Male massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordon

Reaction score
I would like to know everyone's policy on male massage please.
I myself am not comfortable massaging men I do not know and am starting a new female only policy unless they're a gentleman I know.
Am I stupid?
I feel like you're going to answer yes.
I would just really appreciate feedback from the rest of you x

I should probably add that, I've just had to ring an accidentally booked male customer and explain to his girlfriend as he was unavailable and she seemed annoyed and now I'm just worried there's going to be difficulty especially as she's now a hair customer. Don't get me wrong she is a lovely woman I'm just very worried now and want to cry.

Working in spas it was possible to do a massage on a number of male clients each day. It's something I'm not phased by and it's sometimes an opportunity to do some good deep tissue work if they're muscular and like a lot of pressure.

That said I can see why you might feel how you do with regards to lone working and the whole point of being self employed, I think, is having more control over what you do and don't want to do. I'd say there's nothing wrong with a male client wanting a massage but because you're self employed it really is up to you.

Can I ask why you don't feel comfortable massaging men? I personally don't have an issue with massaging men, as long as you maintain professionalism throughout it really should not be an issue. We have safeguarding in place like one of the other staff members will walk past the treatment door during treatment so the man knows there is always assistance to staff, we also don't lock the treatment room door. If anyone ever acted inappropriately, male or female, we would cease the treatment & politely ask them to leave. The majority of our therapists wouldn't feel comfortable doing intimate male waxing though & so we made a conscious decision not to offer this treatment for men in our salon. Your missing out on a large sector of potential clients by not offering massage to men, however if you do not feel comfortable offering male treatments & this has the potential to affect your ability to provide a professional service then it is your decision to choose not to offer it. Xx

I should probably add that, I've just had to ring an accidentally booked male customer and explain to his girlfriend as he was unavailable and she seemed annoyed and now I'm just worried there's going to be difficulty especially as she's now a hair customer. Don't get me wrong she is a lovely woman I'm just very worried now and want to cry.

Ouch! (Just read this....we were posting at the same time).

I can see why the client is annoyed because it was already booked and you know her as a client anyway so in some people's eyes that should be seen as enough of a reference for her male partner who wants the treatment.

Look its happened now. I wouldn't recommend going back on your word about not doing the treatment as this could lead to more awkwardness if they do choose to go with you. I think if you want to have a no male massage policy then either embrace it and be consistent about it or have a think about how else to navigate it if you want to have certain policies in place to vet male clients.

Again it os your business, it is up to you but it may be worth printing something in your promotional material to avoid mistake bookings being made. Chin up tis all a learning curve.

I don't think you should feel the need to justify why you don't feel comfortable massaging men. Some people do some people don't.

I've had some lovely male clients come for a massage over the years. I do feel a bit sorry for the gender in this regard but I can understand it too so yeah.

I don't think you should feel the need to justify why you don't feel comfortable massaging men. Some people do some people don't.

I've had some lovely male clients come for a massage over the years. I do feel a bit sorry for the gender in this regard but I can understand it too so yeah.

Just to clarify I wasn't asking Jordon to justify herself, I was asking, as I have a therapist friend who also chooses not to massage make clients as she had a bad experience with a particular client & this put her off.

It is indeed your personal decision to choose what treatments you do on male clients.

You aren't stupid. There are a lot of women who don't feel comfortable treating male clients. That's your choice.

I would just say that your policy is not to treat male clients and you're sorry for the confusion.

A female only policy might make things easier for you but it's completely your choice x

Working in spas it was possible to do a massage on a number of male clients each day. It's something I'm not phased by and it's sometimes an opportunity to do some good deep tissue work if they're muscular and like a lot of pressure.

That said I can see why you might feel how you do with regards to lone working and the whole point of being self employed, I think, is having more control over what you do and don't want to do. I'd say there's nothing wrong with a male client wanting a massage but because you're self employed it really is up to you.
No they deserve to have massages too! But customers deserve a therapist who can fully devote themselves to their treatment and the customer not someone who feels uncomfortable even if they don't show it. I just want to give my customers a lovely experience x

Ouch! (Just read this....we were posting at the same time).

I can see why the client is annoyed because it was already booked and you know her as a client anyway so in some people's eyes that should be seen as enough of a reference for her male partner who wants the treatment.

Look its happened now. I wouldn't recommend going back on your word about not doing the treatment as this could lead to more awkwardness if they do choose to go with you. I think if you want to have a no male massage policy then either embrace it and be consistent about it or have a think about how else to navigate it if you want to have certain policies in place to vet male clients.

