L'Oreal animal cruelty

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentahair

Reaction score
L’Oreal’s Cruel Animal Testing Practices

leave a comment »

In the name of vanity, animals are subjected to painful and cruel ingredient testing by L’Oreal. The L’Oreal company does not want to share the fact that thousands of animals are needlessly tortured each and every day in the name of vanity and profit. The L’Oreal company is among the world’s largest beauty companies, but is the worldwide leader in animal cruelty.

Although many of the animals testes by L’Oreal are rabbits, dogs, and cats; they are very much an equal opportunity torturer. L’Oreal seems to have a special preference for rabbits because they are the only animal who can not flush chemicals out of their eyes without using aids like water or their paws. However, dogs and cats that are used often tortured by L’Oreal research as they are taken out of animal shelters. These animals would otherwise be euthanized. Their number comes to approximately 1.1% of dogs and cats euthanized in shelters. It is estimated that in 2010 alone, almost 2.5 million animals were tested in France.

L’Oreal regularly conducts disgraceful eye irritation tests by securing rabbits so they are immobile while substances are dropped into their eyes (rabbits are used because they have no tear ducts and therefore can’t relieve the stinging and pain). Poisoning takes place whereby groups of animals are continually force-fed an ingredient until half of the group dies. Other animals have their skin shaved and scraped until it’s super-sensitive, then the particular chemical is applied to test skin while L’Real researchers make sure that the animal cannot scratch or remove the substance.

It is hard to imagine the pain suffered by these beings. But we all know how sore it can be when we get something in our eye or our skin is scraped – at least we can immediately do something to relieve the pain. Think of what it would be like, if we were unable to touch or stop the pain, not just for a minute or two, but for hours running into days.

It’s simply disgraceful! And I have only briefly mentioned a couple tests – there are a further six animal tests commonly used by L’Oreal.

Thankfully, some countries, such as the United Kingdom, have banned cometic ingredients testing, so L’Oréal had to go elsewhere, such as Japan or the U.S. where animal testing is allowed. However, the sale of products developed via animal testing is NOT banned. So, despite overwhelming public disapproval, L’Oréal continues new product developments via animal testing.

L’Oréal is pretty much the single biggest obstacle to ending cosmetic testing on animals within the United States and the European Union.

Although L’Oreal has vowed to eliminate animal testing by 2013, they seem to simply be undergoing a corporate restructuring so as to contract out their animal testing to subsidiary or contract companies that they control.

Only you can stop L’Oreal from exercising these unnecessary and cruel animal testing practices by:

1.Stop buying their products, especially from L’Oreal Professional.

2.Sign the Petition to Stop L’Oreal Professional’s Cruel Exccessive Animal Testing.

3.Send this post to every salon professional you know and urge them to take the above two actions.

4.Only purchase hair color, cosmetics, or other salon products that are certified as cruelty-free by PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals).

Written by salonhaircolor

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I struggle with this.As an animal lover, it is hard to read.

However, every chemical in your food, every medicine you take, every cosmetic INGREDIANT used by ALL COMPANIES has been tested this way.

Even companies who claim they don't test on animals rely on previous test data to get their products passed by the EU as safe.

Sad and horrific, but already a fact of our modern world and health and safety.

I know all that Dawn, just hate it being an animal lover too and having Beagles and being a member of Beagle welfare, they use Beagles in labs, I cant stand it! x

Oh my goodness this has just made me feel ill! I am using a L'Oreal foundation at the minute but I will not be buying anything from them ever again!!! Unfortunately the society we live in only seems to care about the finished product when it comes to cosmetics, toiletries and medicines, I'm sure if we had all of the facts we would be re thinking our products of choice!
x

i'm going to get absolutely 'flamed' i know i am but i'm going to say it anyway. i don't care how the medicine, products or whatever else i use/my family uses comes about so long as the end result is safe and does what it's intended to do for me and my family. that's all i'm interested in. if that includes testing on animals then so be it.

the article above is all one sided, it's written to convince us to bycott certain companies... that's what peta and the like do. they aren't going to balance it out, of course they aren't and regardless of what you think is right or not there is alwaystwo sides to every story.
x

I am an animal lover too and it is gruesome to hear that information - we all know it happens and we all work in industries where it has been carried out for years.

I can accept data from the past being used, its done lets get the benefit of it.
But now there are alternatives to animal testing. I believe we must 'encourage' companies to use and invest in cruelty free options, and some companies are heading in that direction - big global companies will fight it but as consumers we have power too - I will not shop in Tesco, not because Sainsbury are better but I do think Tesco are the worst that is my very small but direct action.

My feelings on animal testing relate to the beauty industry, where animals are tested for our pleasure, however when it comes to medical research I have very mixed feelings...its a head vs heart issue...if i thought it would save someone I love...

i'm with Dawn and MissConfused on this..

Yes its hard to read and hard to accept but if it wasnt for this way of testing products such as medicines etc then the whole world would be a lot worse off.

I'd rather they developed a medicine thats going to prolong the life of one of my family members life when they become ill... and if they have to use animals to test out these medicines etc on then thats just something that we all have to live with...

Latest posts

Back