Lets get back to knowledge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dellaznailz

CND Education Ambassador, Moroccan Tan, Waxperts
Reaction score
After the numerous 'can I use this lamp with Shellac' , It's September and I've started a course can you do my homework posts and some unpleasantness on other sites I would like to get back to what I love about this site; Sharing knowledge and supporting each other.

(Sorry for the rant, I'm not feeling to good at the moment)

Sooooooo, I have a science question :!:

I know we need to be careful about what colour tips and sculpting forms we use when using Brisa (or any other gel!) for optimum curing so how does Black Brisa cure?
The only different ingredients in black I can see on MSDS are iron oxides which I presume are the pigments. Are there more UV absorbers in the photo initiators or am I missing something obvious?
:hug:

No you're not missing anything Della (sorry to hear you've not been to good BTW :hug:)

Each colour is formulated differently with different amounts of photo-initiators in them for complete curing within the same time frame.

I agree with you that it would be nice to see some intelligent and 'meaty' enquiries from people rather than using the site as many seem to be at the moment.

No one (apart from the 'old faithfuls') wants to take any time to look or share what they might know or their experience just ask questions that have been answered umpteen times and let someone else do the work.

Good thread Della....would be an even better one if I actually knew the answer lol :rolleyes:

Although, I am sure thanks to you asking ,I will know the answer very soon, which is the beauty of this site!!

Thank you :hug:

That makes sense to me geeg but it prompts another question! (oh how I luuuurve this stuff :lol:)

If different coloured gels have differing amounts of photo initiators how are we able to mix them and still maintain optimum curing?

I know Shellac is not a 'gel' but I remember that's why we have to layer the colours and not mix :green:

From what I am aware of gel nails. The organic chemistry is the same covalent bond compound when activated. The gel polymers are bonded together, to form the gel consistency. Each gel has a small pigment added and each measure is made separately, due to weight and chemical imbalance. The pigments do separate when kept in a position for a long time. The gel can be activated by a small amount of movement to start the bonding process again.
Whilst each gel individually is composed to be a structurally covalent bond, so when added with another colour the bond becomes stronger! (think two coats rather than one)
The Hybrid gel is a different polymer which has repeat stable structure. So when you cure it you have to layer the colours rather than mix! HTHs xoxo

Bump :green:

OK you had me up until 'makes it stronger'! surely if it were possible to make Brisa stronger CND would already be doing it?

Thank you :hug:

That makes sense to me geeg but it prompts another question! (oh how I luuuurve this stuff :lol:)

If different coloured gels have differing amounts of photo initiators how are we able to mix them and still maintain optimum curing?

I know Shellac is not a 'gel' but I remember that's why we have to layer the colours and not mix :green:

Coloured gels can be mixed because they are formulated to be mixed ie Brisa coloured gels.

Shellac is not a gel and is formulated differently for each colour and the curing thereof so we are advised not to mix them rather than have the cure affected.

I love how everyday you can learn something new! Geeg you are so true on people only asking questions but never sharing knowledge back! I may not be as knowledgable as more experienced techs on here but I think sometimes it would be nice for people just to offer a kind word of support, but saying that sometimes even when given an answer they don't appreciate it and argue with the person offering the advice.
Rant over and back to dying on the couch with flu:cry:
:hug:

I have no knowledge to share, I only started learning in August. I just wish maybe other geeks would do through searches on the site before asking questions that have been asked before. Now I know the search button is there, I use it most days.

Loving the science question dellaznailz...sadly I can not answer it!!!
The science side is something Im very interested in as I believe we should know how the products work etc before using them.

with darker pigmemts it usually the underside that can not cure because it is blocked by a solid from/white tip. If you make a free edge out of clear and remove (or use the clear forms but I just don't care for those myself they never seem to be as sticky and sturdy) the form put on your dark pigment the light is now able to penerate from the top and the bottom so you are able to get a full cure.

As far as mixign colors making the product stronger that doesn't make any sence the product is made to be strong and if properly structured your good.

Latest posts

Back