mags!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

helenlovesnails

Reaction score
hiya
just wanted to know what everyone thinks about the two nail tech mags, 'scratch' and 'professional nails' which one does every1 think is better?

I'm not sure I could put one above another - they're both great :biggrin:

I have always brought professional nails BUT since pinching a copy of Scratch from a friend i have subscribed for 12 months

Vicky

Perfect Pinkies

Both great mags. Pro nails is going back into Pro beauty and will be called "polished". Scratch is really up and coming now, see if they will send you a sample mag to help you choose.

If you pm Alex Fox on this site or call 01763 262874 they will send you a copy of scratch.
I subscribed at Olympia and i love it!

If I had to choose only one (1)

it would have to be Scratch

and I have to say that would have been my choice if all 3 magazines were still available.

sawasdee ka

the england nail magazines have too many page for company advertise products they should give more pages for teach .

when you look a product 1 month why do u want to look the same product every month .

I think the magazines in your country are not very good .

Mui from Thailand

mui said:
sawasdee ka

the england nail magazines have too many page for company advertise products they should give more pages for teach .

when you look a product 1 month why do u want to look the same product every month .

I think the magazines in your country are not very good .

Mui from Thailand

I do agree that nail technicians want constant 'feeding' with new and exciting information and I think that is why Nails magazine got a bit stale for me. I find Scratch more exciting. I think it is a good magazine and getting better all the time.

Magazines can only operate from the money paid by the advertisers and subscribers so naturaly many suppliers who do not have the funds to produce new adverts will run the same ones time and again. I too find this very boring but adverts cost a lot of money to produce to only use once.

I think the nail technicians in the UK enjoy their magazines very much and look forward to receiving them and I think they are as good as any of the American mags I have subscribed to for many years if not better.

If everyone were like you are Mui, the companies couldn't keep up with the amount of NEW and exciting information you crave!! :green: It is wonderful to have that kind of enthusiasm ... long may it last. Hope things are going well and thanks for the tutorials.

I do agree that nail technicians want constant 'feeding' with new and exciting information and I think that is why Nails magazine got a bit stale for me. I find Scratch more exciting. I think it is a good magazine and getting better all the time.

Yep have to agree with Geeg on this one.
It as to be Scratch

sawasdee ka

yes scratch is ok if they put another 10 pages 20 sides and use the 10 pages for showing new tecnique and education tutorials tips sculpting nail art quilting tolepainting it will be a better magazine then it is now for sure .

If i buy a magazine for hair i want it to teach me something not just look at companys photos of shampoo they want to sell :D .

Mui from Thailand

Lorraine1964 said:
If you pm Alex Fox on this site or call 01763 262874 they will send you a copy of scratch.
I subscribed at Olympia and i love it!
I ran teh above number and have been told they ahve moved and you need to ring 01763 263113

Oh and Hello everyone! <wave>

i have to say that i love my scratch mag,i cant wait for the beggining of every month for it to arrive ,i think it is slightly more modern than the others, love dee

sawasdee ka

scratch magazine jan 2004

Front cover
page whole page advertise ibd
page editorial
page who work at scratch
page contents
page whole page opi advetise
page more advertise
page legends and natural nail whole page advetise
page companys whole page advertise
page whole page advertise
page news views but are advertise
page line out advertise
page some thing to read with phone numbers advertise
page two pages of advertise extreme
page 3 pages of horoscope i do not beleive
next page whole page seche advertise
next page boyzone profile geek
next page ibd whole page advertise
next page competing
next 2 page about a television show
next page more advertise ezflow
next page lcn and daylight advertise '
next 2 page products advertise
next 2 page beauty show advertise
next 2 page products more advertise
next 2 page more advertise cagel
Oh my buddah we have a nail photo 2 page
next page professional beauty advertise
next 2 page a profile on tech by gina wallace i am now on page 40 this is the first time i have something to read about nails :eek:
next page about a nail salon
next page tammy taylor advertise
next page advertise
next page nail tek and tiny tips advertise next two page photos of company .
next page more names about companys products .
next page tips and mail order advertise
next page about 500 words on a salon .
next page bio sculture advertise
next page another 500 words on a salon .
next page samll about dust by geek and smile gem advertise .
next 2 tammy tayler
next 2 a man play a guitar
next part 7 of something i have not seen part 6
next page home learn advertise
next page advertise
next 2 page more products advertise
next page buissness focus
next page advertise 3 comapanys next 2 page some photos that r no use
next page young nails advertise
next page valentines lips
next page something fopr read nothing about nail
next page 2 companys advertise
next page predictions please
next page advertise products
next page advertise free give away
next 2 page advertise products
next education school
next more education school next 2 nmore education schools .
back page advertise products .

From the whole magazine there is 4 pages to read and i as a young nail tech who wants to learn learn NOTHING .

I am not surprise nail magazine in your country go out of buissnss how can they keep customers they give nail tech nothing but advertise from products .

Sometimes can not speak soft nail magazines in europe are terrible .

Mui from Thailand

Mui,

do you have magazines in Thailand - if so how much do they cost per year in comparison to a full set of nails

It is very much a catch 22 situation when producing a magazine - they cost lots of money - either this has to be passed on to the subscribers - in which case they might not buy it - or it has to be supplemented by advertisers.

