Lower Age Limit for Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeToYouNails

Reaction score
Can I have some help and advice please?

A previous client has booked an appointment for her, her daughter and her daughter for next week.
I have just found out the Granddaughter is only 12/13 years old!

1 - Should I Shellac a 12/13 year old?
2 - If yes, apart from a signed disclaimer (client form) from her Mother what else should I do?
3 - What is everyone's Policy or Lower Age Limit for Shellac?
4 - If I have to cancel, how do I do this without upsetting my other 2 clients?

I am worried about doing this, in case I get an influx of 'Tweens' as most of them I know are pickers and don't really look after their nails which could lead to damage and then me getting a bad reputation.

I set my age limit for L&P and Brisa at 18 and I feel comfortable with that.

Suggestions!!!

My 3yo has had shellac rockstar toes for over 2 weeks not a problem.

I cant see the problem, its a hybrid polish:):) just emphasise aftercare and tell them shellac is not indestructable, its not gel or acrylic and they still need to look after their nails,,,jewels not tools. xx

You need to check your insurance before you do any treatments on under 18's.:hug:

yes you need to check your insurance 1st but so long as u have parents concent you can do a child of any age! ive minxed childen as young as 4! but with shellac i dont really see an issue, at 12/13 she'll be old enough to understand and will prob want it doing again which is good return client for you!

i think doing shellac is much better than doing l and p on tweens its relatively safe and it does minimal damage if its picked off. my salon makes a ton off doing children services. we even have a mini pedi chair. make sure you go over the after care of the service but by all means consider children services because you can make tons of money and tap into a new clientele base by doing "mommy and me" promotions. *edit : also you can stop young nail biters in their tracks and teach young ones to properly care for their nails

Now what about an upper age and ability limit for Shellac? I share a salon with 2 hairdressers in Canada where we do a mix of our own regular clients that we have been doing for years as well as assisted living seniors. It is a high end assisted living senior home where most are fine but some as in and out of the hospital or a tiny bit senile. Even the ones that are in good shape I worry about if they could put their hands in the lamp without bashing them or handling the soaking off. They are on average 80 years old and up.

They ask me about it all the time but I have only let one of them get it put on as I worry it may be a problem with the seniors. It would be like having an age limit on gel nails and other artificial types as I assume most techs do. I don't want to say why I am not offering it to them as in "you are too old or in poor mental or physical health". They of course feel they are fine but after having worked there for five years I know them well :).

I only do natural nails and esthetics. So does anyone have thoughts on this?

S.

I think that by putting down age limits unless required by your insurance of course , that you are limiting your client base. if you dont do it then someone down the street will: exceptions of course are the maturity level of a child or tween to care for a product or an elderly persons ability to to maintain their service. we have 11 year olds that do their eyebrows and wear acrylic and get pedis but then we have 13 year olds that bite off natural polish. i recommend a case by case basis: go with you gut and if you think they are mature enough or capable of caring for a service then go for it. but if you choose to deny a service then stick to your guns but explain why the service is not appropriate and recommend something else so you dont have a mad client going out your door

All Thumbs, I think a case by case basis is the best idea. If I explain the procedure involved including removal as well as home care and how often it needs to be redone or proper removal etc then it is up to them if I feel they can handle it. So I will try this.

Thanks, S.

Brilliant! Thanks for all your comments, they were really helpful.

As for "UPPER AGE LIMIT" my oldest Shellac lady is 85 and loves it!

There are many, many places in my area that age is not an issue however, neither is product, application or removal.
If you charge £20 and take 45 minutes to apply a full set of enhancements with dubious odors that gave me a headache after being in there for 5 minutes, people are welcome to take children of any age there but I for one would not recommend it.

Again, thanks for you help Geeks.

Latest posts

Back