Life of the 'Girlfriend'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
Hi just wondering how many times you use the Girlfriend buffer before you retire it to the bin?

I'm finding that after a couple of uses its struggling and wondered if this is usual

ta.

Hi Tamm,

which part of the Girlfriend is struggling? I find they seem to last ages - but then maybe I am not using them enough LOL - I sometimes can't stand the arm ache so give up before mirror finish and use top coat LOL.

naturalnails said:
Hi Tamm,

which part of the Girlfriend is struggling? I find they seem to last ages - but then maybe I am not using them enough LOL - I sometimes can't stand the arm ache so give up before mirror finish and use top coat LOL.
lol Thats really funny.... sounds alot easier

I'm finding all 3 sides don't seem to do quite so well but especially the grey side for getting that glass finish..

I've tried what other peeps have suggested and wipe scrubfresh quickly over it to help bring up the shine but I think that maybe its not doing it a lot of good.

i always keep a little acetone near my station and run a little cotton ball with acetone across the grey side lightly . always be sure to use the black and white side thoroughly , its very important if u want to get that high gloss shine.i find my girlfriends last 4ever. using the acetone or scrubfresh gives u that new girlfriend feel ..... i love it.

guru

cndguru said:
i always keep a little acetone near my station and run a little cotton ball with acetone across the grey side lightly . always be sure to use the black and white side thoroughly , its very important if u want to get that high gloss shine.i find my girlfriends last 4ever. using the acetone or scrubfresh gives u that new girlfriend feel ..... i love it.

guru
No why doesn't mine then:( I try to ensure I'm using the black and white side thoroughly but I've even tried using it on my hubby's natural nails and same again... first time like glass ... second time not so impressive.

So if its lasting forever how many times do you reckon your able to use it and bringing up the same quality of shine?

at least 6 times . ok .....i know are u preping before u use the girlfriend? i find that if u use scrubfresh on the nail before u use the girlfriend(to get rid of any unwanted oil and dirt ), i get better results.oh and if u plan on using lotion on the client do this after u get that high gloss shine.

guru

cndguru said:
at least 6 times . ok .....i know are u preping before u use the girlfriend? i find that if u use scrubfresh on the nail before u use the girlfriend(to get rid of any unwanted oil and dirt ), i get better results.oh and if u plan on using lotion on the client do this after u get that high gloss shine.

guru
Yep do all that.:confused: But at least you've given me an idea how long they should be lasting.

hi tamm,
(i had problems too with me girlfriend but i was`nt using it properly lol)

when you have solaroiled and used the soft side of the koala, then used the black and white of the girlfriend, do you wipe over the nail with scrubfresh before you buff with the grey side ? thats what i was told to do and it works everytime.

Ok... I solar oil and koala buff.. then wipe over with scrubfresh.... then black side, white side then finishing with the Grey.

I was taught to wipe off oil before using the Girlfriend full stop... so am I doing this wrong?

Nope.

2 things:
A- SolarOil will start to break apart the friend o girls
B- SolarOil (or anything else on the nail) will interfere with the friend o girls ability to 'hug' the surface as well as if you were to ScrubFresh the surface.

To breathe some life back into my Girlfriend, I also quickly wipe a touch of ScrubFresh over the grey side when it starts feeling a bit dull.

My girlfriends last ages........................
I cool blue to clean them.................
Then I wipe the grey side with scubfresh to get that squeeky sounds when I buff.......
Getting it to squeek means , getting a squeeky glass like finish..............
I solar oil and Koala the finished nail, remove the solar oil and scrubfresh the nail, and then elbow grease and off we go.................
Takes about 5 minutes if that to get a glass like finish...................
And no worry that they might smudge those beauties on the way out...............
The shine last 2 weeks..................unless they are heavy handed and rumage in gravel in the garden........................LOL

Hi Ruth

How do you get your comp nails to such a high shine from cuticle to tip?

Is it a case of moving the girlfriend at an angle then horizontially across the nail?

Are you allowed to wipe the girlfriend with acetone etc like the Guru said in competitions?

Well done on your win!!
Take care.

Right babe,
After finishing the nail with the Koala and solar oil, I use a slimline buffer, and buff around the cuticle area..........Black, white and grey sides........
Then use the black and white sides of my girlfriend , then scubfresh the nail and the grey side of my girlfriend and buff..........
In Competitions, we use on buffer per nail.............. So I use 5 girlfriends per Comp.....
I personaly dont use acetone, I found scrubfresh does it's stuff for me...........

As for buffing technique, shoe shiners have the best technique,so I took my cue from them, side to side and then over the top, it creates a nice high shine...............

The painted hand get a good buff, nice and smooth and no flat spots, but not to shiney or the polish tends to slip all over the nail................

HTH

Thanks for that Ruthie
The amount of advise you have given me and alot of the others you should write a book!! ;)

As you are the queen of fabric how do you build the nail if it is flat so you have a nice upper arch? (sorry, off the post slightly) can you use more fabric?

Boost it baby boost it.................

Boost is used to build up the nail and the apex.............
Boost it before you apply the Fibreglass, then again after the fibreglass, just boost enough to finish the arch in a nice way...................
But this is comping Technique and not salon stuff.............In a comp you build a nail to please the eye, not durable but hey ever so pretty !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back