Lifting old tint with 12%

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinky lou

Reaction score
A new client has just messaged me. She wants a full head highlights in a "chestnut" colour. Apparently her hair is a "darkish, reddy sort of brown" colour. As you can tell I've not seen her yet.

I'm thinking rather then do bleach foils, then re colour, whether I should try using tint and 12% in foils.

Obviously I'll take test cuttings when user her to skin test, but I just wandering what you think of the 12% idea?

Tint won't lift tint no matter what strength you use. Xoxo

blach foils with 3% and then tone will give a much more natural, affective and kinder result.
Highlift and 12% will just waste product and time and youll end up with orange root glow.
JoJo

i am no massive color master but i would deffo go with bleach and 3% too i wouldnt even try hi lift x

Think you would get quite a patchy result stick with foils and 3% then tone.xx

10/0 or 10/ will shift colour with 12%. U would have to colour the virgin roots witha different colour to get it to match

Thanks guys. I knew this that's why I normally bleach then colour.

Don't know why I got that idea. But sometimes even though you know something wont work you need someone to confirm it x

10/0 or 10/ will shift colour with 12%. U would have to colour the virgin roots witha different colour to get it to match

I need a chestnut colour, so don't think it would work x

I need a chestnut colour, so don't think it would work x

Just do a test piece and. How much it might lift. It's surprising sometimes :)

There are techniques that can be used such as ammonia blasting, but the easiest, safest route is bleach and 3% if your not fast or confident.

There are techniques that can be used such as ammonia blasting, but the easiest, safest route is bleach and 3% if your not fast or confident.

So I'm right in thinking along those lines. I thought I was wrong - I've always thought tint won't lift tint- but once I got the idea in my head I kept thinking it must work (if that makes sense).

Speed isn't an issue, or confidence with other colours, but because I've not tried this before I wouldn't be 100% confident. I'll definitely try it on a test cutting, and on future cuttings too.

So I'm right in thinking along those lines. I thought I was wrong - I've always thought tint won't lift tint- but once I got the idea in my head I kept thinking it must work (if that makes sense).

Speed isn't an issue, or confidence with other colours, but because I've not tried this before I wouldn't be 100% confident. I'll definitely try it on a test cutting, and on future cuttings too.

As a rule. Tint doesn't lift tint. With an exception of 10/0 and 10/.
It can't b 10/1 or anythin, needs to be just the natural. It's all to do with how little tone a 10 has so there's not much for it to deposit and that's y it lifts the colour a bit.

There's a technique using high lifts where you apply, develop, then add more neat. The extra ammonia blasts fake colour molecules. It means refoiling very fast, so one for the more confident among us.

That's just a waist of products and increases the cost.
I've never heard of it either :-s
I think if ur gonna do somethin like that it will be better to just use bleach + pastel

Had a wella tec come in doing a training day, she said you can use concentrate and 12% over coloured hair to get a copper or red colour, or a very light bright copper or red for a slight copper or red result + 12 %.
I have foiled with the red concentrate over a base 6/7 colour, it showed up great, but faded quite quick .:sad:
she used 12/0 to lift dark hair lighter, it didnt hardly shift, is 10/ better??

Had a wella tec come in doing a training day, she said you can use concentrate and 12% over coloured hair to get a copper or red colour, or a very light bright copper or red for a slight copper or red result + 12 %.
I have foiled with the red concentrate over a base 6/7 colour, it showed up great, but faded quite quick .:sad:
she used 12/0 to lift dark hair lighter, it didnt hardly shift, is 10/ better??

by concentrate do you mean mix tones?

I second this. 10/0 and 12% can be great for this type of thing

Latest posts

Back