Leaving wax heaters on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rdtimelucky

Reaction score
Hi all,

I work as a waxer from home, and some days I turn my hive 1000cc heaters on at lunchtime for any evening appointments. (I still work p/t in my 'day job'). I do this so the wax is settled at the correct temp so I can make my first evening appointment soon after getting home from 'work'.

Does anyone else do this? I know it's not ideal, but I really have no choice due to limited time when I get home.

I'm worried about fire risks, but surely it's not much difference to leaving a slow cooker on. Or is it?!

I use timers for all my wax pots. x

You can't use timers on the Hive digital heaters :-(

Timers don't work on the digitals which is a pain.

Leaving your heaters on is possibly a fire risk.

I use digital timers on my heaters and wax pots. I got mine from Argos 3 for £14.99

Ahh just saw the digital heater bit! Humm that's stumped me x

I have timers on mine..makes life soooo much easier

You can use timers with certain digitals but not all of them.
The tall digital one with a handle at the side can be used with a timer as it doesn't need to be adjusted once on, like the hive one does.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Lots of us use timers which make it so much easier.

Sometimes if I'm working really early in the morning the next day I leave the wax on overnight.

As Vicki said lots of digital heaters don't work on a timer facility but some do , I'm using the Perron new digital ones now and they do switch on with a timer

Going back to the original question about whether it's ok to leave them on over night.

I've done it myself countless times in my past but not anymore as we wouldn't covered by our insurance for a fire. Different for those that work from home as you're there to smell burning or your smoke alarm would go off.

So in response to your question: No, it's not ok to leave them on in a salon but for anyone working from home I don't see it's a problem if you're not leaving them on when you go away. HTH's

When I worked from home I actually went away for a weekend leaving my wax pot. Luckily all fine but definitely not recommended lol x

When I worked from home I actually went away for a weekend leaving my wax pot. Luckily all fine but definitely not recommended lol x

I've love to leave mine on 24/7 if I could. lol x

I use timers too. I didn't realise they don't work with digital heaters. Bummer!

I'd never leave a pot on over night or during the day because of insurance reasons and the fact that I'm a 'nervous Norman'. :D

I'd actually change heaters if I couldn't use a timer. I'd be lost without mine. Timers all the way! :Love:

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I only took delivery of my 3rd hive digital yesterday, so I'll have to work round it the best I can without taking risks.

Maybe I'll get the PR digital ones when they need replacing!

The other thing for us all to bear in mind is that we shouldn't be using extension sockets to plug in multiple heaters, as nearly all of them can only have a max. load of 13amps, and EACH one of the hive heaters is 13amps, so this would be a total overload and asking for trouble...

I'm a mobile waxer so have a similar problem but I switch my wax heater on as soon as I get to a client and by the time the bed is set up and consultation done the wax is ready.
If you turned the heater on as soon as you got home (first thing you do), would that not give you time? They do heat up quickly. If not could you ask your client to arrive 10 mins later? I think by leaving it on it will stress you out every time you think about it. Xx

At my old salon we left them on 24/7 over night on lowest number.

In my own salon now and I just come in earlier to put them on if I have waxing first thing :) x

I plug mine into a timer so that it's warm enough for when I get into the salon and it switches off again after I leave.

Latest posts

Back