Lupus

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drum

Reaction score
hi, have a client wanting a massage and she tells me she has lupus. i don't know much about it and wondered if doing a massage is ok or could it set off an attack. please help, really stuck on this one. thanks.

Would lupus be a contra-incication to stop you from doing any other beauty treatments e.g. waxing, spray tanning, facials etc.

Cant recall this illness being mentioned on any of my training but isnt the skin affected by Lupus?

I have a client that has lupus but like babsann said it never came up as a contraindication on my training.
My client has regular skincare treatments,and yes the skin can be affected but i was told that someone with Lupus shouldnt have botox:eek:

I have a client that has lupus but like babsann said it never came up as a contraindication on my training.
My client has regular skincare treatments,and yes the skin can be affected but i was told that someone with Lupus shouldnt have botox:eek:

Sorry has Babsann done a thread on this before? Have you got a link?

Lupus sufferes cant have laser or ipl because it is a light. Light or sunlight triggers this condition. The symtoms can be quite horrific like hair loss and arthritis type aches and severe fatigue. Not a pleasant condition.

There are quite a few different types of lupus, so depending on which strain your client has who depend on what treatments you can give, Lupus sufferers are advised to stay out of sunlight as this can trigger off an attack,many sufferers have a very distinguishing rash on there face which looks like a butterfly mask, this is why the butterfly is used as their charity logo.

the other main symptoms are extreme fatigue and severe joint pain, but not all people with this condition suffer with all symptoms all of the time, one day they can be quite well and the next not so,

I think a doctors note would be the best thing in this case, as it would also depend on what type of massage you were going to do.

There are quite a few different types of lupus, so depending on which strain your client has who depend on what treatments you can give, Lupus sufferers are advised to stay out of sunlight as this can trigger off an attack,many sufferers have a very distinguishing rash on there face which looks like a butterfly mask, this is why the butterfly is used as their charity logo.

the other main symptoms are extreme fatigue and severe joint pain, but not all people with this condition suffer with all symptoms all of the time, one day they can be quite well and the next not so,

I think a doctors note would be the best thing in this case, as it would also depend on what type of massage you were going to do.

Thanks Clara

Would you do any other treatments on clients with this or again insist on a doctors note.

no i don't think a doctors note is needed for most treatments, but as I said lupus is a funny and cruel condition it affects everyone differently.
my sis in law has lupus and goes for regular waxes/facial and numerous beauty treatments, she does have regular beauty massage as it helps with her joint pain and more importantly it helps her relax, her therapist knows of her condition.

I'd just hate to give anyone the wrong advice and am always over cautious !!

o0h and her nails always stay on !!!

Latest posts

Back