Makeup Trial

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerald

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just had to write as I feel fed up. Ok so I went and did a makeup trial today and from the moment i stepped in the house the lady was like telling me how brilliant she is at makeup and how she uses really expensive makeup (from qvc) and just basically giving me the impression that she only wanted a mua to do her makeup for the sake of it. Now i asked her to gather pics for ideas if she needed to describe to me what she wanted but she didnt even do that.
I ask her what look she is wanting and she said really dramatic but verything we tried she hated but she kept saying she doesnt know how to describe it to me. Ok I am not a mind reader so how can I do something she has in her mind but doesnt know how to describe to me??????? I feel really knocked down by her now, I know im good at makeup and that maybe shes just one of them clients that are awkward but i am not a mind reader. sorry for the moan:cry::irked:She said she will let me know but made it clear she would rather do her own makeup for her wedding, she wants to book me for a spray tan tho. She said i was good but it wasnt what she wanted......:irked:

Awww hun, its not your fault if she cant describe what she wants, and you asked her to collect pictures and she didnt, so there wasn't much more you could have done. Except maybe learn how to read minds :lol:

Some clients just expect you to know what they're after.

Wouldnt worry about it! She probably first hand dosnt have a clue about make-up as otherwise she would have been able to get across what she wanted.

I have had cleints before refuse to use any makeup but their own which is often years old and of bad brands. And also had clients whom said they hate things I have done despite me doing a thourough consultation prior to starting!

Moral of the story is you win some you lose some. You know your good, so dont let her knock your confidence its not worth putting a downer on your day! And every beautician has experienced bad or difficult clients at some point in their career!

Kate x

defo one of those clients that would not be happy no matter what you did, if she went out looking like kelly brook she would not be happy. DO NOT let this knock your confidence, like you said you know you are good at make up so dont let one stuck up client ruin that for you. brush it off and forget about it..........

Thanks everyone for the kind words, but you just cant help being a bit fed up when that sorta thing happens, has never happened before. She even asked if she could have a discount on her trial as she didnt acheive her goal that she had in her head.
Oh well, i have a wedding to do tommorow for a really nice lady who has already taken my cards into wedding shops as she has been really happy with her trial.:)

Hi Emerald, on reading your post I wonder if you have considered building a portfolio of your work. You could then use this with good make-up books so your client and you can decide together what look she wants.
A book that I find invaluble (although old now) is Make up your Mind by Francois Nars. Also the Mac Professional web-site is good as there are different Bridal looks which you can print out and add to your portfolio. You must join though and membership is I think £50 a year. :)

Yes i do have a portfolio of my work to show clients, plus a makeup book plus a style folder in which i stick pictures i have cut from magaznes, such as bridal and fashion ones that i can then show clients to give them an idea, but these where still not good enough for this particular client. I am already a member of mac pro as i am prodominently a makeup artist so do look on the site. I think this was just a case of she couldnt be pleased no matter what as she made clear from the start when i walked through the door. Im trying to forget about it now, if she rings for the makeup or the tan yes i will do it but trying to forget about yesterday

You have to remember that a trial is simply a trial and that is what they are booking you for - you can't make them like what your doing.

I don't get offended if someone doesn't want to book me - they should feel comfortable enough to be honest with you.

It is a bummer - but you will get used to people changing your minds, being awkward, trying other mua's, can't get used to wearing make-up - they are brides - that's what they do. I still love it though. Move on - you will be fine. It's just 1 client - you will have loads more of happy clients who will appreciate you.

xxx

i know how you feel i some times you get clients that are just that way and it is nothing at all to do with you so don't let it get you down, i also think that some of them get someone out see how to do the make up and then say no thanks and do it them self s the same way as you have done it keep :) and just carry on.

Latest posts

Back