Learn from each others mistakes - Beauty version

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CStorrie1989

Reaction score
I've just been reading an amazing thread from a very talented hairdressing geek about the mistakes people can make when they are training and just starting out or just any mistakes in general. It's a really funny and interesting thread and I thought we could do it in the beauty side:) my worst one would be doing an eyebrow wax and didnt realise I had put a bit of wax on a part of hair I didn't want to come off and ending up taking a big chunk out her eyebrow! Still haunts me to this day!! Anyone else got any good stories :) xxxx

Exactly the same... Week after buying my own wax pot I was on a waxing spree with family it came to my moms eyebrows an I accidentally took bit too much of the one had to attempt to match! Haha.

Also in college doing a waxing underarm assessment, my
Sister came in, I applied the wax and strip pulled off and bam! All the hairs still on! As it was an assessment I had to tweezer everyone out! My sister was not impressed :/ and all the teacher said was you shouldn't used hot wax (we hadn't even covered hot wax by then!) x

I hated underarm waxing at college!! That sounds like a nightmare! But it's good we can laugh about it now :) xx

I was putting my hot wax pot away at a clients house, rather than doing it on my couch , I put my bag on her bed then as I put the wax pot in I dropped it and it landed upside down on her bed on top of an expensive blanket. Couldn't get it off, I never heard from her again.
Taught me a lesson to always lift my wax pot over my own couch and not over clients furniture!

I've left a hole in someone's eyebrow!! First day I got my wax pot and never did it again!! Also when I worked at a salon, there was a few if us cleaning a wax pot and trolley and ended up tipping over a FULL wax pot, went everywhere and took soooo long to clean up!!! Xx

I was at home once filling my wax pot so left it in another room and completely forgot about it went out came back and wax was all day the side and all over my moms cupboard... Least my wax pot was full I guess :/ xx

I've left a tin of wax on top of my wax pot come back and it's all down the wax pot, trolley everywhere.

I am now banned (in my own salon may I add) from filling up the wax pot, because I have since dropped a hot tin of wax on another trolley.

Lesson learned - watch your wax pot carefully, do not leave unattended, presume a metal tin is going to be hot at all times.

One of my cousins nails needed a repair, i had a couple of hours spare... So i thought no need to lug about my big case, just take the essentials. Got there and-id forgot my lamp?! Grr! Also, had to nip home once as id cleaned out my tanning kit and left my solution on the kitchen side! Xx

I have left my Spray tan solution at home, left my spray tan cup at home, left my air hose at home, all with different clients. What a pain and how embarrassing. When new to nails I also went to my first paying client to do Gel extensions, the tips yellowed for some reason and I had not brought any nail arnish to do a french polish to hide the yellow so was forced to remove them all. Poor girl spent 3 hours with me only to have the nails she started with. Never did her nails again. Wonder why???? LOL

I've spilt my strip wax in my car :( a WHOLE litre ugh...another time I was doing extractions on a client and knocked the magi lamp and BANG, knocked her on the head :( she had a laugh about it which was a relief. I've also forgotten to spray the front if a client's legs during a spray tan! She called me the next day wondering why they were still pale oh dear lol xx

I was being lazy once during a facial, hadnt moved my product trolley close enough to me and was reaching over to get a product from the back of the trolley. I didn't want to move the trolley close at that point as it would have been noisy and disturbed the client. I was leaning so much that the wheels on my chair rolled and it flipped up, causing me to crash in a heap on the floor. What an idiot! Thankfully the client saw the funny side and she still mentions it now!

Wow I have had so many disasters where do I start LOL....

-I once made the mistake of heating my wax in a microwave and it exploded all over the insides, My mum wasn't too impressed
-First time I ever waxed my mums upper lip I ended up droppping wax allll over her face
-during hot stones massage I have dropped the stones on the floor mid massage and caused quite a noise disturbance
-I have also left tint on too long on a clients brows and made them too dark

There are probably tonnes more but these were just off the top of my head!

It's been a learning experience :)

Not necessarily a beauty mistake but ALWAYS look at who you're typing a text to before sending it!

I sent a slightly raunchy text to a new client once instead of my boyfriend :o nothing explicit or nasty but embarrassing nonetheless. I told her my cousin had gotten hold of my phone and sent messages to some contacts... She humoured me but I don't think she believed a word of it. Whoops.

