Male client help, L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katcoulter

Reaction score
Would really appreciate all the help I can get regarding this topic!

A male friend of mine has very badly bitten nails and can't seem to break this bad habit even though it really gets him down, he hates his hands!
He has asked me if I could help him and says he has looked into getting acrylic nails but would rather I did them than go to another salon.. I have never created 'new nails' for a man before and was wondering if any of you have? How would I go about this l + p service and keep them as 'masculine' looking as possible? I would really love to help him!
Thank you!

Would really appreciate all the help I can get regarding this topic!

A male friend of mine has very badly bitten nails and can't seem to break this bad habit even though it really gets him down, he hates his hands!
He has asked me if I could help him and says he has looked into getting acrylic nails but would rather I did them than go to another salon.. I have never created 'new nails' for a man before and was wondering if any of you have? How would I go about this l + p service and keep them as 'masculine' looking as possible? I would really love to help him!
Thank you!

I have done it quite a few times and it is fun and easy and immediately transforms the hands.

First you do not do any white or soft white free edge ... not at all .. it looks really fake on a guy.

I do it using CND natural Retention+ powder. Apply to the nail with no tip`and start by just overlaying the nail that is there and extending the bitten edge just a tiny bit beyond where it is bitten just to regularise the shape; pat the bead out onto the skin a tiny bit if you have to but make sure there is no broken skin or soreness before you do it. don't take it to the edge of the finger and make them look weird .. just a tad past the bitten edge.

File finish by smoothing all the edges and surface as normal but ending with a soft buffer .. like a white block ... this keeps the nail surface matte and masculine looking.

Keep an eye on the nails every week and infill whenever you think it is necessary until his own nail begins to show through when growing out. Dont leave any rough edges that will tempt him to pick.

Make him purchase and use Solar Oil and When his own nails have grown out a bit, and look more normal, I would remove and use Brisa Lite smoothing gel which is easy to maintain .. it is practically invisible on the nail and no one will know but him. Nail biters need smooth nails ... otherwise they pick. Create that for him and He will feel a different person immediately and thank you forever.

Thank you so much for such a fast and informative response Geeg!
At first I thought he was just kidding, after speaking to him thoroughly about it I do believe it will make a big difference not only to how his hands and nails look but to his confidence and I would love to be a part of that!
He is a mechanic so I will be keeping them as short as possible to see how he manages intially!
I know I feel much better with a lovely set of nails, I hope he will too! Thanks again!!

Thank you so much for such a fast and informative response Geeg!
At first I thought he was just kidding, after speaking to him thoroughly about it I do believe it will make a big difference not only to how his hands and nails look but to his confidence and I would love to be a part of that!
He is a mechanic so I will be keeping them as short as possible to see how he manages intially!
I know I feel much better with a lovely set of nails, I hope he will too! Thanks again!!

You are welcome. It is one of the most satisfying things we do as technicians ... to make a real difference to someone's confidence. Makes me feel like a queen.

One of my memorable clients was a guy .. a TV producer for Yorkshire television and his bitten nails were just ghastly and made him look like a tramp rather than a gentleman.; he was mortified about his appearance. He came to me for about a year and then he kicked the habit for good. Made a hell of a difference to him.

Im totally with Geeg on this, I have an ex biter I saw today actually.

I did it just as described above, about a year ago. He is now totally natural and a fantastic, loyal client.

Its amazing that something just as a natural set of nails can transform a persons confidence, so so rewarding to be part of.
In my clients family photo's you see him always hiding his hands/closing his fists etc to hide his nails... now he talks with his hands and takes such pride in them.

He's a quite dapper older man who loves fashion and this was one thing that he felt so embarrassed by... not any more!
Enjoy it!

I also done this for guy who was getting married he was worried about the photos of the rings.
He grew his nails and now comes for a manicure.
I also do a guy who plays a guitar in a band.

I agree but have another suggestion. I often do the nails for a well known person whose hands are seen working. He has very bad psoriasis on his nails and they are totally wrecked with white lifted nails on the nail bed and lots of exposed skin.

I do put a very vague impression of a tiny edge (probably less than 1mm) but on the skin just below the end of the finger with soft white and no sharp smile line. Then to cover all the devastation I use a camouflage powder mixed with clear. Buffed and with no gloss.

You'd have to look closely to see they were false. Not a lot of strength as so much skin on some nails but if they popped off when he needed them thry just get popped right back with some adhesive. This would improve with a biter as the nail is getting longer all the time. Weekly appointments essential for a few weeks.

Thanks everyone! I am really looking forward to helping this client and I hope so much that it helps him with his confidence more than anything. I can't wait to see the difference it makes! Maybe it will also encourage more guys to have l+p enhancements to help them kick the habit too and as geeg rightly said, turn them into the hands of a gentleman!

I will attach some images of the clients nails as they are now and after I have hopefully transformed them I shall post a before and after!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368107329.018278.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368107329.018278.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 267
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368107337.011610.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368107337.011610.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 268
Trial run on my dad last night! Pictures aren't great but still shows a big improvement :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368364431.267088.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368364431.267088.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 262
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368364463.133369.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368364463.133369.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 261
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368364506.417252.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368364506.417252.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 257
Trial run on my dad last night! Pictures aren't great but still shows a big improvement :)

They look brilliant, what a transformation! :) x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I did what Geeg suggested only using the brand I use (young nails)
All prep work as usual then applied overlay to natural nail and just extended ever so slightly to correct shape, smoothed with white block and applied cuticle oil hence a little more shine! They're not exactly matte but just a slight sheen as my dad preferred that look! He loves them!!

Thanks everyone!! :)

Fantastic! You've done a great job.

Really great job, kat! Well done. The best bit about them is that you haven't tried to make them all regular and perfect as that would have looked very fake. You have followed the basic line of what he had and I don't think anyone would really guess.

The other guy's nails are an even bigger challenge but I think the improvement will be vast and they will get better and better as he keeps going and letting them grow out and having them rebalanced.

I always think the first and subsequent rebalanced nails look better than the original full set as they take on the more natural look of a real nail.

Really great job, kat! Well done. The best bit about them is that you haven't tried to make them all regular and perfect as that would have looked very fake. You have followed the basic line of what he had and I don't think anyone would really guess.

The other guy's nails are an even bigger challenge but I think the improvement will be vast and they will get better and better as he keeps going and letting them grow out and having them rebalanced.

I always think the first and subsequent rebalanced nails look better than the original full set as they take on the more natural look of a real nail.

Thank you again, so much! I agree, the other guy's nails will definitely be more of a challenge! I am glad my dad let me use him as my guinea pig (and even happier at how pleased he is) as this has given me the confidence boost I needed to take on this trickier set as I know now that I AM capable of helping my client successfully!

Thank you everyone :D

I did what Geeg suggested only using the brand I use (young nails)
All prep work as usual then applied overlay to natural nail and just extended ever so slightly to correct shape, smoothed with white block and applied cuticle oil hence a little more shine! They're not exactly matte but just a slight sheen as my dad preferred that look! He loves them!!

Thanks everyone!! :)

WOW!!! You have done an amazing job katcoulter, what a transformation. :D:D:D

These are incredible, well done! Your client will be one happy bunny when you do his. Look forward to seeing the transformation! :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back