Light Ash Blonde (Wella) highlights keep coming out gold - what's going wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkbite

Reaction score
Hi there, I keep asking my hairdresser for lightest ash blonde highlights but they keep coming out yellow / gold. I have dark blonde ashy coloured hair naturally with gold tones (apparently). The lady used a Wella highlift tint (not sure which type or developer?) in lightest ash blonde the first time which came out gingery in places - and then the next colour (very slightly darker) up the chart the next time but it still came out yellowy and not ash toned. She sticks me under the Climazone to develop once the colour is in. What's going wrong? Thanks for any advice!!! Its much appreciated as I really dislike the yellow, gold and ginger highlights!!

Last edited:
Hi there, I keep asking my hairdresser for lightest ash blonde highlights but they keep coming out yellow / gold. I have dark blonde ashy coloured hair naturally with gold tones (apparently). The lady used a Wella highlift tint (not sure which type or developer?) in lightest ash blonde the first time which came out gingery in places - and then the next colour (very slightly darker) up the chart the next time but it still came out yellowy and not ash toned. She sticks me under the Climazone to develop once the colour is in. What's going wrong? Thanks for any advice!!! Its much appreciated as I really dislike the yellow, gold and ginger highlights!!

You may be too dark naturally for highlift tint to work properly...next time ask her to bleach your highlights and tone to achieve the ash blonde you're after. i understand bleaching may be something you're trying to stay away from because it is quite daunting for people, but to be honest with you, condition wise, there isn't much difference between highlift tint and bleach (as long as she uses a decent brand and not too higher peroxide)

Thanks for your reply. This makes perfect sense! However, the colour seems to have lifted this time to the desired shade (maybe even a touch too light) but definitely not tone. My only concern with the Bleach is that I'll end up looking too unnaturally blonde when the toner fades out. In fact I do already have a three or four bleach highlights to break up the colour which usually come out well enough!! If I were to ask for an even darker ash tone from the one she used would it still come out with yellow tones because of my base colour? I believe Koleston perfect was the product used. Thanks again for all your help!!! Its so hard as a consumer to know exactly what to ask for in the salon!! x

Thanks for your reply. This makes perfect sense! However, the colour seems to have lifted this time to the desired shade (maybe even a touch too light) but definitely not tone. My only concern with the Bleach is that I'll end up looking too unnaturally blonde when the toner fades out. In fact I do already have a three or four bleach highlights to break up the colour which usually come out well enough!! If I were to ask for an even darker ash tone from the one she used would it still come out with yellow tones because of my base colour? I believe Koleston perfect was the product used. Thanks again for all your help!!! Its so hard as a consumer to know exactly what to ask for in the salon!! x

Well in my opinion, ash highlights with highlift are near enough impossible unless you start off a very light blonde naturally...it also may be that your hairdresser is using the wrong type of ash, but i cant make assumptions as i don't know for sure...have a chat with your hairdresser, they will know what they used and they will know how to correct it with the products they use...the only way to lift the warmth out of the highlights would be to use bleach, as highlift wont lift highlift...give them a ring and book in for a consultation with the stylist that did your hair and i'm sure they will be happy to rectify it for you

Thanks! That's really useful! x

Latest posts

Back