MAC make-up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
I've been using smashbox as I needed something with more coverage than MAC face and body but not as thick as studio fix I can't remember which one of smashbox it was but I've been really impressed :)

I ran out of Airbase primer and bought the Smashbox one, it's fab. I'm going to look more at the whole range when I need to purchase more.

I've used a couple of smash box products in the past, loved the primer! Will go in and look at that tomorrow. Also heard good about the urban decay one!

Thanks!

There's only 2 products I truly love from mac that I haven't found a replacement I like more yet and that's face and body and pro longwear concealer. Still not sure what I'll do when my supplies of p.l concealer run out as I don't buy mac anymore. I keep searching for a concealer that covers as well and doesn't crease!

That's just my personal stash anyway though. I've removed all mac products from my pro kit.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am a professional therapist and artist and your comment is not necessary and offensive.
Why would anyone on here care if it offend you that we use Mac? I sorry who died made you god?
No one

So keep your personal opinions to yourself if you can't offer any NICE or helpful advise. Go rant on Facebook!

Beauty at your finger tips!

Bloody hell calm down!!! im just stating the obvious, clearly you aren't very knowledgable on makeup or the industry. stick to doing nails :)

I've heard great reviews for illamasque skin/hydra veil for brides. That's what I'm going for too.
There are so many makeup brands out there, you have to be versatile & keep trying new things. Take a look at lit cosmetics & star crushed minerals great pigments & cheap!

Bloody hell calm down!!! im just stating the obvious, clearly you aren't very knowledgable on makeup or the industry. stick to doing nails :)

Again ur comment is in appropriate.
Stick to nails? Seriously ?!

Where or who did you qualify with?
You said one posts ages ago I remember that you self taught.
And now your making smart comments to me about sticking to nails.
I studied for 3 years to be as qualified as I am and hold international make up qualifications! I done adverts ramp work and mostly specialize in bridal. I use smashbox benefit and bcoz this post was about Mac I offer advice.
Myself I havnt experienced bad or poor quality products from Mac myself yet. This could be due to having huge kit that havnt gotten any new pigments as Noreen mentioned with Estée Lauder group. I hope it doesn't change quality.
I recently started using Inglot.

So yes thank you for your advise glambabe.

Last edited:
Its really annoying when people who want to train with makeup or set up a makeup business think everything has to be MAC... do your research girl! MAC isnt 'all that' my kit has tonnes of brands

I've done a few of the MAC masterclasses so I end up getting more familiar with MAC whereas its hard to know where to start with other products and don't want to break the bank trying everything on myself first.

What do you use in your kit as I'd love a few tips and could start with those?

Again ur comment is in appropriate.
Stick to nails? Seriously ?!

Where or who did you qualify with?
You said one posts ages ago I remember that you self taught.
And now your making smart comments to me about sticking to nails.
I studied for 3 years to be as qualified as I am and hold international make up qualifications! I done adverts ramp work and mostly specialize in bridal. I use smashbox benefit and bcoz this post was about Mac I offer advice.
Myself I havnt experienced bad or poor quality products from Mac myself yet. This could be due to having huge kit that havnt gotten any new pigments as Noreen mentioned with Estée Lauder group. I hope it doesn't change quality.
I recently started using Inglot.

So yes thank you for your advise glambabe.

you got all defensive when I stated my honest opinion which was basically telling you that a professional makeup kit shouldnt be just 'MAC' ...

why does it matter to you if im self taught? if anything, self taught are some of the best artists out there. Ive always been crafty and into art since i was really young and Im very successful at what i do, Ive done 12 weddings up to now this year and have another 8 booked up plus bookings for weddings next year and 2016 so i cant be doing that bad for 'self taught' thank you very much

and good for you that use use benefit and smashsbox.. smashbox is a fab brand but i hate every single benefit product as i find the quality worse than stuff you can buy in boots/superdrug.. again thats just my personal opinion.. if you dont like peoples opinions then dont write on this forum. I wasnt even being rude in my first comment :)

Hey just jumping in this thread as I haven't seen any posts mentioning MUD cosmetics (make-up designory). They're a cosmetics brand from the MUD schools in New York and LA. They look awesome and I've seen good reviews but has anyone on here used their products?

I guess the best make is the make up that works for you and your clients 😉xx

Hey just jumping in this thread as I haven't seen any posts mentioning MUD cosmetics (make-up designory). They're a cosmetics brand from the MUD schools in New York and LA. They look awesome and I've seen good reviews but has anyone on here used their products?

Yes they are awesome! i tried out a few at imats this weekend and purchased a few! he he he.... :p The product in my opinion is quite heavenly, it glides on like a dream and conceals sooo well, it is soft to touch, a tiny bit....goes a incredibly long way. I think PAM are official stockists. I was sold on this brand when it covered my red nose from hayfever and it looked so natural. xoxo

you got all defensive when I stated my honest opinion which was basically telling you that a professional makeup kit shouldnt be just 'MAC' ...

why does it matter to you if im self taught? if anything, self taught are some of the best artists out there. Ive always been crafty and into art since i was really young and Im very successful at what i do, Ive done 12 weddings up to now this year and have another 8 booked up plus bookings for weddings next year and 2016 so i cant be doing that bad for 'self taught' thank you very much

and good for you that use use benefit and smashsbox.. smashbox is a fab brand but i hate every single benefit product as i find the quality worse than stuff you can buy in boots/superdrug.. again thats just my personal opinion.. if you dont like peoples opinions then dont write on this forum. I wasnt even being rude in my first comment :)

U just contradicted yourself glambabe!
Your last paragraph . Saying if you don't like people opinion keep quiet .,,, which is exactly what my first reply to your post was about.
I never once said your kit was rubbish but you judging or commenting on mine,

Any you probably so defensive about Mac because : Mac only lists or allows artists with actual QUALIFICATIONS to join the pro membership! I don't think utube counts.