This site is a prime example - I think you and the rest of us would be horrified to know how much it costs Samuel to keep us supplied with this site - but the alternative is unthinkable - pop up ads everywhere.

To keep the cost down for the subscribers - the mags have to take advertising.

In the UK we have what we have and we are all more than happy with what we get for our money.

I would be interested in seeing a good quality, reasonably priced magazine that gives lots of great info BUT DOESNT HAVE ADS - cant see it myself - sorry Mui, but I think a lot of us quite like the ads - it helps us to find what we are looking for and keeps us up to date with whose still out there touting for our business.

sawasdee ka fiona

i am sorry but i do not agree with anything that u speak i will answer your post tomorrow .

I wish your post was from somebody else your post was terrible same the magazine .

Mui from Thailand .

mui said:
sawasdee ka fiona

i am sorry but i do not agree with anything that u speak i will answer your post tomorrow .

I wish your post was from somebody else your post was terrible same the magazine .

Mui from Thailand .

Mui .... please ... sometimes you have to accept that other people are allowed to have their own opinions (that does not make them terrible) and they may like something you do not.

Our businesses here in the UK are not dependent on nail art for the bulk of their revenue nor do I accept that your sister's small survey of UK salons represents in any meaningful way the majority of the businesses run by the professionals on this site.

I for one get sick of all the nail art in the magazines here in the UK as it is. Pretty to look at ... not what most of us DO.
Same for those ugly long totally square nails with the extreme smile line ... to me they just scream false false false and 9 out of 10 clients would not wear nails that look like that. YOur market may be different and you know more about that than we do. Our market has been established for more than 20 years ... the market in Thailand has not. Give us the right to express our own opinions without being called 'terrible' just because you do not agree with it.

Scratch magazine is not terrible to us. I'm sure they will do more when the demand is there. Most magazines contain step by step tutorials which we have all seen a hundred times ... I personally think most of the nails shown at the nd of the turotials are horrendous! WE are all entitled to our opinions and I think you should respect that. We are in no doubt as to what your opinion is ... you've had your say and no one has called you terrible even thogh most of us do not agree with your point of view.

I love all the mags , Scratch, Professional Nails and Nails Magazine - but there is only one thing I would love to change . It would be great if they could step the dates of when they come out. I normally get them all together (not this month though Ive only got my Scratch mag!!) thus making the month really really long until I get the next lot of news in the nail world, so it would be nice to get one at the beginning of the month, one 10 days later and then the next one another 10 days later.

Apart from that I love them all.

Heidi

I agree Heidi (well done on the new salon BTW) - I seem to think that the Prof Nails/Beauty used to come out in the middle of the month. Likewise, I have only received Scratch so far this month.

Without wishing to sound like a broken record...

SCRATCH!!!

I'm addicted, love the articles and must be a sado cos i love the adverts as well...

Once finished (if that's the right word!?!) reading the mag, i'm on the web looking up sites in the ads and have discovered products and web sites i may not have been exposed to.

So SCRATCH keep up the ace work but be warned if you carry on producing such great quality articles you may be cited in my divorce...

Taz
x

I love all our nail magazines........Call me a sucker lol.............
We here in the UK, don't use our Nail Magazines as sole source of training and step by step guides..................

We use Specially written Books for that.........Encyclopaedia of Nails, Nail artistry, The Complete Nail Technician and the like.............
Our market here in the UK and this is determined by the service our clients require, it is much tamer then the fab sometimes over the top nail art...........
Don't misunderstand me here, we all love nail art, we all admire the skills and the artistry these people achieve, but we also do normal nails......And that's how most of us earn our money, doing normal, less arty nails.......

I am sure a lot of Techs and new Techs alike would get bored too, if all we could look at, where tutorials on fantasy nail art and not features on trends, new products, new Technology and the like.......

When a new look or a new trend comes into the nail focus, then we have a step by step or a how to do it article in our Nail Magazines.................

Our Magazines reflect our European style..............Our Magazines are paid for by subscriptions and advertising fees...........
the subscription fee is only a tiny amount of the cost involved in producing and printing........ Most of the cost is covered by Advertisers................

So if you wanted a magazine that is advert free and only teaches you how to do nails, then these costs would have to be covered by someone...........the people that submit their nail tutorials and the people that subscribe to them....
And then it would be cheaper to buy a good Nail artistry book and get the tips and tricks from there.........
That's where our brilliant Jacqui Jefford, Anne Swain,Sue Marsh and Marian Newman come into the editorial and educational site of things................

We use our magazines for information, news, adverts which alert us of any new products, trends, chats from Nail Techs, Reader letters, Show event, Technician profiles and much more..........

UK Nails Magazines are printed for the UK Nail Technician in mind, and it is nice to see and read what goes on in the rest of the nail world, but you have to remember that you are reading a UK magazine and not a Japanese or Thai clients orientated Magazine........
So even though we are all Nail Technicians globally, it makes still a difference to where in the world your are, because what could be very important nail news to us, could be totally unimportant to you......It is a matter of opinion and may not reflect yours, but then hey that's life and we can't all agree on
the same things, this would make life pretty boring.........
Because different countries, different views, different news and different opinions..........

And just a thought, there are loads of adverts in Vogue, Hapers, Hello and other popular magazines read all over the world.............
So when you read our Magazines please remember they are for UK Technicians here in the UK, with UK needs and likes and dislikes...........
Just my thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back