mags!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
naturalnails said:
Mui,

do you have magazines in Thailand - if so how much do they cost per year in comparison to a full set of nails

It is very much a catch 22 situation when producing a magazine - they cost lots of money - either this has to be passed on to the subscribers - in which case they might not buy it - or it has to be supplemented by advertisers.

This site is a prime example - I think you and the rest of us would be horrified to know how much it costs Samuel to keep us supplied with this site - but the alternative is unthinkable - pop up ads everywhere.

To keep the cost down for the subscribers - the mags have to take advertising.

In the UK we have what we have and we are all more than happy with what we get for our money.

I would be interested in seeing a good quality, reasonably priced magazine that gives lots of great info BUT DOESNT HAVE ADS - cant see it myself - sorry Mui, but I think a lot of us quite like the ads - it helps us to find what we are looking for and keeps us up to date with whose still out there touting for our business.

Sawasdee ka

The reason i said fionas post was a terrible post i had posted that scratch is 76 pages of advertise 4 pages of tutorial and had NOTHING to teach a nail tek HER post ask have mags in Thai cost of making magazine geek web site cost sam money cost of sets of nails in Thailand all has NOTHING to do with what i posted about scratch magazine .

I would think a magazine that has 80 pages 65 pages of editorial and15 page of advertise better .

Fiona i feel free to answer all your quotes in your post first we do not have a monthly magazine in Thai we have a 3 month one it has 200 oage it cost 80 p uk money has no advertising i buy the beauty magazines IMAGE has 386 gloss pages cost 1.20 uk i buy lips 316 pages cost 1.10 uk both have some advertising but not too much .

Next you mention the geek website i do not know what that has to do with my post but sam puts this web site on because he wants to if you give me the money that goes to designer nails profit that comes from contact through this web site i wil pay the monthly fee.

Next cost of nails in Thailand has nothing to do with my post but my answer pink and white tips 22/26 sculpts 26/29 color acrylics with 3d 36/43 pounds and we buy 300 page plus magaziness for 1 pound .

You are happy to look at the advertise every month i am happy for you for me i have been offered the scractch magazines for free i did not want sombody to spend money with post they do nothing for me .

GEEG please post some photos of the natural looking nails i want to see them yes nail and 3 d is not everyones choice to look at but your magazine does not even have a few nice photos of pink and whites .

The one thing i now realise there is a club on this web site and like the stray dogs in Thailand you fight in packs in future if i have anything to say that is NOT agreeing with everybody i will not speak .

B4 i thought this was a open forum all i did you say your magazine is terrible it has no balance for editorial advertise and i still think that .

FOR the record i have talked with other young teks in the uk and they also speak the magazines have too much advertising and dont buy them anymore they will not speak on here because they are scared to I AM NOT .

mui from Thailand

sawasdee ka

Question for fiona how comes you are so against having company advertising on this website when you LIKE and subsribe to a magazine that is FULL of advertising and like looking at the same advertise month after month .

Question for sam why on your profile in scratch magazine jan 04 do you have at the end designer nails 01132755719 the profile was on you not samantha .

And can any body point me to the the page that has 1nice even pink and white nail photo that is not advertise a poster or any education that will help a nail tek in anyway other then the very SMALL artical about dust .

Sam How do i delete my membership from this website i can not find it .

Thank you mui

FOR GEEG

just looking through the results of the nail olyimpics i see wraps div 2 . gel div 1 and div 2 .air brush all 3 divisions div 1 div 2 div 3. acrylic overlay div 1 and div 2 mixed media div 2 and 3 .acrylic sculpt div 2 and div 3 were all WON by asian nail tech PROBABLY from japan .

i see that PROBABLY the best nail tech in japan was not in the results he was PROBABLY to busy teaching long square nails in japan to ladys that were going to go and win in the olyimpics next year .

Mui from Thailand

mui said:
FOR GEEG

just looking through the results of the nail olyimpics i see wraps div 2 . gel div 1 and div 2 .air brush all 3 divisions div 1 div 2 div 3. acrylic overlay div 1 and div 2 mixed media div 2 and 3 .acrylic sculpt div 2 and div 3 were all WON by asian nail tech PROBABLY from japan .

i see that PROBABLY the best nail tech in japan was not in the results he was PROBABLY to busy teaching long square nails in japan to ladys that were going to go and win in the olyimpics next year .

Mui from Thailand

I have always said that the nail technicains from Japan are some of the most gifted in the world, especialy at nail art ... ALWAYS said it.

Unfortunately
Long square Nails ALWAYS win the competitions because the criteria for winning forces the technicians to doTHAT kind of nail or they don't win. The entrants to a competition work to a set formula and that is the only thing the judges are looking for (which is a great shameIMO). I have taught dozens of winners how to win and of course I teach them this formula but it is not what I like nor does it reflect what we do in the salon OR what the customers in the UK want. What these nails show is that one has masterd the tecniques to be able to porduce them time after time after time.

I also can't believe that because a few of the members don't agree with your opinion you wish to cancel your membership. I didn't think you were that sort of person. We love your posts and your website and to hear your views even if some don't always agree with them ... you should be big enough to take the opinion of someone who doesn't agree with your point of view and learn to live with it.

