Male Beauty Therapists?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotmillions

Reaction score
Hi just wondering I am about to start a Beauty Therapy NVQ Level 2 course, and im a GUY (which seeing the faces of the people at the college when i told them what i wanted to enrol in seemed like its a bit rare!)

Anyway I was thinking if guys get hired to regular salons to provide all services? My only worry is because im a GUY so female clients wouldnt want to use me and guys might be scared of me because im a guy and they think im gay or something. Altough im not. I could be wrong but I am just wondering.

Also this is my first post so hey! And im from Manchester UK and currently I work as a BOUNCER which is probably as far away from Beauty Therapy possible :eek:

Thanks in advanced!

Hi, I don't have a lot of professional advice to give you as I too am at collage (adult ed) taking an ITEC in beauty therapy, but when I was enrolled on a City of Guilds Beauty course when I left school (a very long time ago) two guys that I went to school with were on the course with me and they have both done really well although one now lives abroad and caters for retired ex-pats, a different clientelle, and the other moved on to hairdressing and owns his own sallon and has done extremely well.

I would not let being a guy put you off at all, but that is just the way I try to bring my children up to follow their dreams as there is nothing worse than being stuck in a rut and too scared to try - that is just personal opinion now I am older and probably because I played safe when I was younger and did what everyone expected of me - hence my going back to collage to do what I always really wanted to do.

My pre-teen daughter is addicted to americas next top model and a lot of the beauty staff are very trendy guys so why not it could even work in your favour. In my own experience I have been to two health farms for weekend breaks and there have been men working there and I went to centre parcs in holland and a guy did my facial and massage there. Good luck x

Hi!
I have trained many males for Holistic Therapy in South Wales. Some have gone on to do Level 2 Beauty as well and have used their training for work in Spas, Steiner Cruise liners, Care work and their own businesses.
Do not let anyone put you off your dream. If this is what you want to do and you have a passion for it you will succeed.
Good luck to you !

Hi,
Follow your dream. I don't think there are enough Guys in the beauty trade.
It would not put me off if a guy was doing my nails or make up. We are happy for a guy to do our hair, so why not the other treatments.
Plus so many Guys want treatments now, I think they would prefer a male therapist for some treatments. I say go for it.
Everyone on this site will help and encourage you.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Lotsa luv x :hug: x

If you are professional and deliver a good service, you will be successful and have both male and female clients. :hug:

Both Axiom and Martin Duffy are male beauty therapists.

When I first enrolled in my BTEC National Dip (before doing my BTEC HND) 12 years or so ago, there were even fewer males in the beauty industry but I just got on with it to prove I could do the job just as well! In fact, most colleges turned me down, but luckily they were quite forward thinking at Chichester. As a case in point I am one of only a couple of people from that course still in the industry, which goes to show it can be done!

To be honest it's a double-edged sword, you have a point of difference & if you use it well you'll go far, but fall into the trap of believing being a male is a bar to doing the job you won't get anywhere. There's a very old post elsewhere where a male was moaning there were no jobs for men in the industry yet he didn't seem very proactive & turned down offers of help.

The main issue to overcome is client modesty. I leave the room whilst the client gets dressed/undressed & am obsessive with towel coverage. To be honest a lot of my clients say they prefer having a man doing it as I tend to respect their modesty more than most of the female therapists they have had, who often stay in the room whilst they are changing. I think we sometimes forget how vulnerable people feel when half-dressed, especially if they have issues with their appearance.

Last edited:
Hey - welcome to SalonGeek! Guys are coming (very slowly) more common in the industry, but while they are we (as therapists) are in a great position to build a reputation in niche markets. I've been a massage therapist for 8 years, and waxer for about a year and a half now. Both doing well!!

If you have any questions there are quite a few of us guys around so feel free to ask any questions you have.

Good luck and enjoy your course.
Mat

Welcome to Salon Geek!!
You've had some lovely responses, but I wanted to add my own too; GO FOR IT!! You will never know what might have been if you don't try, being male or female doesn't automatically mean you're going to be better at one thing than another. You might just find you study something on the course that puts you head & shoulders above the rest. Don't deny yourself the chance to make something of yourself, and relish the fact that you're different.

I'm planning to open my own place in a year or so, and I would actively look for a male therapist; why not give clients the choice?! I'd go to a man for a massage any day; it's the experience they have that counts. :)
Good luck :) XXX

Latest posts

Back