Again it os your business, it is up to you but it may be worth printing something in your promotional material to avoid mistake bookings being made. Chin up tis all a learning curve.
Had a girl helping on reception while one of the hairdressers was on holiday and she didn't know, just totally forget to mention it as apart from a lady every Saturday I don't really do massage. I've always preferred the aesthetic side to the business as opposed to the relaxation side. X

Can I ask why you don't feel comfortable massaging men? I personally don't have an issue with massaging men, as long as you maintain professionalism throughout it really should not be an issue. We have safeguarding in place like one of the other staff members will walk past the treatment door during treatment so the man knows there is always assistance to staff, we also don't lock the treatment room door. If anyone ever acted inappropriately, male or female, we would cease the treatment & politely ask them to leave. The majority of our therapists wouldn't feel comfortable doing intimate male waxing though & so we made a conscious decision not to offer this treatment for men in our salon. Your missing out on a large sector of potential clients by not offering massage to men, however if you do not feel comfortable offering male treatments & this has the potential to affect your ability to provide a professional service then it is your decision to choose not to offer it. Xx
Hi [emoji4] it's not all men, just strange men, I just always think something is going happen that is inappropriate. Not in a big headed way! I don't walk around thinking I'm angelina jolie haha, I just hear things from other therapists and read things on here and get a bit chewed. I think I'd stop massage completely, not only for the indifference towards it but I also have an issue with the joints in my wrists and the bones in my hands, if weren't for the wonderful lady who comes every Saturday for a massage who I've come to be very fond of. X

Your not stupid at all. Its your business and therefore your decision. I do massage men and haven't got a problem with it at all, indeed men are often the most loyal clients. However as I work from my home I do have a policy of only seeing male clients by recommendation of current clients. I don't book male clients that contact me because they have seen my website and have absolutely no qualms in explaining why I won't book an appointment for them, and I would say that 99% of the men who I refuse to see are very understanding when I explain why. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

I too have a female only policy. Purely as I work home alone and worry having men in the house alone. I also know it makes my husband feel more comfortable.

I do however offer a late night session on Wednesdays for males should they wish to book in. This is because my husband will be home adding to the safety.

X

Thanks for everyone's points of view and input xxxx

I would never take male clients when I worked from home. If you're happy doing it, great, but I never was. This is your business so just stick with what you're comfortable with. If you don't want to massage men then don't.

Now we're in a salon we do quite a lot of male clients but we always check that another therapist is around. I often go in and work on paperwork etc if a therapist would be on their own.

Ironically there is a massage place very near us that offers massage with happy endings. Their advertising leaves you in no doubt that you won't just be getting a massage so I do wonder why men go to genuine therapists and ask for more which does happen.

Vic x

I would never take male clients when I worked from home. If you're happy doing it, great, but I never was. This is your business so just stick with what you're comfortable with. If you don't want to massage men then don't.

Now we're in a salon we do quite a lot of male clients but we always check that another therapist is around. I often go in and work on paperwork etc if a therapist would be on their own.

Ironically there is a massage place very near us that offers massage with happy endings. Their advertising leaves you in no doubt that you won't just be getting a massage so I do wonder why men go to genuine therapists and ask for more which does happen.

Vic x
There's one near where my boyfriend lives in sheffield , it was a on to recently and my customers had a good laugh asking me if that's the reason I'm always visiting sheffield [emoji38] cheeky minxes.
Do you ever have people assuming you are also like this 'massage parlour' due to our proximity? X

There's one near where my boyfriend lives in sheffield , it was a on to recently and my customers had a good laugh asking me if that's the reason I'm always visiting sheffield [emoji38] cheeky minxes.
Do you ever have people assuming you are also like this 'massage parlour' due to our proximity? X
I don't know but we actually have the same uniform lol.

There's no doubt that our massage is very above board and we have never ever had inappropriate comments from male clients x

I don't know but we actually have the same uniform lol.

There's no doubt that our massage is very above board and we have never ever had inappropriate comments from male clients x
Oh no! Oops! That's hilarious! I bet tht was a shock for both parties haha! X

I've had to come to (what for me) is a difficult decision to refuse men unless they're referred by a current female client. I've done male massage for years thinking they genuinely need this treatment and they're not accepted at all salons. But over a period of 2 years I've had a string of various men who've been dodgy. One sends me rude texts which I ignore. Another wanted to go naked without towels! I've had weird phone calls from men in their cars, plus more stories! It makes me wish I'd not started taking unknown men. You do what you feel is right for your business. If your decision makes you happy, then it will work for you.

I've had to come to (what for me) is a difficult decision to refuse men unless they're referred by a current female client. I've done male massage for years thinking they genuinely need this treatment and they're not accepted at all salons. But over a period of 2 years I've had a string of various men who've been dodgy. One sends me rude texts which I ignore. Another wanted to go naked without towels! I've had weird phone calls from men in their cars, plus more stories! It makes me wish I'd not started taking unknown men. You do what you feel is right for your business. If your decision makes you happy, then it will work for you.

Thank you, I'm sorry you've had to deal with that it's not fair on you and it ruins things for other genuinely lovely men that just want a bit of relaxation x

Latest posts

Back