Good luck with your career and all your weddings.

Ok guys how about you take it to pm if you wanna carry on sniping at each other. This is not helpful to the O.P or anyone else.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

^^^ agree 100%

This is not helping the thread at all.

It does not matter where you learnt how to do make up, this is a site to share knowledge and HELP each other :)

For the record Mac will absolutely allow self taught make up artists to join their pro program as long as they can prove they are a working artist ie tear sheet , call sheet etc.

Now can we all play nice?

Can I ask as a consumer - I've always used studio fix but feel it's a bit Cakey.

Could someone give me some advice on what I can use otherwise? I do like mac but am open to a change x

Kim , don't take this the wrong way , but in my opinion there is no such thing as a cakey foundation , just an incorrectly applied one. It is quiet full coverage so if you apply too much then it will if corse cake up. I apply this foundation with a paddle brush and buff into the skin with a duo fibre , I find using 2 brushes gives the best finish and you can control how much product you using :) this technique will not work for dry skin however so be careful with what skin type your working with :)

Thank you, I appreciate your advice. I have what I think is the duo fiber (had black bristles with longer white ones?) from mac, I was advised to use this to apply and it has been better. I find the girls in the shops are generally pretty poor in the advice they give. I regularly leave with the wrong colour foundation and concealer, first colour match I had was a nc37, then I got a nw25, I've also had 15 which is too pale so I guessed I was a nc20 which is the best match. Went in and told the girl I use nc20 and could she give me a concealer? I went home with 25 which is like orange on me.

I wouldn't stick to one brand because there are so many other fantastic brands that offer other great coverages and benefits than just mac. Mac offer a huge range but you are well and truly limiting yourself by choosing just one brand. To be honest I use some mac foundations but I much rather prefer their lippies and eyeshadow.

My main foundations include MakeUp Forever, Nars and Kryolan (I absolutely love Kryolan foundation pallets! Very affordable too)... I'm now getting hooked on Charlotte Tilbury's new makeup brand. She's very pricey though but her "magic cream" is TO DIE FOR! I recommend it to everyone however it's ridiculously priced! Also loving SpaceNK. The fix sprays from urban decay are awesome too and hands down the best face primer I've ever used is the by Smashbox...

I could go on forever, I highly recommend you don't fixate on one brand because MAC doesn't suit everyone's skin. I find that their studio fix and match master tends to almost look like it's "cracking" or separating on some skins even when the skin is well prepped/primed after an hour or so of wear. After several years of being a makeup artist I have found soooo many clients don't favour mac. I've also found that exploring other brands has helped me develop professional and know more widely about what is suited to certain skin types and skin tones and which brands offer something very unique which MAC just cannot come close to... for example Charlotte Tilbury's magic cream and wonder glow!

Get exploring, don't limit yourself!

x HelloSORRISO x

^^^ agree 100%

This is not helping the thread at all.

It does not matter where you learnt how to do make up, this is a site to share knowledge and HELP each other :)

For the record Mac will absolutely allow self taught make up artists to join their pro program as long as they can prove they are a working artist ie tear sheet , call sheet etc.

Now can we all play nice?

By the way, I totally agree with everything you've said in this topic!y thoughts exactly on MAC. I've began to lessen my involvement with the brand due to the reasons in your first post and for the fact that as I've progressed in my career and explored other brands, far more brands both highend and even high street serve the purpose of my clients better than just MAC.

x HelloSORRISO x

Thank you, I appreciate your advice. I have what I think is the duo fiber (had black bristles with longer white ones?) from mac, I was advised to use this to apply and it has been better. I find the girls in the shops are generally pretty poor in the advice they give. I regularly leave with the wrong colour foundation and concealer, first colour match I had was a nc37, then I got a nw25, I've also had 15 which is too pale so I guessed I was a nc20 which is the best match. Went in and told the girl I use nc20 and could she give me a concealer? I went home with 25 which is like orange on me.

MAC are generally well known for giving excellent training to their makeup girls but the problem is that the lighting in a department store is awful. I always used to leave with the wrong colour too and they'd give me an NW when I'm an NC (probably because I was boiling hot from the store and looking a bit red, haha).

The best thing to do is to put a couple of colours on your face and a bit on your neck / chest as that's what you want to match to and then go outside and look in daylight. Walk around with it for a bit and then see how it wears / oxidises / how it looks etc. Then go back. Some Makeup isn't cheap and you want to make sure that you have the right colour before laying out your cash for it!

U just contradicted yourself glambabe!
Your last paragraph . Saying if you don't like people opinion keep quiet .,,, which is exactly what my first reply to your post was about.
I never once said your kit was rubbish but you judging or commenting on mine,

Any you probably so defensive about Mac because : Mac only lists or allows artists with actual QUALIFICATIONS to join the pro membership! I don't think utube counts.

Good luck with your career and all your weddings.

thats funny... i was simply HELPING you by stating you shouldnt just use one brand I never 'judged' your kit. and I do have a mac pro card thank you very much for your concern... good luck with your career.

Latest posts

Back