I hope you will be able to see some of the nails I have produced for posters and adverts in the next terrible copy of SCRATCH magazine as they are doing a boring feature article on me for June. All the nails I have done for each photo are different. Square, oval, natural, and stilleto. I don't know if they will have room to print them all but you probably won't see them anyway. Come to think of it, it may be hard to find the article itself in amongst all the advertising. :biggrin: I'm trying to be funny ... I hope you smiled.

Take a chill pilll Mui.

I think you need to recount the amount of advertising pages in that issue of scratch. Most Nail rags have only a few pages of step by step or tutorials (krikey, if they had more, they will have covered every single technique in a year).

I seriously doubt you are counting the editorial and interviews (obviously you are not counting my interview). To answer the question about why my interview had the Designer Nails telephone number on it is: (drumroll) That is the number you would need to call to get in touch with me. Thats right, for some odd reason I didnt drop my home number or cell phone number.

I think you need to relax a bit. State your opinion, but dont climb on someones back because they disagree with you.

Personally, I would like to see more substance to Scratch (heck, to Professional Nails too). They are not perfect in their current incarnation, however they are only bound to improve as the industry and the rags themselves grow.
I mean, look at the USA... they have 2 pro mags for an industry that is 10 times the size it is in the UK. Until recently, we have had 3 mags.

BTW: Mui, you dont need to delete your profile. Just don't use it.

sawasdee ka

For me an opinion of some body a customer or a maybe future customer is important .

If alex fox who i have nothing bad to say about him i have speak to him b4 on email i think his father lives in Thailand :biggrin: he sent me some photos on email and speak nice looks at my post at MY opinion on his magazine he MAYBE sit and think oh mui is right we need to make some more pages we are ONLY now a magazine that is FULL of advertising it is looking like a free give away product magazine .

AND there is NOTHING in our magazine to teach young techs or techs that want to learn something even if it is ONLY a set of natural looking pink and whites .

I think the magazine has 27917 subsribers it will MAYBE HAVE 50000 if it would have some editorial on teaching nail teks something even MAYBE me.

No i did not speak bad in my first post i just said that the magazine has too much advertising .

I did not understand fionas post after my post but i answered everything to that post .

I will if i have time today call i think his name is mike from advertising and ask how much money a full page is in scratch for advertising not cheap .

Looking through the post of magazines cost a lot of money to print i think maybe alex fox will tell u that it is Not exspensive to print to the 3.99 they have for a magazine .

I have to go now i have customer coming soon for a set of long square pink and whites .

Mui from the land of smiles

mui said:
sawasdee ka

the england nail magazines have too many page for company advertise products they should give more pages for teach .

when you look a product 1 month why do u want to look the same product every month .

I think the magazines in your country are not very good .

Mui from Thailand

Sawasdee ka

Who was this post disagreeing with .

It is my opinion your magazines have too much advertising .

Next you mention the geek website i do not know what that has to do with my post but sam puts this web site on because he wants to if you give me the money that goes to designer nails profit that comes from contact through this web site i wil pay the monthly fee.
Thats a pretty sour thing to say mui as you know that everything for this site comes out of my pocket and has diddly squat to do with how many more people try ez flow, CND, or Alan roy from using this site. It looks like you are just using the typical cheap shot that people like to take at me.

Tsk tsk tsk.

Your opinion about the excess advertsing is fine. I concur (but without telling people off in the process).

mui said:
sawasdee ka

yes scratch is ok if they put another 10 pages 20 sides and use the 10 pages for showing new tecnique and education tutorials tips sculpting nail art quilting tolepainting it will be a better magazine then it is now for sure .

If i buy a magazine for hair i want it to teach me something not just look at companys photos of shampoo they want to sell :D .

Mui from Thailand
who was this disagreeing with

naturalnails said:
Mui,

do you have magazines in Thailand - if so how much do they cost per year in comparison to a full set of nails

It is very much a catch 22 situation when producing a magazine - they cost lots of money - either this has to be passed on to the subscribers - in which case they might not buy it - or it has to be supplemented by advertisers.

This site is a prime example - I think you and the rest of us would be horrified to know how much it costs Samuel to keep us supplied with this site - but the alternative is unthinkable - pop up ads everywhere.

To keep the cost down for the subscribers - the mags have to take advertising.

In the UK we have what we have and we are all more than happy with what we get for our money.

I would be interested in seeing a good quality, reasonably priced magazine that gives lots of great info BUT DOESNT HAVE ADS - cant see it myself - sorry Mui, but I think a lot of us quite like the ads - it helps us to find what we are looking for and keeps us up to date with whose still out there touting for our business.

what has anything in this post have to do with MY opinion that there is too much advertising in uks magazine scratch .

mui said:
i am sorry but i do not agree with anything that u speak i will answer your post tomorrow .

I wish your post was from somebody else your post was terrible same the magazine .
I didnt think Fionas was the terrible post in this thread.

If companies want to advertize their products to the readers then they sure are not going to turn their money away now are they?