I also forgot my acetone and cuticle pusher with the same client (different occasions). I pushed back her cuticles with an orange wood stick and told her I was "minimising damage"... Luckily she had acetone and I didn't charge her for removal.

This lady had about 8 appointments with me and then decided she was going to try gels which I didn't do at the time (phew). I've got to say, I was quite relieved but I'll never know whether that was her polite excuse to not have the forgetful, clumsy, nervous, recently qualified nail tech back. :lol:

I wish I had the guts to contact her and say "have a free treatment on me, I promise I'm better now" haha!

Xxx

These are fantastic girls! It's always great to see how other work and improve. I love reading threads like this :) xxxx

I was putting my hot wax pot away at a clients house, rather than doing it on my couch , I put my bag on her bed then as I put the wax pot in I dropped it and it landed upside down on her bed on top of an expensive blanket. Couldn't get it off, I never heard from her again.
Taught me a lesson to always lift my wax pot over my own couch and not over clients furniture!

Haha, oh my god what a wee shame, that sounds like something I would have done! When things like that happen you really just want the ground to swallow you up. It reminded me actually, I have spilt black lash extension glue on expensive cream carpets a few times, I clearly never learn. I'm just so clumsy. I also managed to pull a curtain down by accident trying to open it for my client, and iv also broken the wheels/feet off a couch trying to move it. The joys of being a clumsy mobile therapist.

I remember once I was running late and panicking to get to my clients house. Got out the car carrying beauty bed, wax pot box and lash extensions bag, started galloping to her front door, tripped up on my own foot and went FLYING. Wax pot, strips, spatulas, couch roll everywhere! And I cut my hand really bad too which made me so raging that day, just wanted to go home lol :(

I was SO nervous doing my very first eyebrow wax as a qualified therapist... So nervous that wax ran off the end of my spatula and into her long, beautiful, blonde hair, right down the strand...

I was mortified and she was raging... Needless to say, I never saw her again in the time I worked in that salon!!

Just saying copyyyyycat hahaha. :) nice to read some boooooty girl mistakes. And thanks for calling me talented haha x

My classmate was helping me with an eyebrow wax at college (I had only done one before, and was still really nervous about them), and we accidentally used the "Sure Clean (all purpose surface cleanser)" instead of the "PreHon (pre-epliation cleanser)" on the client, and didn't notice until she had left. Thank GOODNESS it didn't cause her any harm. It could have been really bad. >_< The bottles looked EXACTLY the same, and "Sure Clean" -sounds- like a skin cleanser to me... >_> <_< That incident sure did not help with my confidence in eyebrow waxing....

I recently did a pamper party for about 9 people and was set for a busy night ahead. I was doubling my couch up as manicure table and massage table, so decided to higher it slightly to make it easier not to bash our knees when sat doing manicures.

So, I'm calmly adjusting said beauty couch- it's got metal legs with the little buttons you press in until they pop into appropriate slots. One of the legs doesn't seem to be finding it's hole and I'm turning and twisting, and I thought, I'd better start this again! So I pushed the leg in to the furthest point and then thought I'll find where the holes are from there. But... the damn leg got stuck! So I have 3 perfect height legs and one ... well not anything!! And the rubber stopper had then come off the end as I had pushed it in with such force. There wasn't even a gap to pull it back out again!

The guests were in the other room (thank goodness!!!) and I'm turning beetroot, face burning up thinking I'm going to have to drive back home (30 mins there 30mins back) and get my other couch!!! Then had a light bulb moment... searched around in my nail box and found a pair of tweezers!! I got the tweezers and opened them to their furthest point inside the hollow of the inner leg and tried with all my might to force the leg out, and movement!!! A tiny little bit of movement, enough to be able to rescue the leg and EVENTUALLY matched up the holes!

PHEW!! So word of caution to any with a portable couch- be patient when adjusting the height!

It was all fine in the end. And no one ever knew what dramas I had in the other room!

I work from a home salon and one evening I snuggled up on the sofa in my pjs with my family watching a movie when a client turned up! My phone had reset my calendar and I lost my appointments! I was mortified but luckily she found it funny and I did her nails anyway lol x

Latest posts

Back