Magnifying glass/desk lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady_of_Pain

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a magnifying glass/desk lamp? It seems like they would work real good, but I thought I would ask here before I went out and bought one. What do you think?

My personal opinion is that I find them restricting to work under and prefer to wear magnifying glasses which also act as safety glasses for me.

geeg said:
My personal opinion is that I find them restricting to work under and prefer to wear magnifying glasses which also act as safety glasses for me.

That's a great idea Gigi - any pointers where to get some good magnifying glasses?

For normal reading I buy the 2.5 off the peg reading glasses for about £5. You see them everywhere. However when I am doing nails I find that the 3.5 or evern 4.0 are brill. When you have them on and are looking directly at the nails then the magnification is really good. But be warned when you look up in them your client may be a bit blurred. I have some really small lense ones that I find I can look down at the nails ok and then by just raising my eyes a bit I can look over the top of them to see the client. sounds complicated but you soon get used to it.

Try some out, there are cheap enough. Even seen some for £1 in the pound shop.

So these are basically reading glasses that you can get almost everywhere? And these glasses are not hard on your eyes?

Just like Val I use off the peg magnifying glasses. Some people do use them for reading i guess but me no, just for nails. I do not find them hard at all on my eyes. All they do is magnify and bring your work into larger focus.

Yep I got them too. Got mine from our local book store...............
I also have a clamp on magnifying lense lol......... Hubby found that for me...........makes things really big, but I must say, I do prefere the glasses...........

Hi ladies.

Recently I bought a... watzit called..... oh yeah, a Daylight Lamp which is the professional magnifier lamps to be used for beauty. Well chuffed I was when i took it home as it was a treat to myself and cost me £50. Well I used it twice!!! It just got in my way!!! It clamps on the side of the table which was fair enough but I always clunked my brush off it and could never quite get it to sit at the position I wanted. So I took it back to the shop and bought an adjustable halogen lamp from Argos in the Sale for £3.50 and it does the trick just dandy.

I'm not quite at the stage yet for glasses but great idea about using them for magnifying (street cred out the window!) If they help achieve a great job then major thumbs up from me.

Just thought I'd share and basically it was to say don't fork out a fortune coz it's really not worth it....... in my opinion.

Sherry.x

Ive started to have real problems with my eyes when doing nails unless the lighting is perfect.
I recently saw some off the peg magnifying glasses in a local store and thought 'Wow! for 3 quid' Ill get those'
I didnt buy them in the end though since discussing it with Marco B.
He said he didnt think it was such a good idea for someone like me (I have an Astigmatism in one eye) because if the weakness/prob is in just one eye you could cause more harm than good in the long term.
I suppose this makes sense, so I think its probably worth making sure you dont have any real probs before you you go this route ... otherwise I think its a great idea!

Cool, thanks a lot for all your help, I am going out to buy some glasses ASAP!

Latest posts

Back