Mui I AGREE WITH YOU AS i SAID IN MY FIRST POST!! I think the magazines could instruct more and have a little more balance. I've been telling them that for years ... OK?

I think that what got everyone going (it's called support not fighting in a pack) was your calling fionas post terrible just because she didn't agree with you. Ok she changed the subject a bit (but was on the theme of adverising) and she has the right to do that in any post as do YOU or I.

Have a great day doing your nails ... :D the kind your customers like :D ..... and I wish you good luck, good fortune and much happiness!

The Nail Geek said:
Thats a pretty sour thing to say mui as you know that everything for this site comes out of my pocket and has diddly squat to do with how many more people try ez flow, CND, or Alan roy from using this site. It looks like you are just using the typical cheap shot that people like to take at me.

Tsk tsk tsk.

Your opinion about the excess advertsing is fine. I concur (but without telling people off in the process).

This website generates enough new customers to designer nails for it to stay online it is not a cheap shot designer nails is going to have BIGGER profits with this web site online then if it is offline .

I was only answering the quote that fiona had made about the web site and still it had nothing to do with my post .

If this web site comes out of your pocket do u or your family not have money from designer nails .

I give up when farang speak black is white you must agree it is white .

somebody please send me the feb march apr may and june scratch magazine please i want to count the advertising in them .

Oh and i will not get a shock that the small bit of writing that is done is on the people that take out the advertising .

mui, I would have a hell of a lot more money in my pocket if I didnt pay for this site as Designer Nails pays me for working for them... not for this site. Designer Nails did perfectly fine before this site and would do perfectly fine without this site.
There are many other companies that have benefitted from this site, but sadly you dont mention them.

Sometimes its just a freaking curse to actually be employeed by a company when you try to do an online community like this for the industry. No matter how unbiased you are... no matter how much work you do to make it all inclusive... people always rely on your employment to take cheap shots at all the thousands of pounds and equal amount of hours spent working on the site.

excuse me whilst I go gently bang my head against a wall

Just wanted to say that Scratch is still a great magazine with tutorials, great articles which are usually very informative, and of course advertising. I would much rather have a mag which cost the consumer less by having the adverts in it.

I would love to see more tutorials but then if they filled it with loads you wouldn't have as much to look forward to in the next one???? Its better to spread it out and have a mixture of articles and tutorials and other informative info or the mag would be accused of being a tutorial mag and not covering all bases.

Also this site is the best i've come across for information and UNBIASED views on ALL products which i have found to be most invaluable to me over the last few months. I suppose you can't please everyone or the world would be a boring place but there's no reason we can't agree to disagree accasionally.

Just my two pence worth:D

Mui and all,

I apologise for slightly changing the subject by commenting on the cost of the mags to produce.

The comments I made about cost of nails etc was to try and get a comparison between the cost of mags in Thailand compared to the cost of mags in the UK - for example if you charge say 25 pounds for a set of nails then the subscription to Scratch for example is about the cost of a set of nails. I hope that makes sense.

I feel Mui, you have a problem with my posts and I don't know what I have done to upset you - I never meant to.

Please dont leave the board as it is very interesting for us to learn what is happening in other parts of the world as I hope you value what happens in the UK and accept that it is different.

Gosh, this industry does evoke passion in us all doesn't it!:D

The overwhelming feeling I have is that a lot is getting "lost in translation". By that I mean the language barrier (and that is not an insult to you Mui, just a statement of fact) and the enormous differences within the nail industries across the world.

The UK magazines are aimed at the UK nail tech and I'm sure the amount of advertising reflects what we as nail techs are prepared to pay for the magazine; ie more advertising, lower price to subscriber.

Please lets not keep taking shots at Sam and the website; we are continuing a line of threads that a recently banned member liked to take.

Look at the new links that Sam has added: a list of websites of nail mags, many other nail companies and affiliated products - an invaluable aid for us all.

And Mui, I am not a creative nail tech and do not currently use their products, so I have no ulterior motive to rise to the defence of Sam or Designer nails. I just do not like the backbiting!:(

In an attempt to nudge this thread back to the original question....... ;)

My first subscription was to 'Nails' magazine and then of course, when 'Scratch' arrived I subscribed to that too. Then last year I subscribed to 'Professional Nails' when it became a single mag rather than a supplement to Pro Beauty.

I've never been keen on Pro Nails, I stated this before on this site and have been asked why (I promise to reply to that pm - just haven't had a spare minute lately!).

Given all the current upheaval with Nails/Pro Nails, if I were you I'd wait for a while to see what's happening and then perhaps ask for a free copy to see which you prefer....... 'Scratch' did this so I'm sure the 'new' Nails mag (as I believe it is going to stay now) will do this for you too. If you only want to subscribe to one mag, choose between 'Nails' and 'Scratch' - the jury is still out for me because I want to see how the new 'Nails' mag compares to the old one.

'Scratch' is great and has ALWAYS been on time for me - except once, when it didn't arrive and they were super quick to send out another for me - thanks!

Jackie
www.LibertyNailDesign.com
Dublin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back