Male facials/grooming

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrummyb

Reaction score
I want to encourage more male clients to visit my home based salon. Specifically I would like to offer facials and use products tailored to the male client. I dont want to include shaving. I currently offer Crystal Clear microdermabrasion and Gerard's facial and can adapt these to male clients but am not getting any interest. Would also like to offer manicures, pedicures, massage, tinting/shaping and waxing. Again I offer all of these treatments to male clients but dont seem to be attracting any. Am going to set up a page specifically for men on my website but would like to use a well known and trusted brand on them. Any recommendations please especially re facial products. Many thanks in advance/for looking. :o

Just a general point for you to consider, is your salon decor neutral enough to appeal to men? I think you can have a great treatment menu but if your salon is very female focused eg pink and fluffy a lot of men find that quite intimidating and wouldnt go there. Im not criticising this kind of decor if you (or anyone else) has it but it may be worth asking some male friends or colleagues for some honest feedback as to whether they would feel comfortable there and also to ask them what kind of treatments they would like to see? If its attractive to them great and go for it and if not it gives you the chance to change things if you want to. Good luck x

It's about how you sell them.

Don't go for gimmicks ... If a guy wants a facial he'll book a facial. It doesn't need to be all butched up with some bad pun of a name. I hate seeing a 'sports manicure' or MANicure. I hate sport and I want a manicure ... Not some bad capitalisation.

What you do need to do is work on descriptions. Girls like things that sound lovely, the descriptions of the aromas, the flop urial essences, the oils, the fact you will leave feeling like you have more youthful skin.

Guys want to know it will help calm razor rash, it will help control their oily skin, it will help sooth their sunburn. They want results not airy fairy floaty.

Microdermabrasion is amazing for guys ... Acne scarring, dry skin etc.

Results and facts sell. Best example I saw was Espa had a balancing moisturiser in their standards no men's ranges - same product but totally different descriptions.

Mat

Thanks for tip. The male clients I have had all comment on a great set up so I think decor etc are OK. Certainly dont do pink fluffy stuff or fairy lights. Also have a pic of studios/salon on my web page people can see exactly what they are getting. As suggested, will ask male clients what they thought/think of decor. Good point.

Thanks Mat, that is really helpful. Was actually going to do some play on words but think your advice is quite right and enlightening. Still would like some suggestions on Salon Professional Products for men as my current skin care ranges dont do this specifically. Many thanks again.

When I offered facial treatments I used Thalgo and Eve Taylor products. I didn't use the particular men's range as I found that the core range had enough great products that allowed me to offer a good range of treatments and good service. . For me I think that describing your treatments clearly and what they deliver is more important than the smell or colour of the range. I would not be put off by floral fragrances etc..

Good luck

Hi there.. I do a lot of mens facials, and use tow brands. The first Range I use is Environ - I actually love their products and their philosophy, and the results are pretty amazing. They have products to tackle more or less any skin problems or concerns. I offer courses of treatments - and if they purchase a facial course of 6 treatments - they pay for only 5.

The environ range is a great results Driven range - and this is what a lot of men want to hear and see - a real difference in the look and feel of their skin.

I then also use the Neals Yard remedies Products - and this is an entirely different range.

I have some clients that just ant the pampering, "nice" , relaxing facial - and use the Neals Yard range for this, as the essential oils in them and the other fragrances do calm the mind as well as soothing and refreshing the skin, and it does give a totally relaxing experience.

then of course I have the clients that aren't interested in the "feel nice" pampering facial - they want the results - and thats where Environ comes in

Not sure this helps at all - but just thought I would mention what I use

Good luck with it all - would be nice to know how you get on and what you do decide to use
Terry

Latest posts

Back