Length of time between maintenances???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsbunnypie

Reaction score
Hope you can all help as Im feeling a little blue.

Ive not long been doing nails (did my cnd foundation course in March 04) but acrylic nail extensions and manicures at home and also recently started 1 day a week in a local hair salon.

I don't have that many clients (at home) but the ones I do have come back for maintenances either 2 - 3 weeks. I don't get hardly any lifting and if they do lose a nail they always say its because of something they have done ie car door, caught it by accident. And my clients always say that they are really pleased with their nails.

Today I have been to the salon and the manageress asked me how long nail extensions should stay on. I said that to keep them looking great you should have a maintenance every 2-3 weeks. She said that a couple of the haridressers at the salon (who's nails I did 4 weeks ago), their nails have all come off and when they have them done at the other salon by another nail tek they last 6 -7 weeks without a maintenance. So the hairdressers have all gone back to the other nail technician.

I only use creative products and always make sdure my prep is thorough.

Am I correct in what I am saying?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Debs

you are right that maintenance should be between 2-3 weeks. for the life of me i can not think how this other techs nails are lasting so long!
by the sound of it, you do a great set without any probs such as lifting which is why i cant understand how they want to go to another tech?

do u know what products the other tech uses, (dare i say it sounds like mma???:smack: )

even if the way you apply the product is perfect and it never ever lifts, it still needs to be rebalanced, simply because the stress area moves as the nail grows, and you end up with the tip carrying too much weight and no product in zone 3 to support it at all, so if one of these hairdressers knock a nail, they wont just loose the enhancement, they will probley rip off half their natural nail!

maybe you should go and have a look see what this other tech is doing, and maybe ask her a few questions about it all. or inform these hairdressers of what rebalancing is and how much damage can be done to the natural nail if the nails are not correctly maintained! wouldnt be supprised if this other tech files away most of the natural nail and uses acetone to dehydrate and loadsa nail primer.

overall who cares what they think, they wanna not listen and ruin their nails let them, you know your a good nail tech and you use the best product on the market so (as usher says) pop ya collar, and carry on doing ure best for the sensible loyal clients you have!:)

Many thanks for your advice!!!!

Im not sure what products she uses but I do know that she does not use creative and she does not use any alternatives to cool blue, scrubfresh.

Cheers

Debs

Hi,

All I can say is that their client's nails must look awful even if they do stay on for 6 weeks.

I had a client on Tuesday and she'd been on her hols and her own nails had grown soo much that they were getting to the disgusting stage. They're all nice and pretty again and she loves them like that.

Is this the woman at the salon you are renting a room off?

That's nice of her to be so loyal to the tek thats renting space in her salon isnt it!!

I can't imagine what the other nails must look like after so long? I bet there vile...perhaps they want something cheap and cheerful....buy cheap look cheap...

Chin up !

Don't bend your standards to do what another tech is doing. As stated above, it's detrimental to the natural nail to go so long without a rebalance. Continue to educate your clients on aftercare and maintenance. Also, what I do is charge more per week after the scheduled rebalance. For example, a two-week rebalance will be a certain price, then a three week rebalance will cost more than the two-week, and a four week rebalance should be almost the cost of a full set. I do this not to encourage prolonged rebalances, but to deter them by increasing the price the longer they wait. Usually you'd end up doing more work, so charge for it, LOL!

Latest posts

Back