L'Oreal Studio Blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have to up your developer like with freelights?
I've only ever really used 40vol to get the added light. You get more lift with free lights I've found but the consistency and softness from the studio has won me over.

I've only ever really used 40vol to get the added light. You get more lift with free lights I've found but the consistency and softness from the studio has won me over.
I've used freelights a few times and each time I've been disappointed with the lift

I've used freelights a few times and each time I've been disappointed with the lift

Have you incubated it? What developer did you use?

If you was disappointed with the lift avoid studio, freelights doesn't dry as much as the studio but leaving it to air develop is the best way. Wrapping into foils voids the reason for using a clay based lightner, you might as well use a normal one with lower developer.

Last edited:
Have you incubated it? What developer did you use?
I left it open air and used 20vol first time on coloured hair pretty much no lift then on a base 8 Virgin hair subtle lift.

If you was disappointed with the lift avoid studio, freelights doesn't dry as much as the studio but leaving it to air develop is the best way. Wrapping into foils voids the reason for using a clay based lightner, you might as well use a normal one with lower developer.
I've already bought it [emoji53] I'll have a play about with it on a mannequin first.

I left it open air and used 20vol first time on coloured hair pretty much no lift then on a base 8 Virgin hair subtle lift.

Ahhh i always use 40 or 30vol with freelights!

I hope they haven't changed the platinium formula because i love it!

Please do, keep us posted!!
So I used it today and I really liked the consistency, I was a little worried about lift as it's been compared to freelights and I was adding olaplex into the mix. I used it with 30vol and I was really happy with the lift.

Haven't written on here in ages but I just have to tell you all how awful these new lighteners are! Myself and a work colleague used the multi techniques powder last week (we both have scalp bleaches) and our hair is destroyed.. Literally snapping off from the root!
They were used with 20vol and processed for 45mins..

Just thought I'd warn you all!
Maybe you should try olaplex with that. Just a thought [emoji53]

So I used it today and I really liked the consistency, I was a little worried about lift as it's been compared to freelights and I was adding olaplex into the mix. I used it with 30vol and I was really happy with the lift.

Did you use cotton wool and plastic wrap to cover or did you just let it air dry/develop?

Did you use cotton wool and plastic wrap to cover or did you just let it air dry/develop?
I used wrap but didn't use cotton wool. I used it again today without olaplex and 20vol and was really happy with the lift again.

I used wrap but didn't use cotton wool. I used it again today without olaplex and 20vol and was really happy with the lift again.

I have bought the freehand and multi tech. Will do both against platine on a mannequin and see what the comparison is.

I have used all three side by side this morning all with 9% on a mannequin, placed on a foil with cling film over top (same development time). These are my findings.

Freehand powder (pic 2) - like the consistency and easy to mix, very smooth (not as gritty) compared to Platine. Very golden in colour and did not lift as much as the other two, took a while to shift. This is definitely not Platine in new packaging. I think this will be lovely for soft freehand techniques.

Multi tech (pic 3, breakage pic 4) - didn't like how this one swelled so much more than the others and this had a LOT of breakage. Did have a slightly cooler tone compared to platine.

Platine (pic 5) hardly any breakage compared to multi tech and doesn't swell as much. So sad this has been discontinued. Will have to find an alternative :-(

Attachments

• IMG_8338.JPG
    IMG_8338.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Freehand Powder.JPG
    Freehand Powder.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Multi Tech.JPG
    Multi Tech.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Multi Tech breakage.JPG
    Multi Tech breakage.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Platine.JPG
    Platine.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 46
The multi tech is supposed to be the same and platine? My rep said its the same just in different packaging?!

The multi tech is supposed to be the same and platine? My rep said its the same just in different packaging?!

Don't know on the multi tech as I never used it regularly enough. But I won't be using that again. The Freelights are definitely not platine repackaged.

I recently purchased the multi tech powder, I did balayage with it, I used 20vol, was cautious because I'm new to balayage and bit slow at it and I got a lovely lift and no breakage, messaged her this morning to see how her hair felt and she said lovely and soft. I was a bit alarmed by how quickly it swells after being mixed up in the bowl and also feel worried after reading some of the negative things about it on this thread especially the breakage x

Update - I was told today by L'Oreal Tech at Hammersmith to drop the oxidant down one for multi tech (than you would usually use with platine).

And for Freelights bump your oxidant up one more level than usual.

Latest posts

Back