Mani-Q Gel, can colour be added?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kajay

Reaction score
I have used Mani-Q gel for twinkle toes with glitter, by sprinkling it over the first layer of the gel, and curing, then finishing with another coat and curing to finish. I do know that you can use it on natural finger nails too, but wondered if I could mix glitter with it, rather than sprinkling like I did for toes, and if I could add a colour to it, and if so what would I use for colour adding. I haven't used the 'normal' gels before, as I haven't trained in the use of them as yet, only L & P, so have no idea how colour is added to gels. I have a client who would like to have the Mani-Q treatment, but I would like to offer her a colour if possible, rather than just the natural colour of the gel.

Hi there,

This weekend I've been to a dutch fair for beauty and nails (of course:)).
Greg himself was there (have a beautiful stilletonail from him!) and did a demonstration with mani-q.
He made a mixture of 50% mani-q and 50% nailpolish. When you add that to an natural nail it will last like normal mani-q will do and....if the client want to fill up the cuticle area, she can just polish her nails till she comes back for refill. So you can sell not only the treatment for mani-q but also a bottle of nailpolish. Clever thinking!!

Hope this helped you a little.

Thank you so much for that, and I am going out today to buy some nice nail polishes to try this out on my next Mani q client :) How cool is this forum!!! :))))

Hi there,

Greg himself was there (have a beautiful stilletonail from him!) and did a demonstration with mani-q.
He made a mixture of 50% mani-q and 50% nailpolish. When you add that to an natural nail it will last like normal mani-q will do and....if the client want to fill up the cuticle area, she can just polish her nails till she comes back for refill. So you can sell not only the treatment for mani-q but also a bottle of nailpolish. Clever thinking!!

Are you sure he mixed the ManiQ with nail polish???... Maybe it was another colour gel he mixed in with it??

I couldn't imagine anyone mixing gel with polish :eek:

Hi Karen,

Yes I'm sure it was nailpolish.
Why can't you imagine anyone mixes gel with polish?
I don't see the problem.

Greetz,
Rianne

Hi Karen,

Yes I'm sure it was nailpolish.
Why can't you imagine anyone mixes gel with polish?
I don't see the problem.

Greetz,
Rianne

I just couldn't imagine how it would chemically work.... but hey who I am to question it:).. if Greg did it, then it must be OK

I don't think I'll chance it though

I might get one of my little piggies to try it out for me. They will give anything a go. I will let you all know in due course! :)

I might get one of my little piggies to try it out for me. They will give anything a go. I will let you all know in due course! :)

I'll be dying to know how you get on... keep us posted!!
:hug:

Hi there,

WOW - this is fascinating to me! I use Young nails and also have ManiQ - I just recently spoke to the UK supplier about coloured ManiQ and they didnt say anything about this! Am def going to try it -I was about to buy Axxium kit from OPI at about £300 so I'm def going to try this first. Have you any idea how long the curing time Greg went with? Also - did her go one coat ManiQ clear first as a base or straight into the colour hybrid?

Thanks.....

Sharon xx

This works like a charm! You just pour out some mani q onto a regular ceramic tile, pour out the same amount of polish, mix it together well with your gel brush and apply it just like gel polish. It is beautiful over enhancements or on natural nails. It goes on so smooth-- you will love it!

Carla Collier

Thankyou for that Carla.

Hi Carla - could you possibly tell us how log you cure the mixture for please?
Thanks
Sharon xx

I flash cure each nail for a couple of seconds and then cure each coat for 2 minutes. Then if I am applying it over enhancements I apply my tackless sealer over the top, cure 2 minutes. If applying over natural nails I use a soak off gel top coat like Gelish or OPI soak off gel top coat in the blue bottle and cure for 2 mins.

Carla

I love the Gelish top coat. Shine is amazing, not at all like other soak off topcoats.

This sounds like a great idea.
Does it only work with Mai-Q or other gels too, would it depend on the manufacturer?

I'll be dying to know how you get on... keep us posted!!
:hug:

yes, please let me know how it works. I use Young Nail products as well. I have the Keilidiscope paint as well.

I had heard about this and took along an OPI polish to Excel last weekend. I had one of the Young Nails trainers demonstrate the system on me. So far it has lasted as well as all the other gel polish nails I had done on the day. It is just as shiney, applied just as quickly and has no wear showing so far. The colour is very true to the original OPI polish.

The demonstrator mixed it 50/50 polish and Mani-Q clear gel.

I bought some and have tried it three times now - it works really well. I am applying a base coat of Mani-Q clear, two coats of the polish gel mix and then a top coat of Mani-Q clear. You can only mix as much as you need for one application as the polish dries.

A good tip I got from another website is to use a flat brush to apply the mix.

stretje: I am really envious that you actually had Greg himself apply yours! I would have loved that.

Hi, this is very interesting...how are u all prepping natural nails for this? Do u de shine and apply a bonder? Or just prep like shellac?

I am not removing shine. I do usual prep plus a coat of Young Nails ProteinBond.

Latest posts

Back