Log cabin-yet another thread but

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshineinme

Reaction score
Dear Geeks

I went through probably all the threads and surfed the length and width of the Internet just to get even more confused about the log cabin business.

And therefore can I please ask you to help me and:

1. Post the links to your log cabins( websites you got them from) with some comments on what's good/not o good about them
2. Advise on heating the log cabin
3. Do they cone with secure door? The ones I saw didn't :( or can a better lock be fit in?
4. When/how did you decorate your log cabin inside? I was old yesterday that because the cabin is made of wood it expands and shrinks etc and no decorating as such can be one! Walls have to remain untouched (no platerboards etc) And I saw one here some lovely pictures of wallpapers in your cabins.

Pleaseeeee help! I need as any moments ad opinions as poss.

My husband isn't a handyman and we have no one to help r advise us xxxx

I am having a summerhouse built at the moment so no photos to show you yet. You can have plasterboard internally so you can put wall paper up (however I won't be doing this, I'm having the same wood that will be outside, inside so it actually feels like a log cabin and not a normal room). I am having French doors fitted that had a lock - just like your house would have. Never heard of it expanding - its waterproofed so can't imagine that happens much - if at all

X

Thank you Karen!

Did you get yours of the Internet? X anyone else? :) please x

hey i cant help you with where i got my cabin as it came with the house i bought.. unfortunately there was a lot of work to b done to it. i've got cement floors as i wanted to stop the chances of a rotting floor...not a good look if you fall throught the floor when theres a client there lol... i insulated it with polystering (prob not spelt right) and then wood panneling over the top. this will keep your cabin warm at winter and cooler in summer. i also have a air vent put in to aid circulation and painted the walls..i;m looking to wallpaper one wall at the moment as they get so dirty with clients..i would suggest a good joiner for the work on the walls and ask around in decorating shops for ideas too..also i know home base do a good range of inside and outside wood paints

I have a cabin in my garden, bought from Dunster House. I went for the bi fold doors, as mine also serves as an extra room for my Mum who lives with us, and also an office for me.

Mine has insulation, 80mls on the floor, walls and roof. It's double glazed with proper glass, and has a fully locking door.

I have it cladded with the natural wood on the inside, and yes, it does expand and contract, but they allow for this with what they call tension bars fitted to the outside.

Heating wise, I have an oiled filled radiator that I keep in there all the time, and just vary the setting accordingly.

It's very cosy, I just love it, and when we have visitors they always ask if they can sleep in there.

Base wise, if your ground is relatively level, you can have whats called a rapid fit base, I have this, also means that if you want, you can take it all away when you move. I also wanted it off the floor to allow a little air to circulate, and also be able to get to electrical wiring if needed. however, my chickens do love to go and hide under there.

Check out their website, do a search for "dunsterhouselogcabins". hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi there I'm also looking into building a small cabin in my garden but am getting totally confused!Ive only got a small garden and we're in army accomodation..but ive already got permission from the landlord & found the cabin I want, but im getting baffled with what sort of base i need and how much money I need to set aside for electricity. Im going to get a free standing radiator to keep it warm but does anyone have any tips/advice?The cabin is 9ft by 10ft so not big by any means but this is the first time im setting up on my own and would love some advice from anyone whose done it before!:)

Thank you Karen!

Did you get yours of the Internet? X anyone else? :) please x

My friends husband is a joiner and electrician so I'm just buying all of the materials and paying him a set fee for building it. Mines on a wooden raft thing (very technical eh?!) and not a concrete base - the reason being is I can't have it as a permanent structure so this is fine for me.

It's very difficult to know what you're buying when you have no idea about DIY but if you visit your local DIY centre they normally have a team of people "in the know" to help.

There's also plenty of websites that deliver across the country and install (most are mentioned on other summer house threads)

The biggest plus side for me was that I could choose the size to fit the garden and completely design is down to how many windows, I have two small internal rooms (one for spray tans - one for storage) etc so thats why I went with the custom build

x

Thank you ladies for your contributions :) yes- it's super confusing haha! And my DIY skills and knowledge are next to nothing :)

I wish we had one friends in the area, but no luck here.

I am looking at Avon 500 at dunster houses :) reason being the entrance from the "shorter" side/wall not the usual "front" is better for me and that's the only model I found with this option.

I would not be able to afford fully insulated walls- only roof and floor. Maybe with a concrete base?

I've done some phone calls today and meeting a builder tomorrow...such fun..no

I am glad it's easy to heat with a heater. I already had dramatics thoughts about everything getting completely froze in winter x

Keep the good advice coming x

Latest posts

Back