Make-up for sensitive skin.... ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlise

Reaction score
Hi,

It's been a while since I've been on the site, so what better way to come back than to ask a highly intelligent question :lol:

My work colleague who is 58 suffers from really sensitive skin and always used to use Almay make-up.

Since you can't find Almay anymore, she's been using Clarins and Clinique and her face looks terrible. It's all red and blotchy and she's starting to get red bumps on her cheeks that look like spots, but they aren't.

She's asked me if I know of any hypo-allergenic make up that she can use, but I'm just not clued up on things like this.

So my dear skin geeks, can anyone recommend a product for her that she can use? She's desperate !

Thanks

Marlise

Without seeing her skin its difficult to tell. But I would definatly recommend a mineral make up. A proper one not some of the high street ''mineral'' ranges! Something such as, ID, Jane Iredale or Lily Lolo.

Mineral makeup is designed to be used by everyone but is particularly good for those sensitive bunnys out there. It contains no parabans, no fillers, talc, alchohol etc. Infact Jane Iredale's loose base only has 7-9 ingredients in it!

Mineral makeup can be used after peels, laser resurfacing, botox etc so its super gentle. Its also recommend by dermatoogists for those of us who suffer with rosacea or acne.

There is loads of threads about mineral make up on skin geek so have a little search. It also might be worth investigating her skin routine too.

hth

becki xxx

Thanks a lot.

I will pass this on to her.

Marlise

Yes I agree Jane Iredale or Fresh minerals are good - I have really sensitive skin and these products are fab

Well I have sensitive skin, especially around my eyes and I have yet to find any eye make that I can safely wear without irritation.

I have even tried the professional brands mineral make up and I still end up scratching and scratching.:cry:

Sorry thats not a very helpful post is it:eek: :lol: but I would love to hear of any other recommendations and also how your colleague gets on.

Awwww pure thats not nice to hear :cry: (about your skin)

How many different brands have you tried? It might be worth perservering because different brands may suit you differently?

Which brands have you tried?

becki xxx

Awwww pure thats not nice to hear :cry: (about your skin)

How many different brands have you tried? It might be worth perservering because different brands may suit you differently?

Which brands have you tried?

becki xxx

Well I have tried all manner of OTC 'normal' brands, and have tried Lily Lolo, and another mineral one which I can't remember the name of.:rolleyes: But I know that Lily Lolo have very pure ingredients so I can't imagine what it could be.:confused:

Both my eyelids and immediately under the eye area, (where I really need some coverage!) get irritated so easily.

Its weird isn't it? I am assuming you must be allergic to alot of things not just make up? The lady on my training kept saying how the make up was from the ''earths crust'' so your allergic to the earths crust lol!:eek:

Its weird isn't it? I am assuming you must be allergic to alot of things not just make up? The lady on my training kept saying how the make up was from the ''earths crust'' so your allergic to the earths crust lol!:eek:

ooer!! :eek::eek:

I think I am generally a little sensitive but want to cover my dark circles and wera lovely colours on my eye too.:cry:

I haven't tried Bare Escentuals, do you know if they are good?

Dont forget guys that you can also be allergic to the brushes that are used to put the makeup on with, regardless of how pure the product is. I have an allergy to the Kabuki brushes and my neck and lower face area goes very blotchy for the first 10 minutes after the mineral makeup has been applied (tried 2 different mineral ranges). After this it is fine.

Lily Lolo also do a flocked sponge (have ordered but not tried yet) which you can use instead of a Kubuki brush to apply so will be interested to see what difference that makes.

I hadn't thought of the brushes Theresa and could certainly apply for other people who have problems. unfortunately when I tried the make up I used my own brushes from home which I've had for yonks!:rolleyes:

Interesting Oey had never thought of this to be honest!

A friend of mine uses ID and she LOVES it! They are launching in Selfridges this month as from what I understand it is quite difficult go get hold of over here.

With regards to the flocked sponge, don't forget it needs to be used a little damop.

Becki xxx

Blimey! I've just called Bare Escentuals and asked what their salon opening order is and it...£2500!!!:eek::eek:

Blimey! I've just called Bare Escentuals and asked what their salon opening order is and it...£2500!!!:eek::eek:

Lol yes I knew it was high - suppose it explains the lack of salons with it in!

Interesting Oey had never thought of this to be honest!

A friend of mine uses ID and she LOVES it! They are launching in Selfridges this month as from what I understand it is quite difficult go get hold of over here.

With regards to the flocked sponge, don't forget it needs to be used a little damop.

Becki xxx

That's handy.

It means my colleague can go to Selfridges and try it out before she invests in the product.

Thanks for sharing.

M.

Can higly recommend LilyLolo mineral make up, use them on my skin and I have sensitive and dry skin.

Almay was good I now use Prescriptives Prescriptives Online - Official Site and they mix the foundation for you so should be able to produce something for sensitive skins. :hug: They sell in Selfridges x

Jane Iredale definitely gets my vote.

It also contains a SPF.

Recently I've been having a go with mineral makeup.

I have Acne rosacea and my skin reacts to EVERYTHING.

and while I haven't mastered the technique yet,for fully camouflaging my rosacea, I am MUCH happier with the results.

IN fact, I've noticed my face is less itchy and less red.

The other day, I used my liquid just for the ease of it, and by that night,my face was irritated as all get-out.

I'm sticking with mineral makeup from now on.
At some point, I will master it. For now, I'm just being happy to have less flare-ups, and less/no shine AND a more natural coverage that people are complimenting me on.

hth's

Latest posts

Back