Manicure and ridge problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jospurs

Reaction score
Hi

I had a lady today who had really bad ridges in some of her nails today, she just wanted a manicure so i shaped her nails, did cuticle etc. Is there anything i could of done with the ridges.

Jo

CND do a base coat called Ridge Out - which is excellent for masking some ridges - under enamel it gives a really smooth appearance - but I don't think it would work on really pronounced ridges.

I suppose it depends on how ridgy the ridges were?! As to whether you could have done anything else?

Sorry to be vague.

what about using a nail buffer of some sorts ??grit - although how often you can use it without damage say ?weekly manicure - a real expert will come along and help us.........:)

Yes I hope so. Experts please help!!

Ridge Out is a fab manicure product (as already mentioned) :wink2:

You don't really want to be buffing the ridges too much otherwise you will thin the nail plate.

You could apply a natural nail overlay to make them smooth.

Ok but they looked very brown, not very nice. This would still show under th overlay.

hi hun buffing cream and nice leather buffer will help buff in direction of nail growth advice on weekly treatments it should help !!:lol:

hi
you can use ridge fillers ,you can also use a buffer but only a little as you dont want to damage the nail plate ,hope this helps you good luck hun.xxxxxx:green:

Last edited:
Sorry if this is contradictory, but buffing out ridges with cream and chamois buffer (I'm talking about the amount of buffing you'd have to do to remove ridges here, not just normal buffing) will thin the nail plate just the same as using an abrasive.

Do you know what caused the ridges?

I also have heavily ridged toenails (just my big toes!) and find that as part of this, the nail plate is very thick to start with. Therefore a little sensible buffing causes no problems whatsoever - it just thins the plate to a more normal thickness. I would check the actual thickness of the clients nail plate and if thickened as mine is a combination of ridge filler plus a regular buffing works wonders.

Sorry if this is contradictory, but buffing out ridges with cream and chamois buffer (I'm talking about the amount of buffing you'd have to do to remove ridges here, not just normal buffing) will thin the nail plate just the same as using an abrasive.
no your not been contradictory hun you do it over time to help them god forbid trying to get them all smooth poor lady would have no nail plate !! as i sais i would advice weekly treatments to begin with :lol:

No I don't have a clue what caused them, the lady is a new customer.

Thanks, lissa...not sure what to say as I'm new here!

I myself have rhuematoid arthritis, as does one of my clients. We both have deep ridges in our nails. Any form of arthritis can cause ridges, as can age or medications. I use a coloured gel on my own nails which levels out the ridges, and I've applied tips with l&p to her with no problems.

lightly buff the nails on a weekly basis and sell her some cuticle oil a good quality one with jojoba and vit e. the nails could be getting ridgy from being dry tell her to use it 2x a day see if it helps.

Latest posts

Back