementia my grandad had that and i remember how hard that was to deal with and how much time they need as well, so hopefully you arent disheartned with anything that has been said in this thread and good luck x

i see your very busy with no time on your hands right now! so its clear you wouldnt have time to properly learn nails right now!
and to be honest with you a home learning course isnt the right path to go!!
cnd do basic begginers course in like 3-5 days i think.
plus colleges do courses part time and in evening classes!!
if your going to do it do it right!
x
What is right (and convenient) for one, isn't always right for another.

We're all different, want different things from our careers, some full time, some part time, some home learn, some classroom learning.

Let's remember this :wink2:

Hi Destiny,

If you want a course that lets you study from home, try the link in my signature to Nail Technician School with allows you to study from home at your own pace.:)

Every licensing authority requires hands-on training and demonstrations to license a nail tech. No online nail technician school can offer licensing. However NailTechnicianSchool.net offers the most advanced preparation for nail technician licensing.

Thanks to our comprehensive lessons covering every element of nail technician training, you can be at an advanced stage of your training before you even begin taking practical lessons from a school in your area. This can speed up your qualifying time and get you on a fast track to your future nail technician career.

rgrds
Dave
Just a quick question re your post Dave...

I'm wondering how a potential technician can be at an advanced stage of their training before they've taken a practical lesson?

They won't qualify if they can't do the practical (and do it well), which is what keeps our clients coming back time after time, no matter how clued up they are on the theory.

Hi Sandi,

Thanks:) for your question, I am aware of the importance of practical training and have 12 practical excercises included in our course to coincide with the 90 lessons we provide to help students be at an advanced stage of their training.

rgrds
Dave

What is right (and convenient) for one, isn't always right for another.

We're all different, want different things from our careers, some full time, some part time, some home learn, some classroom learning.

Let's remember this :wink2:

I'm glad that you said this. I try not to comment but I've found this thread frustrating!! First of all, i wouldnt tell anyone to take a home course if they think its possible for them to take a classroom course. Its obviously going to be easier to learn with the help of a qualified tutor to guide you.

But, i think its rude of people to voice such strong views on something they have no knowledge of! I too would LOVE to do a classroom based course with a great reputation, and yes, if i really really put myself out i could, but it wouldnt be nice to my small children to suddenly be left with a childminder all day when they never have been before!

Also, there is a person on this thread who obviously has a real passion for nails, and is trying, around all her other complications and worries, to learn anyway she can. Its unkind to make that person feel less respectable than anyone else. Everyone starts some where. The first course is always a basic foundation, continued learning is how you become a master in any trade. I think anyone should expect to spend a large ammount on continued training courses. Even a CND foundation is just that (although obviously a very proffessional start), its a foundation course. The first step in your education to build on.

Like i said, if its an option to get into the classroom, thats the best route you can take, home learning is hard work. You will end up spending more money on training after, you will get fed up with not having someone tell you whats wrong but if the passion is there, and you plan to continue learning thoughout your career, why cant you end up as a fantastic tech?

Latest posts

Back